Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do I really need a whole new headlight assembly? Halp!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Do I really need a whole new headlight assembly? Halp!

The horizontal control on the light is stripped it seems. See photo (coming). Its too high and has to be lowered one way or another. Btw- the handbook I have is patently wrong; the two allen screws are mislabeled and their turning directions are reversed.

I have the light semi- apart; I can't get whole assemby apart as the 2 large press clips on the sides appear to be fixed (the top and bottom ones were fine).

If I could repair the pinion gear or even just rotate the screw gear or even just move the assemby by hand (once set I could just leave it) I could avoid replacement of what is otherwise a perfectly good light.

Anyone attempted this? Guidance is appreciated.

TIA
Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

US headlights are a little different to R0W units, but looking at the US parts, not that different.

RoW units definitely come apart fully, I have a unit dismantled for experimental reasons, and the pinion adjusters etc will come right out after careful disassembly - fair bit of work, tho', and be sure to lay it out so you can get it back together.

Are you sure you are not a little confused by the unit ? It is not as clearcut as the manual states to adjust. With the unit apart you can see how it really works ...

The pivot for the light assembly is on the opposite side to the adjusters, up the top of the housing. So the upper adjuster moves the assembly along the axis of the pivot and the lower adjuster - therefore the beam will move across as well as up / down.

The lower adjuster moves the light in the axis of the pivot with the upper adjuster, resulting in pure up / down movement of the beam.

Here's a pic ...

cheers, Maurice
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Hey thanks for the response.The main thing right now is getting the clam open. The 2 side press clips look they are fastened shut- they have little round thingy whereas the others do not. Why is that? are there set screws behind or something?

Heres how they differ (sorry about the poor PQ):
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2006, 04:50 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ritter,

You have to cut or break those tabs in order to remove the lens from the headlight assembly. I didn't know ROW headlights weren't this way but all US headlights have two clips that way. Check out the diy's or search and you'll see many threads where people either upgrade to HID's or change out their pitted lenses (I did both). In all those cases you need to cut those clips.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thanks- I feel a little less stoopid and baffled. My Dremel did the job in 20 sec.

I'll let you know how I get on from here.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:20 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a similar experience, stripped adjuster. I bought a used headlight on ebay, which was in much worse condition cosmetically, and just swapped the adjuster. The ebay headlight was so bad I tossed it after I removed the good adjuster--I should have kept it for other little spare parts.

There may be someone on here who has a spare/broken headlight with a good adjuster that will fit your headlight. As you probably know, these lights come in "left" or "right".

I haven't seen clips like the ones in your second picture. Your headlight is broken, so this is an opportunity for you to see how it is put together...
Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I got it apart. Interesting mechanism.
But I can't get it to go as low as I need it to- theres too much resistance for some reason I can't ascertain. The gears just start to slip. May have to spend more time on it. Ran out, so I put it back in.

Still wondering if I should order a new light for $367 in the meantime and keep this a spare for parts.

Quick Reply: Do I really need a whole new headlight assembly? Halp!