Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight DIY Assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:51 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight DIY Assist

As usual, as the absolute slowest DIYer here, I've been marginally successful/unsuccessful in my latest attempt. I just installed factory litronics. Good news, my left side lights perfectly. Bad news, the right side blinks, like it is trying to light, but doesn't "catch", as a bonus, the high beam doesn't work either. Does this make sense to anyone, can you point me in the right direction? I can "easter egg" my way through this tomorrow, but was running out of daylight today and decided to ask for help here.
TIA
Old 03-12-2006, 02:56 AM
shafo
Instructor

Joe, have you double-checked the connector's alignment in the rear? These are a pain (ask me how I know) and are supposed to self-center into place. I think I remember a post about this leading to disfunctional brights.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:33 AM
solsrch
Pro

I've reseated the connector a few times, it seems to be fine. Perhaps I should pull the headlight unit apart and see if there is a common ground for the high and low beams. Maybe that is the issue. It seems like I can hear a clicking or firing like the ballast is trying to spark the light, and I can see a flash, but it just doesn't light.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not familiar with the factory litronics, but is there a way to swap the ballasts from L to R to confirm both are working properly?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:06 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Joe,
A while ago I had problems with my passenger side Litronics - the high beam worked but the xenon low beam was out. So I purchased new bulbs. Same thing. Every time I pulled the housing to check something, it felt as if the connector did not seat as snug as the driver's side. If you inspect the connector that is captured in the black frame within the fender, you'll notice that you can rotate it inwards to disengage it. It takes some persuasion, but the connector will snap and then rotate free. Since my lights worked fine before, and then started acting up after cleaning within the headlight openings, I decided that the connector was at fault.

To remedy, I undid the fender connector as described, but then forced the lower portion of it to remain forward of the black plastic while rotating it back into place. So the connector is positioned where it should be, but the lower portion is forced slightly forward. This seemed to do the trick and allowed for a solid-feeling connection once the light was snugged back into the fender. No problems since.

Give this a shot. I love the design for ease of cleaning, etc., but I think the body-side connector may have a bit too much slop at times.

Andreas

P.S. Judging by your avatar, your headlights seem to be in perfect working order
Old 03-12-2006, 09:02 PM
solsrch
Pro

Found out the problem, one litronic light was wired for standard HID (1,2,3,6,9 pins) the other one wasn't (1,2,3,4 and 9 pins). Not sure why, but I'm just going to switch the pins on the headlight so both match the standard (1,2,3,6 & 9) pattern. Should be fine here soon. Thanks again for various assist - once I checked everything else I started looking for what I missed.

Quick Reply: Headlight DIY Assist