Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aaagh, I hate this cabriolet top!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:20 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Once properly adjusted, my top has work flawlessly. It's been nearly three years with no problems - the great weather here results in the top being actuated probably 200+ days a year.

The difficult aspect of the top is finding a person with the expertise to properly adjust them. They are complicated, but once set up properly, they are golden!

:cheeers:
Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
A new top can be had installed in Los Angeles for $1,000.
I keep hearing of these great prices out West, but here is Boston I have not found anything for under $1700, and it appears that $2K is more realistic.

I need a new top badly. Even before that I need a new cable for teh passenger's side transmission, as mine has shrunk (the transmission itself seem to work). Of course they don't sell cables separately. Arrrgh.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:36 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I disconnected the control arms on my top and now operate it manually. I got so tired of the transmissions, cables and adjustments. The only thing I have to be concerned with now are the top motors that connect the top to the car.
This is what I do now as well. But... I have a nasty feeling that with manual operation the top actually goes down further than it does when arms and cables are attached. Causing extra stress in the line in canvas just under the window. Mine eventually ripped there (not a big loss, top was totally shot well before that), but it concerns me greatly.

I've converted both my BMW E30s to manual top operation as well as having teh manual top on my Miata, but, boy, is 993 top a heavy sucker! Plus this stress issue is a great concern.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I keep hearing of these great prices out West, but here is Boston I have not found anything for under $1700, and it appears that $2K is more realistic.
Suggestion #1: make a few calls to independent shops and find out who they sublet the top work to. Enough calls and you'll find "the guy" who knows these tops inside and out. Then go direct to that person. The guy here works out of his garage at home. He charges us what he charges the other shops. they then charge "retail".

Suggestion #2: Drive your car out here, hang for a few days with us So Cal folks, and then drive your car home.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Suggestion #1: make a few calls to independent shops and find out who they sublet the top work to. Enough calls and you'll find "the guy" who knows these tops inside and out. Then go direct to that person. The guy here works out of his garage at home. He charges us what he charges the other shops. they then charge "retail".
That's what I've done so far. No luck. Will continue, though.
Suggestion #2: Drive your car out here, hang for a few days with us So Cal folks, and then drive your car home.
I already drove it accross the country once from SF to Boston. Can do it again :-)
Old 12-24-2005, 01:08 AM
jimbone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had no problems, then had the top recall done, and shortly after the latching electronics worked fine but then the top started retracting unevenly and eventually the motors blew and it stopped altogether. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the recall as the recall (I think) only involved replacing the latching motor. It's so much easier to just use the electronics for unlatching the top and loosen the bolts in the rear to close and open it as a manual. The only trick is your ! light comes on because the car thinks the top is improperly open, but all you have to do is turn it off on the center console. To me it's not worth the $ to fix a minor, occasionally used, problem, IMHO.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:09 AM
solsrch
Pro

You guys had me truly worried, as I've been irresponsible. Top has been down for months, haven't driven her due to salt on the roads, etc.. Some days where we didn't get up to freezing included. Today was in the 50's. Started her up, ran it long enough to ensure the top was warm, then put it up. All is well! Undoubtedly, the best Christmas gift I'll see this year.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by solsrch
Undoubtedly, the best Christmas gift I'll see this year.
If you are "the Coach", I'd venture to say that you have a couple other gifts that might be worth opening.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:58 PM
solsrch
Pro

Jeff,
Yeah, I wish. My wife would be most displeased if I stumbled across / took advantage of such a opportunity.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:44 AM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish i had read this thread yesterday i split my rear window in half this AM. 30 degree weather or so some frost in the bay area, CA... what was the concensus.. can the window be replaced or is it the whole top??? someplace i saw a thread on a zippered in rear window.,. that would be good or better yet some aftermarket rear window made of glass.,,

if it doesn't exist we should make one - id buy it.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First, that sucks.

Second, no, a rigid glass window will not work. Our windows bend during folding.

Third, you can replace the window itself, however it might take some extra care. The window is zipped in, but there is adhesive on and near the zipper, which needs to be removed (at least partially).

I've uploaded the 6 pages of the Shop Manual for your and your installer's reference. I had to break it up into 3 files to get it to upload.

Good luck.

Last edited by InTheAir; 01-11-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

This is what I do now as well. But... I have a nasty feeling that with manual operation the top actually goes down further than it does when arms and cables are attached. Causing extra stress in the line in canvas just under the window. Mine eventually ripped there (not a big loss, top was totally shot well before that), but it concerns me greatly.

I've converted both my BMW E30s to manual top operation as well as having teh manual top on my Miata, but, boy, is 993 top a heavy sucker! Plus this stress issue is a great concern.
I've had mine in "manuAl" mode for about a year and a half. My top stays down for months at a time with no issues.

The transmissions and cables and adjustments are not worth fighting with not to mention the cost... go manual.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I bought the German canvas top from that ebay guy that sells them out of CA for $450. OEM-like quality and great service (no affiliation). I had one of the best "interior" shops install it for me for C$600. If you need the roof liner, it'll cost an extra $200.

Is it the labor or the cost of the top that's expensive? They might just be marking up the top and that's what puts the cost at near $2k. You may want to ask them how much they'll charge for the install only.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note to self:
1. Don't buy a targa.
2. Don't buy a cabrio.
3. Do buy a tin top.

Harry
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry - you need to find another thread. This ones for people that want t complain about their Cab tops and answer questions but have no intention of swtiching to anything else.

RE: IntheAir's post thanks again. I just got off the phone with john at Bascom Trim in CA. he said that they do now have a glass window for the 993 Cab top - said it is about 30% smaller than the regular plastic window and he quoted me a price. Anyway if i can get a picture of what one looks like i post it here.

Quick Reply: Aaagh, I hate this cabriolet top!