Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 489 Posts

WB cab.... Do tell more.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefan614
@clubrcr i just found this thread and wanted to jump in to let you know I’m pretty confident I’ve ended purchasing your widebody cab in late august of 2023. Attached are a few pictures. Mileage and Carfax all seem to add up. Would love to know more about the car if you wouldn’t mind. Thanks
Yes, that's one of the Beverly Hills five widebody cabs they produced with Porsche AG agreement. Widebody parts were sent to the dealership from Porsche as a 'package' and BHP had the bodywork done in Los Angeles. They produced this White car last seen in Florida, my Arena Red car that I bought in Seattle, a Black car that is in the mid-west now, a Silver car last seen in Los Angeles and a Midnight Blue which was the only car with a tiptronic, supposedly up in Puget Sound area somewhere.
All 5 cars are 1998 Model Year .. done in the last days of 993 production as a special favor to BHP for being one of Porsche's most high volume dealers in California. My car was commissioned as an Executive Lease vehicle, custom ordered by Paramount Pictures for one of their big poobahs .. who, I can say .. didn't take very good care of it.
Here's what I ended up doing with mine: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sterholic.html

Last edited by JPP; 03-29-2024 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porschefan614 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 04:02 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

So they didn't come from the factory that way? BHP converted them to wide body here in the states?

The original posts in this thread from 2006 imply they were made that way and that minimum 10 need to be ordered but BHP ordered 14 total.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:40 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Yes, that's one of the Beverly Hills five widebody cabs they produced with Porsche AG agreement. Widebody parts were sent to the dealership from Porsche as a 'package' and BHP had the bodywork done in Los Angeles. They produced this White car last seen in Florida, my Arena Red car that I bought in Seattle, a Black car that is in the mid-west now, a Silver car last seen in Los Angeles and a Midnight Blue which was the only car with a tiptronic, supposedly up in Puget Sound area somewhere.
All 5 cars are 1998 Model Year .. done in the last days of 993 production as a special favor to BHP for being one of Porsche's most high volume dealers in California. My car was commissioned as an Executive Lease vehicle, custom ordered by Paramount Pictures for one of their big poobahs .. who, I can say .. didn't take very good care of it.
Here's what I ended up doing with mine: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sterholic.html
Good to see you pop in JP - hope all is well.

I was just talking about your car to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. He asked if the 993 ever came in a WB cab and it was fun to explain the story of your car - 'destined to be different'. It's been a while since I've seen it but I'm sure that it's just as amazing as ever.
Porschefan614 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 08:43 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
So they didn't come from the factory that way? BHP converted them to wide body here in the states?

The original posts in this thread from 2006 imply they were made that way and that minimum 10 need to be ordered but BHP ordered 14 total.
You are confusing two completely different sets of cars created 3 years apart. It's amazing how information like this gets so confused over time. Yes, the 5 1998 Beverly Hills Carrera S Cabriolets were all ordered through Porsche but the body modifications were done in Los Angeles and they were sold as new cars with addendums attached to their window stickers for that bodywork. Some additional $35k. None of these cars has a Turbo drive train, they are normally aspirated cars.

The 14 cars you refer to were made at Zuffenhausen in 1995 using 993 narrow body cabriolets that were fitted at the factory with 964 3.3 liter single turbo engines. I've seen pictures of only one of those cars in widebody which I understand was modified AFTER the factory delivered it at some other custom shop. Here are the two cars out of the alleged 14 produced that I have pictures of.
Narrow body:

And the customized after delivery car with widebody modifications. You have to remember .. Porsche didn't have the Turbo body until 1996, and this is a 1995 MY cab:

The following 3 users liked this post by JPP:
Gbos1 (03-29-2024), Overdraft (03-30-2024), Porschefan614 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 08:55 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Good to see you pop in JP - hope all is well.

I was just talking about your car to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. He asked if the 993 ever came in a WB cab and it was fun to explain the story of your car - 'destined to be different'. It's been a while since I've seen it but I'm sure that it's just as amazing as ever.
My Dude! Good to see you're still here as well. I try and keep a lower profile these days. Yeah, SpeedArena is still looking great after 10k miles and almost 12 years of enjoyment. I just pulled her out of winter slumber so I can get my bi-ennial smog cert for registration renewal in a month.

Last edited by JPP; 03-29-2024 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by JPP:
Gbos1 (03-29-2024), Porschefan614 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 07:41 AM
Porschefan614
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Fantastic information. By chance does anyone have a copy of the addendum and window sticker that came with one of these cars? I would really love to see all that they added to them to be able to charge an additional $35k back in 1998.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:04 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschefan614
Wow! Fantastic information. By chance does anyone have a copy of the addendum and window sticker that came with one of these cars? I would really love to see all that they added to them to be able to charge an additional $35k back in 1998.
I have my window sticker and addendum, and so does the owner of the black car. I don't share my documentation because it's part of the provenance and value of my specific car, but the only changes in the additional charges would be because each car was custom ordered by a different customer, so they all had little bits that were different. For example, your white car is the only one as far as I know that ordered a full Turbo tail and Turbo S front lower spoiler. I believe all the other cars came with the same package as mine with Carrera S Split rear grille and badging, standard Turbo bumpers, Turbo rear quarters, Turbo longitudinal sill covers and front fender lower sill extensions plus the inner structural bits to support the wider bodywork. All cars also needed new rear wheels with widebody offsets. My car was ordered with hollow spoke wheels and Turbo S front brake duct/driving light modules, not sure about the others. The labor charges and dealer markup would all be the same theoretically. 1998 dollar is worth about $1.90 today, if you use an 'average' addendum upcharge of $35k .. the equivalent dollar value today is around $67k for the additional parts and labor.
My window sticker's total before the addendum is added is $83,903 .. it was ordered with these additional upcharges: Arena Red paint, motor sound, hollow spoke wheels, hi-fi sound, Cassette radio, hardback sport seats, wind deflector, 'aluminum look' Carrera S gauge package and several aluminum and carbon fiber 'Xxx' exclusive options i.e. shifter, e-brake, console escutcheons etc. Today, that sticker would be $159,416 plus the addendum of $67k .. which comes to $226,416. And that ain't nothin' .. but honestly, if you look at today's new 992 S Cab's with equivalent options added .. it's all in the same ballpark.
Porschefan614 (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 02:47 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vhos
That 993 WB speedster is sick, I am jealous!!!
Thank you, I appreciate the love. But .. don't be jealous, get even with me! Mine is #2. There are now six of these, 5 widebody and one narrow body C4 built to RS specs including the full 3.8 engine package, monoball suspension etc. .. all built by the master coachbuilder Marc Clowes in the midlands of England. Give him a bell at +44 778 011 9550 or you can contact him and his team on Instagram @mlr_porsche .. he's always happy to discuss the 993 Speedster builds they do and despite the fact that you literally can't find anymore 964 Speedster parts to build one .. Marc always seems to have a line on some somewhere.

Last edited by JPP; 04-01-2024 at 11:36 AM. Reason: To correct contact info

Quick Reply: Cabriolet in wide body?