Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trouble getting car into neutral on deceleration....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Trouble getting car into neutral on deceleration....

Monique writes in another thread, "The (RS) clutch has a GT3 part number. You'll probably never need another clutch."

I am not so certain that this is true....my neighbor has the LWF/RS clutch setup, me too. He has about 10,000 miles on the set up, I have 30,000. Both of us have trouble putting our cars into neutral coming to a stop sign. On deceleration it is a bitch to get the car into neutral above about 10 mph. On the track...no problems, but on the street, problems. I have been told that some internal shifting mechanism needs to be lubricated, and that entails removing the transmission, ouch! I have also been told that the problem would go away with a new clutch, ouch again.

He is contemplating going back to the dual mass to eliminate this problem once and for all...I am not there yet; I still love the quick spin up with the LWF.

Anyone else had this problem and had it fixed? I have done a serch on this topic...no real solid answers are to be found.

Thanks....
Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh man, you just ruined my morning!
i have about 10k on my lwf/rs clutch...no problems yet (knock on wood).
Old 04-13-2005, 12:38 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Martin,

It's probably rust on the output shaft. Gotta use the special Porsche lube on it, or it rusts. Get it fixed right away, or it will tear up the synchros. Don't wait.

There are threads on this, because I remember posting about it long ago...
Old 04-13-2005, 01:12 PM
mborkow
Drifting

here is one previous thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t+output+shaft
(that was the only one that i found for "rust output shaft" in the 993 forum
Old 04-13-2005, 04:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ
Martin,

It's probably rust on the output shaft. Gotta use the special Porsche lube on it, or it rusts. Get it fixed right away, or it will tear up the synchros. Don't wait.

There are threads on this, because I remember posting about it long ago...
As DJ states (I'm sure he meant input shaft) about undue wear on the syncros. Could be a number of things. Best thing to do is send me your lightweight flywheel and I'll run it in my car for some time and report back to you if this was it
Old 04-13-2005, 05:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

When you replace the clutch there are several places Porsche recommends that you lube. In the photos below I've arrowed those parts except for the guide tube (for some reason I never took a picture of it). The recommended lube is Olista Longtime 3EP or equivalent (Porsche is now shipping out Optimoly NR-High PS I think...). Anyway, you want to put some on the end of the clutch slave cylinder plunger.

and the ends of the cross-shaft (under the needle bearings), on the interior side of the plastic grommets on the release arm, the tips of both arms on the release bearing (I only have 1 arrow because the other arm is not visible) and inside the plastic seal on the end of the cross-shaft.

Does anyone have a picture of the guide tube?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:42 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... excellent post, as usual, Jason. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Trouble getting car into neutral on deceleration....