Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Let's Chat about Wax &/or Sealant Again, Shall we?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:21 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Let's Chat about Wax &/or Sealant Again, Shall we?

Car has fresh paint. unmolested by any product other than what the shop put on while the paint continues to cure. So, I'm back to deciding what to do. For some reason the body shop recommends using a silicone based wax/sealant. I don't know why, or what products that would be. Looking on Autotopia silicone based may not seem like a good idea.

What to do? High quality carnuba, Rejex, Zaino, others? Decision time in a couple of weeks, your current thoughts welcome.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:29 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd PM Anthony. I'm not sure what to use on new paint.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check out this 7 month old Zaino shine, some folks think it's too much trouble . Here's a link to a recent post .

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/280657-bath-day.html
Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll pipe back in here to echo JAR993's comments. You really do not want to choose something that will "seal" your paint, thus the suggestion of Zaino is probably premature (I use it too) at this point.

Once the paint is properly cured, Zaino is nice. But, you should also understand that your shine is more a matter of preparation, than product.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll add my vote for Zaino, works well and lasts a long time.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also really like Zaino and the results. However, I've heard great things about Rejex also and understand it is much easier. Has anyone moved from Zaino to Rejex and found the results similar??

Bill
Old 06-19-2006, 10:36 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the comments. What's the deal with silicone based vs. other than silicone based?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Thanks for the comments. What's the deal with silicone based vs. other than silicone based?
"Other than silicone based":
Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, I would take up the advice of others on this board and PM Anothony Orozco (I think I have his spellin right. If not, go cruise the concourse and car care board on RL. He is a frequent contributor there).
Old 06-19-2006, 02:04 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Really, I would take up the advice of others on this board and PM Anothony Orozco (I think I have his spellin right. If not, go cruise the concourse and car care board on RL. He is a frequent contributor there).
I'll do that, in all these years I've never been to that part of RL.

Uh, Terry I think you're confused or maybe forgot that your browser is currently pointed to Rennlist, not the Tiki Lounge.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I personally would not use anything but carnuba wax on new Porsche paint. Heck, that's all I will use on OLD Porsche paint.

I really like the P21s product. Really deep shine, easy to apply, and beads water beautifully. The only other wax I've used on the P-car is the $150 a tin Zymol Glasurit formulation. I find the P21s to be easier to use and I couldn't tell them apart from the results.

I recommend mild soap, lots of water, sheepskin mitt, microfiber everything and a very light touch.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:05 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use carnuba wax and s100 cleaner. These products are thesame as the P21s in a much cheaper price. Where to find it? Harley Davidson motorcycle dealership (my secret, don't tell anyone) These products are great, very easy to apply and they last.
Happy waxing!!!
Andrew
Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zaino should be the thing you do to your car when the paint is perfect and you can do no more... then prepare to be amazed. Think of it as a magnifying glass... if your paint is in great shape, Zaino will bring out the brilliances, if there are imperfections, you can see them even better with Zaino. As others have said, dont do anything to the paint IMHO for the 1st 30 days. Then, depending on whether you have picked up any scratches or imperfections ( I assume no), I would clay bar the car really well and seal it up with a kajillion coats of Zaino... once you have done that, all you will need to do is wash and spray detailing stuff on it for months before needing to apply anything else
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred, Have you condsidered the 3M protective film to protect the new paint job? I am going to have to have the front resprayed at some point due to rock chips and have been thinking about doing the 3M treatment.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tim993
Fred, Have you condsidered the 3M protective film to protect the new paint job? I am going to have to have the front resprayed at some point due to rock chips and have been thinking about doing the 3M treatment.
I have/am considering it. Very expensive.

Quick Reply: Let's Chat about Wax &/or Sealant Again, Shall we?