Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aaagh, I hate this cabriolet top!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Stuffer
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aaagh, I hate this cabriolet top!

I've loved my '97 cab since the day I bought it, but the top is starting to become a money pit. It all started when I brought it to the dealer a few months ago for the recall.

Right after that, the up/down switch started working intermittently, and then not at all. I brought it back to the the dealer, and they said it needed a new ECU, to the tune of $1100 with labor. I swallow hard and tell them to go ahead and fix it. After I drove it home, I put the top down to test the switch and heard a "pop" -- raised the roof back up again to discover the rear window had a horizontal crack all the way across it.

I did a search on the archives here, and it looks like I may be into some serious cash to replace the back window, since it is specially glued into the top. Maybe $600 for the window and $600 to install since it requires the whole top to be re-installed? Ugh. Not all much less than an entirely new top. (My top is otherwise in mint condition.)

A couple questions:

Is it unusual for a rear cab window to suddenly crack in half when its lowered? (The top and window were in very good condition -- the car is a garage queen).

Could cold weather have caused it to become suseptable to cracking like that? ? (Temperature was around 30 when I drive it home from the delaer.)
Is there any cleaper alternatives to window replacement by the dealer, or replacement of the whole top?

Stuffer
'97 C2 Cabriolet Arena Red
Rennist Member # 040705-4001
Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 AM
John95cab
Instructor

I took my cab in February to the dealer for the cab recall. They did not let the top warm up before opening it and the tech cracked the rear window. You should never open the top when its below freezing as the window is just a flexible plastic. I was going to replace my top anyway so I wrangled some concessions from the dealer, but they were very apologetic and did offer to replace the window but onto a very worn top.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The owners manual states the top should not be lowered if temps are below 50F.

Wonder how I came to find this out?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:35 AM
fiskarflugen
Rennlist Member

Dont feel too bad. My top was not adjusted properly and pinched at the down stop pins. $2200 for a new top installed!! Happy Holidays
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Kee-rist. The convertible top is the one area where the 996 is far superior to the 993.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:06 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear that.

As others have stated...cold plastic cracks.

On the intermitent function of the button. The top Control unit suffers from cold solder joints. It's a 30 minute DIY to take it out from under the dash and re-solder the cold joints. I have done it twice on mine but it saved me $1100 or so.

Here is the link in case it happens again:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=top+control

I keep hearing everyone having problems after the top recall for one reason or another. I am keeping mine as is for now and wait for the dealers to get this routine down or mine to fail.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM
jcoll1
Advanced

Is there an expiration period on the cab top recall? Mine is working perfectly and hate invite problems!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't believe recalls have expiration dates. At least not to my limited knowledge.

I did have the recall done, even though I had not had problems either. And I've had no problems since.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:14 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A new top can be had installed in Los Angeles for $1,000.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:38 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry about your top probs. I've never heard of a window cracking.

And I hate to tell you, but you could have bought a new ECU for $300 and replaced it yourself in about 30-40 mins. BTDT.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I disconnected the control arms on my top and now operate it manually. I got so tired of the transmissions, cables and adjustments. The only thing I have to be concerned with now are the top motors that connect the top to the car.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:54 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i am still amazed that mazda managed to put a glass window in the miata before porsche was able to put a glass window in the 911.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the mistake of putting something in the recess where the top rests when down, and then fully opened the top. Sure made a funny noise , and had a hard time getting all the way down, but damn if I didn't keep pushing that button. Totally ruined the plastic window, luckily my new top was(frayed badly) on the way , or I would have been very sad. Total cost for top and labor was about $1200.

Not the same issue, but just something to watch out for.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogwan
I made the mistake of putting something in the recess where the top rests when down, and then fully opened the top. Sure made a funny noise , and had a hard time getting all the way down, but damn if I didn't keep pushing that button. Totally ruined the plastic window, luckily my new top was(frayed badly) on the way , or I would have been very sad. Total cost for top and labor was about $1200.

Not the same issue, but just something to watch out for.
I was at the Porsche dealership one day when a guy came in with his 996 Turbo Cab steamed that the top would not go down all the way. He yelled and screamed until the lead Tech left the car he was working on to come over and take a look. The owner reached in to actuate the top. As it was coming down, the Tech reached into the bootwell, pulled out a golf-sized umbrella, tossed it in the back seat without the owner ever having to stop retracting the top. Amazing how the top went all the way down and nestled right where it was suppose to.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

" i am still amazed that mazda managed to put a glass window in the miata before porsche was able to put a glass window in the 911."

my '74 Karmann Ghia cab had a glass window that opened with the top up......

Quick Reply: Aaagh, I hate this cabriolet top!