OT: Almost made it

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:01 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Almost made it

through the holidays. I met with a doctor about a problem and he said it was nothing. That was on Wednesday. On Thursday, I am just about to leave the office for the holidays and I'm truly joyful. A couple of days around the house with my boys and my wife before the big day. Watch old movies, play games, maybe watch some old video of the family, etc.

Then the phone rings and it is the doctor. They made a mistake the day before in looking at my 'films.' Have what they are calling a sarcoma attached to my left kidney. Might lose the kidney. And I'm already on a liver transplant list (almost 5 years).

Folks, you gotta understand, I live a good, clean, healthy life. But sometimes things catch up with you anyway. My liver condition is somewhat stabilized due to some drugs that have no side effects other than making me feel almost normal. I feel good. I'm 55 years old, don't have a gray hair, good shape, 6'4", 200lbs. I have the same liver condition that Walter Payton had. The disease manifests itself into liver cancer. No known cause for the disease. NUTS!

Anyway, the message was I have to have major surgery to go in and take the 'thing' out and look around. The liver condition can also cause serious problems and I'm hoping they are not related.

I know this is a real bummer around Christmas and I'm sorry to all. It is just that frankly, it is easier for me talk with my Rennlist friends in this forum than it is for me to talk face to face. You are my good friends. I haven't really told anyone other than my beautiful wife.

In spite of all this crap, I am going to have a great Christmas. I really am. I handle these kinds of things in life pretty good, all considered. I hope that each of you and your families have a blessed Holiday and a Very Merry, Merry Christmas.

Just had to get this down in writing. Thanks for listening.
chuck
Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck,

Wow! Very bad news.

Thank you for sharing. I wish you the best for a cozy holiday season with loved ones and for a happy, healthy new year.

My best to you and dearly hope the doctor is wrong.... they have been before. If there is anything we/I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

You will be in my prayers... take care and be strong.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:17 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck...sorry to hear your news, at least it has been found. Try to have a Merry Christmas and you will be in my prayers. Peace be with you.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:20 AM
tbil
Racer

Thanks for sharing Chuck. Life sure has it's challenges, do keep the faith. The progression of medical science is pretty amazing these days, there is lots that can be done.

You are in our prayers.

Tom
Old 12-24-2005, 02:23 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Chuck,
Stay positive. Sounds like you have a lot to live for. Make sure that you are on top of this one and you will be fine. I have a family member that had a similar experience and is doing well. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:26 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much gentlemen. The way I have this figured, there is only one accepbtable outcome from all this. I feel good and healthy after whatever surgery they feel like they gotta do, is done. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!
Merry Christmas Kelly & RC. I am going to kick back and enjoy these next two days (I'd start drinking heavily but the liver don't allow that) with peace of mind. Honestly.
I'm adopted and I always wondered why my birth parents ditched me. They must have known that our family dna turns to Jello precisely at 55. Please excuse my kind of weird sense of humor. This is another way I deal with this kind of stuff
chuck
Old 12-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Benton
Drifting

Chuck,
So sorry to hear the bad news; keep faith and everything will be OK. Go hit up some mountain roads in the 993 and forget everything.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sound like you have a great attitude towards this, which is half the battle I'm sure. Have a happy holiday. We will keep you in our prayers.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:39 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you all so very much. I really didn't want to put this out there for so many reasons, but I had to 'talk' about it. ya know?
I really do have a soft spot in my heart (that's probably what they'll tell me next. ) for this community. Thanks. Now go and enjoy your holidays after I just bummed everybody out!
My sincerest appreciation for your understanding and for the kind and thoughtful replies.
goodnight
chuck
Old 12-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for having such a good attitude about this. You had no choice...as you said, you live a good clean life and don't abuse your body.

It gives me hope that you can handle this...no worries about bumming me out: you give me hope.

God bless and take care of your family.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:09 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Chuck, sorry for your news. Keep the positive attitude and stay on top of it with your doctors. Attitude makes a big difference in how all this works out. You'll be in my prayers also. And don't worry about bumming us out. A real community takes care of it's own and shares in the ups and downs. Have a great holiday with your family. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow Chuck, so very sad to hear of this. I honestly dont know if I would have such a positive outlook. You will be in my prayers!
Old 12-24-2005, 03:35 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I just wish you the best from the bottom of my heart for a full recovery and strength. May you have great holidays and the new year to bring only the best of health to you and your family.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:50 AM
solsrch
Pro

Definitely taking the right approach! I'll add my prayers to the list, both for your future health, and that I would be good enough to demonstrate your approach if given the same situation.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Chuck,
An attitude such as yours will get you through anything.
I went to "The Mall" last night, and was stunned by the cranky behaviour of almost everyone, from parking space rage, to domestic spats playing out in the line for Santa Claus, it was a miserable experience. Reading your message snaps back into focus the meaning of the season and the importance of family. It's too easy for us to get caught up in taking it all for granted.

Thank you for that, and good luck.

Quick Reply: OT: Almost made it