Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil change interval ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil change interval ??

Porsche says every 15,000 miles and I wonder what the reasoning is for shortening this interval. I have heard many knowledgeable people say I should change it at 3,000 mile intervals or 5,000. I'm just driving on the street. I doubt the additive package breaks down so quickly. The filter is doing its job. Saying that Porsche just wants the car to wear out seems more conspiritorial than I'm comfortable accepting. So my question to those of you that recommend shorter intervals is why.....and "it can't hurt" doesn't count.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
jla3317
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the Porsche Driving Experience last year, the head of the program said if you use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in your car and are an average driver who uses the car on a regular basis there is no reason to change your oil for at least 10,000 miles. I currently use Mobil 0W-40, "European Car Formula," (as recommended by dealer for use in Midwest) and have 8,000 miles from last change. I plan on having some work done on the car soon by the nearest dealer and will have the oil changed then, will probably be around 8,500 miles by then. Hope this helps!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 AM
johnwelch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3,000 mile intervals are the work of marketing departments.

Seriously though, as oil technology improves, and engine technology improves the interval should increase, not decrease. Audi recommended longer intervals in Europe than in the US because customer feedback in the US was that the European interval was too long. Effective advertising by Pennzoil, et al.

I change at 7500, and do a full filter/oil change at 15000. I change one of the two filters at the 7500 interval, I just can't remember if it's the big or small one right now. I use Mobil 1 15w-50 (?), the red cap.

My mind is going, I can't seem to remember simple details...

EDIT: I'm not tied to mileage. I also go by time. I put about 1K/month on my car. I will change at 6 months, regardless of mileage.

Quick Reply: Oil change interval ??