Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

thinking about ac cobra replica

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:07 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mcuozzo- Beautiful car. One of the prettiest cobras I've seen. If you don't mind me askin', how much did you pay all in? Thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mucho gracias, Dan. And as I said those are the crappy pictures :-)

Don't really want to add it all up, but I'm sure I could have gotten a nice example of a C4s or even that 993tt racecar posted for sale!

Sad thing is I started with and orignal quote from the builder for $35K then screwed myself by adding options - knockoff wheels, hard top, heat and AC, fire suppression system, etc. You think there is a slippery slope for Porsches? Try building a car from the ground up and staying within a budget!!!

Still I wouldn't trade the experience for anything...well ok maybe for a night with Salma Hayek.

Matt
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

mcuzzo- Your thread hits it on the head for me. That is exactly why I would want one. I dont plan on tracking it or need real comfort. It would be purely a weekend ride. Sell me yours NOW!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Racer944
Racer

Mine was for sale up until a month ago... had it for 13 years, went to a new enthusiast home across the country. Sure was a lot of fun rebuilding it and driving it on a Sunday's (in a straight line of course!).

It was a reproduction body and frame (semi space frame design) custom built in England at AC (then shipped here in a sea container with all the parts I could get. Most parts were either original from a wrecked car that was found in England (without serial numbers) and the rest were NOS/repro parts from Georgia. The body was based on the street Cobra not the S/C... Had inboard discs on the independant halibrand rear end with quad shocks, and all the other various good bits... If I had the room, I would have kept it for sure, but it wasn't getting as much use as it deserved....

Comparing it to a Porsche is like apples and oranges.. Cobras fill a certain nitch in ones automotive heart... usually the part that covers the child in all of us that thrives on smoky burnouts, looks that are timeless, being stared at ALL the time, and listening to the loud rumble of a V8 through sidepipes. Porsches fill a different desire that is also very fun... If you want a Cobra that handles well though, be prepared to change things from the original design...

Cheers;
Eric
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:07 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HTML Code:
You get marriage proposals,
mcuozzo, i was enjoying your first pic of the cobra until i read the marriage part??, c'mon now, your amongst friends here
Old 11-15-2005, 02:36 AM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Cool

Give me a break faster, I mentioned the flashings and indecent proposals too! And they out number the marriage proposals by far.

The funniest post on the ffcobra.com forum went like this (not by me since I'm single):

I was driving along and pulled up to a stoplight. Next to me was a beautiful blond in a Jaguar.

She rolled down her window and said "It must be hard to stay single when you own a car like that"

My reply was "Not as hard as staying married"

Those cobra guys are funny.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:05 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Driven a friend's Superformance Cobra a fair amount, and know a bunch of owners from the various events. The cars are a hoot. Not docile, not practical, but powerful, loud, great-looking, brutal machines. Very fast in a straight line, not as good around a track as a modern car with all the goodies, but, again, a good driver will make a huge difference. Old-fashioned, though the brakes are much better than in the old days.

Cheap to fix, etc, etc

I thought about building one - an APF with a Rousch 427 and fuel cell, bigass brakes, custom roll bar and cage, harnesses, etc would have been $65k ish. A little more than 500 hp/tq, if I recall (go to http://www.roushparts.com/ - I was thinking the 427 R, though the 402IR looks good). No AC. No antilock. No airbags. No stereo. Would have been fun.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mcuozzo, pretty funny..... , probably not far from the truth with any of these beautiful sports cars ..
Old 11-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only replica I can accept is "breast augmentation"...for all the rest...go for the real thing, as far as you can...
Old 11-19-2005, 12:48 PM
a550carguy
4th Gear

I have a 996 and a 550. The 550 is the most fun car I have ever owned. One thing, with replica cars, they are tough to register. I suggest you go to spyderclub and search registration for tips.
Also, with any replica, drive it like it's a motocycle. Lights on, assume everyone on the road is out to kill you. My 550 only weighs 1237 lbs, the top of the body work is only 28" off the ground, and the tubular members only reach up to my waist. There is nothing there to slow the impact as an Expedition drives right over you.
Good luck!
Old 11-19-2005, 01:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by a550carguy
There is nothing there to slow the impact as an Expedition drives right over you.
Good luck!
\

This is the only reservation I have about getting myself a 550 replica. Looks like that car would be a blast, even with the 4cyl.
Too many morons on the road driving their battleships, watching TV, Ipod in one ear, cell phone in the other, looking at a nav screen, water bottles rolling around on the floor, and soccer ***** bouncing around in the back. I think the driving part is last thing many of these people are thinking about when driving these miniature aircraft carriers at speed.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Newbie here....Just sold my Beck 550 Spyder yesterday and am now seeking a nice 993 coupe. Regarding purchasing a 550, this is one case where purchasing a used car can often be better than purchasing a one new.

550s are hand built and even under the best conditions aren't always well put together. With a new Spyder, more often than not the owner ends up doing a lot of tightening, torquing, tweaking and tuning before the car is right. It isn't anything like purchasing a new factory built car. By purchasing a good used 550 (There are always good used ones for sale), you can bypass that aspect and get a nice car someone else has set right.

You can also save $$$ by purchasing a used one...New ones go for $25-35K...It isn't unusual to find a use one with less than 5000 miles on it for $17-20K.

They are ungodly fast and, similarly, ungodly dangerous. Yet, every time I drove mine I came back with a silly grin on my face. I enjoy driving and just got tired of having to plan my driving around the weather and hated putting the thing up for 4-5 months each year.

Oh, and they are high maintenance little cars...160-185 HP out of an engine originally designed to make 60 HP makes for taking care that everything is just right....Otherwise, you'll be picking up hot, oily pieces of engine off the road.

Check in at spyderowners.com...There are good people there that are more than willing to help...Mike Christian (SpyderMike) and Angela Lane are two of the most knowledgable. Mike built his up from scratch and Angela's has a 911 engine in it.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Midnight Rider
Racer

UPDATE: Got one! Factory Five Racing- silver with crimson stripe. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! For pure power and wow factor, I have never driven anything like it. People go bananas over this car and the overall experience of driving it is unexplainable. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Midnight Rider; 12-02-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:00 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Even though its a porker of a different magnatude, post some pics Congrats!!! Nothing like the sound of big block in your ears
Old 11-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Originally Posted by mcuozzo

Still I wouldn't trade the experience for anything...well ok maybe for a night with Salma Hayek.

Matt
I'll second that!! She's got more curves than my Carrera S!

Last edited by Reynard38; 11-27-2005 at 11:49 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: thinking about ac cobra replica