Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with Fan Belt warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Fan Belt warning light

For the last two days, my fan belt warning light has come on inside the clock housing. I replaced the fan belts last summer. After the light came on, I pulled over and checked the belts. All seemed okay, and the tension was sufficient to keep the belts rotating. Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks.
Michael
Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a small pulley with a wheel that rides on the fan belt. Make sure this is riding the fan belt correctly. It could be you need to replace it.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said.... it should be sprung against the belt, too. Make sure it is not merely resting on the belt. Of course, do this with the engine OFF!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Okay. I'll check it out before I leave work for home tonight. Thanks for the responses.

Michael
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What they said. It is the belt sensor, which is there to tell you when the belts take leave of the car. They do fail, so check it out. It has no tensioning purpose, so won't hurt anything to run without it until you get a new one if needed.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:54 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Just replaced my belt sensor and my wrench told me its a common repair he does. Bet thats it..
Old 06-23-2006, 08:18 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's super easy to change (well, if you can get a hex socket in there). I "fixed" mine previously, as it was indicating intermittent belt failure, by spraying some contact cleaner in the micro-switch inside the unit, but it failed again. I just got a new one (arrived yesterday) from Sunset (http://www.sunsetimports.com), who had by far the best price. I'm gonna put it in this weekend and say goodbye to periodic heart attacks while driving.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:34 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't see the point in keeping the fanbelt sensor. If the fan belt breaks and you don't notice it on your own, you shouldn't be driving a 911 Loud noise of belt whipping against engine compartment, accompanied by sudden rise in engine temperature... gee, what could that be!

That said, they're easy to replace.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't have one, and haven't for several years. I got tired after two failed and sounded like an ex-wife screaching while I was driving the car at the track. Who needs THAT! I replace my belts regularly, and when I have seen them go on other cars they often leave in pairs or so, I guess they like company? You will then get lots of input about them being gone if you are familiar with yoiur dash and look at it regularly. Mine failed so regularly i began to wonder if they would really work if the belt broke anyway. BTW, no belt failures in many years with frequent replacement.

But that is a decision each should make.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Bull:

I like your approach. Given the heat back there, I will just put the belts on a two year replacement cycle. I have had the alternator beltbreak last summer, coming back from Las Vegas. I was about 15 miles outside of Boron, California. Boron has a nice, tidy little motel, and a not-half-bad Mexican restaurant. (ask me how I know). They also have a pretty decent mechanic who actually had a replacement belt.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses.

Michael
Old 06-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Michael, I also have spare belts on board, or in the garage at the track. But, I would still stop for the good Mexican food!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
It's super easy to change (well, if you can get a hex socket in there). I "fixed" mine previously, as it was indicating intermittent belt failure, by spraying some contact cleaner in the micro-switch inside the unit, but it failed again. I just got a new one (arrived yesterday) from Sunset (http://www.sunsetimports.com), who had by far the best price. I'm gonna put it in this weekend and say goodbye to periodic heart attacks while driving.
Anyone have DIY for this?

TIA
Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Norcal 993
3rd Gear

I had the same problem. Easy to fix. Loosen up the sensor, push it toward the belt until you hear a faint click of the internal switch and tighten it down. Voila.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Norcal 993
3rd Gear

Question Best Way to Tap into 12V? Want to hardwire Radar Detector

Usually, I would whip out my shop manual and figure out how to get into the dash and figure out a good switched wire to tap into for my radar detector installation, but alas, there doesn't seem to be such a manual. Any of you folks opened up the dash? I could use some instruction.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Anyone have DIY for this?

TIA
See http://p-car.com/diy/roller for how to get the part on and off. Just ignore all the stuff about lubing the wheel.

Quick Reply: Help with Fan Belt warning light