Sponsored by: DashLynx

43,000 miles, Check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 PM
chaguar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 43,000 miles, Check engine light on

: Hi On the 1996 Porsche 993 c2 I have owned for 3 months , Now has 43,000 miles .Looking over the service recolds that came with the car I see that the 30,000 mile service was carried out at 34,000 miles. Oil and fillter, brake fluid, spark plugs,Pollen fillter,AFT and fillter?whatever that is. No fuel fillter though,,,,,,,,,Since then the car has recived routin fluid changes , Only for maintance, Yesterday I put 300 miles on said cabriolet and just befor I reached my home the check engine light came on and stayed on , Is there something simple I could check befor I take it to the shop, Me not being any where near a mechanices healper was thinking about changing the fuel fillter ,Pollen fillter,Checking the oil level,..I changed the air fillter last month and then drilled holes in air box (oooooooooooh).SO check engine light on ,and thats befor I put the x pipes on
Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to need to find out the code that triggered the CEL. You can do that by buying an OBDII reader, borrowing one, going to a dealer to have them pull the code using their reader, or go to an autoparts store (they typically will read the code for you for free).

Once we know the code, we can better diagnose the problem.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:17 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Jeff said, most autoparts stores will have a reader and print out the reading for you. Autozone, Advanced auto, checkers, pep boys, whatever you have will do.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

I got an OBDII reader from Advance Auto and found that for it to read my Porsche the engine had to be running. Not so on the Tundra or BMW, so just be aware.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:08 AM
chaguar
Instructor

Thanks guys, Are you saying that I ask the guy in the store ' to find the code by reading it that triggerd the cel"
Old 06-06-2006, 05:58 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaguar
Thanks guys, Are you saying that I ask the guy in the store ' to find the code by reading it that triggerd the cel"
They will hook an OBD 2 reader to your car and read the CEL error code. Get that code and report back what it is. There are many people on this board that can help you once we know the code.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill (NC)
I got an OBDII reader from Advance Auto and found that for it to read my Porsche the engine had to be running. Not so on the Tundra or BMW, so just be aware.
Bill,

Try turning the key to the 2 position, then turn off the immobilizer with the remote. (light off in clock) The reader works then, I bet.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Bob - 95 993/C2
Instructor

I'm going to take a WAG and say O2 sensor. Be sure to report back, please!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob - 95 993/C2
I'm going to take a WAG and say O2 sensor.
Only if he's lucky!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

I have 44K on mine and get an occasional CEL for a misfire on Cyl 4. Mechanic says that it's likely a wire and he'll change it at the 60K hceckup. In the meantime, I've purchased a scanner and put it in the trunk so I can read/clear on the spot. The engine needs to be running to read, but I haven't tried Kelly's "2 o'clock position" yet as it's not a big deal to switch the engine on for a minute to do the test and I HATE dealing with the immobilizer. (!)

Chaguar, pls report what the scanner results are for yours.

regards
Jim
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
Bill,

Try turning the key to the 2 position, then turn off the immobilizer with the remote. (light off in clock) The reader works then, I bet.
This is correct. In fact, my Innova scanner instructions say not to start the car. My scanner tries to read as soon as it's plugged into the port. Just turn to position 2, turn off the immobilizer and press the scan/rescan button on the reader.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:03 PM
chaguar
Instructor

Hi guys ,was going to auto parts store today TOget the car hooked up , Befor I went I called Ebiell performance and spoke to the owner frank .He said bring it down and he would hook it up for free, Well the code was P1117 UNDER THE DTC VERS 3 COLOUM and P1105 under the vers 4 coloum.........Then it was P119 uinder the vers3 coloum and P1107 under the vers 4 coloum If that makes sence, THEN ON THE PRINT OUT HE GAVE ME WITH ALL THE DRIFFRENT CODES ON IT SAID,,,Heating of HO2S behind TWC And the other one said Heating of HO2S ahead of TWC.So he checked the fuse ,O.K. cleared the system, And then unpluged the 4 things (sensors I guess) either side of the motor And messed with the conection on all 4 of them, Said he could not spray anything on the conections because of some kind of tube sensor in side I think.I belive he unpluged and re pluged the 4 things a few times to see if that would clean them, He then said Go drive it and if it comes back on then he thinks its a wireing problem that he would trace for me , All this for free, Nice trusty guys down there,On the way home it was fine ,But I think I rember him saying something about when the engine starts cold ???? Im driveing to Seabring race track to WATCH drivers ed, .WATCH as I have no roll bar And watch for the light, I guess Im going to look up a few of the guys I know when I was with the Ferrari club, As I went to Moroso track In Miami In my cabriolet with no roll bar,You could go on the track in another car besides Ferrari, As I do not think Im putting a roll bar in such a clean car, Hope this helps all you Hi tec motor heads out there , Thankyou for your responce,Mick
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM
hawk993
Racer

i don't have to have the engine running to check my codes, i just need to turn the key on

Quick Reply: 43,000 miles, Check engine light on