Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine trouble is unavoidable

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Carnut - Careful with your use of "all". A very small percentage of 993's and 996's have problems. Naturally on a huge forum like this we hear about them.

You are really talking about less than 1 percent having a problem - except for the wiring harness on the 95-96 993 which is subject to a recall and free replacement. You can thank a forum member, DJ, for that. He was the driving force.

FWIW I had a 95 993. I tracked it til last year. I did 15 - 20 DE days a year. I replaced pads and rotors, tires and changed the fluids frequently. The new owner tracks it too and the car is in mint shape. Porsche makes very durable cars. Follow the other good advice about a proper inspection, be prepared to invest a few K to make the car perfect and you will enjoy one of the nicest cars Porsche has ever made and certainly the best looking 911.

best,
Old 03-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Carnut - Careful with your use of "all". A very small percentage of 993's and 996's have problems. Naturally on a huge forum like this we hear about them.

You are really talking about less than 1 percent having a problem - except for the wiring harness on the 95-96 993 which is subject to a recall and free replacement. You can thank a forum member, DJ, for that. He was the driving force.

FWIW I had a 95 993. I tracked it til last year. I did 15 - 20 DE days a year. I replaced pads and rotors, tires and changed the fluids frequently. The new owner tracks it too and the car is in mint shape. Porsche makes very durable cars. Follow the other good advice about a proper inspection, be prepared to invest a few K to make the car perfect and you will enjoy one of the nicest cars Porsche has ever made and certainly the best looking 911.

best,
Bob,
EJ was in charge of the wiring harness issue........DJ is in charge of Haiku......
Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if I can add to the long discussion at this point, but considering we currently have a 993 and Elise in the garage...

Long story short - The Elise just doesn't do it for me. The 993 - wow!!!

Short story long - The Elise feels like a toy, does not have the heart and soul of the 993, is hard to get in/out of, has huge blind spots, is not very practical for daily use, leaks when it rains, etc. The The Elise is missing many practicalities, taking away from the fun when driving on the road. It's like the designers of the Elise focused solely on the suspension and chassis, leaving all else as an afterthought. It's not refined.

Driving the Elise if very similar to driving a Kart. So, if you like Karting, you'll like the Elise. But if you're looking for something you can comfortably drive, choose the 993.

Last thing - problems with the 993 are known because they have been around for 10 years. Who knows what is in store regarding the Elise's longevity. And who has the better reputation for reliability - Porsche or Lotus??
Old 03-10-2005, 07:32 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I thought about it for a "minute" and then went and got my 993 targa. If you are doing alot of thinking on anything you want to buy, it means you are not really set on buying it. Enjoy life!!!
and be a safe driver.
Andrew
Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

It is the best car I have ever owned in 40+ years. I spent too much time sitting in commuter traffic in my previous '87. I believe that contributed to valve guide wear and a top end rebuild at 116K. None in sight now.

Where is the HWFMR Breakfast Chef when you need him?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
You can thank a forum member, DJ, for that. He was the driving force.
You know Bob, it really hurts that you would cornfuse me with that hairless freak...
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

EJ insulted
Or, maybe he's just cornfused
Bob smoked the wrong J.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 AM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

Carnut....sshhh...don't tell my 97 turbo this...it has 146K miles and still has the original clutch/rotors/pads/valves/turbos...
Old 03-11-2005, 01:28 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

The Cars you are looking at are all different. As far as "Porsche" problems, yes, some have problems and some don't, but as far as the 993, once the guides are replaced with stronger ones, people don't have issues with them again. Read about all of the problems with newer BMWs, Mercedes and Audis because of their ludicrous electronic systems. My Dad's e46 M3 has had 2 engine out rebuilds [albeit under warranty] because heads were blowing up on them. I drove a 996 for 57,000 miles and had zero issues with it.

Bottom line: All cars have interesting faults [unless they are a toyota or honda pretty much, but those are for the most part boring]. Drive the cars, make your decision, don't scare yourself out of owning one.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

75K on mine and no valve guide problems.
It's now a fair weather weekend driver
Old 03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
hawk993
Racer

All cars have interesting faults [unless they are a toyota or honda pretty much, but those are for the most part boring].
Hey folks, I have to ring the bell...Toyota and Honda are great cars, but they have problems too! Nothing is perfect, except in this thread where the Toyota and Hondas are!

OH and before someone screams FOUL...I have a new Acura MDX, which is basically a Honda...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ
EJ insulted
Or, maybe he's just cornfused
Bob smoked the wrong J.
Another classic
Old 03-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two 993's, three 911's. No problems. Don't let valve guide issues or other random thoughts keep you from owning a great car.

All cars have to be maintained. Take your time, find a good one, take care of it, you'll be fine. You will love having a 993. Period.

Couch time over. The receptionist will charge your credit card. Have a nice day! :-)
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk993
Toyota and Honda are great cars, but they have problems too! Nothing is perfect, except in this thread where the Toyota and Hondas are!
Well, I have 2500 miles on my Toyota and no problems yet.

Dave
Old 03-12-2005, 09:42 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carnut- there is lots of information out there and I think you came to the right place to get info from actual owners. When I was looking for my 993 I was told to buy the best example I could afford. I followed that advice and I've not been disappointed. As far as engine replacements etc., I've heard of 986/996 that have had them do to RMS issues. I've had the RMS leak on my Boxster, not a big deal-still drives like a top. My 993, drives like a top and you should hear that engine. As others have said, life is short-get the best you can find and enjoy it.

I guess I'm lost as to the post about Mike Cap- He has always been an asset to me and any questions that I've asked.

Quick Reply: Engine trouble is unavoidable