10.24%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Asking users to become members

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted to let them chose by themselves. I think the self membership is more valuable. But on the other side, I was amazed to read the quotes in thepost of JasonAndreas! I'm on Rennlist since a while now, but I missed that post. I knew that Renlist was a "big" thing, but not at that point!!
May be that info should be presented to the users connecting to the forum to "motivate" them to register as member.
just my 0.2

Thanks John and Jen!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:47 AM
997Heaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks to me like NON members comments are mostly ignored .. questions ARE answered however .. Me, I have lurked for about a year and just now registered to see what the responses to my comments would be ... about what I expected thus far .. kind of a "MEMBER FEST" .. if u know what I mean ...
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 AM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be a personal option, freedom of choice, free will...just like PCA...I joined PCA, loved it at first, then ran into politics after a couple of years and was slammed by my local PCA members who basically run it, the local in crowd of my local PCA, now the only reason I am still in the PCA is for the mags and the option to go to DE...otherwise, my local PCA region sucks...purely politics, favortism, etc...forcing stuff on people, free will and not sucking up to the board not allowed, hate to see that happen anywhere, including here...let people join or not join, express their opinions without being censored!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have definatley received my $34 out of a 2 year membership and gained a wealth of knowledge. The membership should be optional however, if your going to try to sell a car and not a member, you should pay $18 to advertise it and it comes with a 1 year membership to Rennlist.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with hawk993. Users should not be forced or harassed to join. There are benefits to being a member and access to areas to which Users cannot go. So let the user decide if the benefits are worth it to them. Also, let's keep the politics out of it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by robof4
looks to me like NON members comments are mostly ignored .. questions ARE answered however .. Me, I have lurked for about a year and just now registered to see what the responses to my comments would be ... about what I expected thus far .. kind of a "MEMBER FEST" .. if u know what I mean ...
I have to respectfully disagree with your post. No one makes a determination of whether to respond or not based on a user's membership status. Hell, there are plenty of member posts that don't receive a response. You also need to keep in mind that not every post requires a response, which is no way a reflection of the post's worth.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Thanks John and Jen. I don't DIY (except light bulbs), but I am educated when I take my car into the shop for scheduled or unscheduled maintenance. I delude myself that I have only bought the mods I need, not all the ones I want. Met some nice people, too.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Gerry Kluck
Intermediate

I'll second the comments made by many. As a new member myself, I joined for simple reasons; I benefited from the advice, and I wanted to support a business and a "community" that I frequent. I too think everyone should join, but as Jim said early on, "we should be diplomatic in the way we approach these users". In the end, we all lose if this board becomes un-welcoming...and sadly, John D's comments posted by Jason indicates that “Member Cancellations” are up. Not a good sign for any of us; lurkers, members and business owners alike.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:00 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I find the posts telling people to join to be in extremely poor taste. I was a member when I owned a 993 and I still read the forum occasionally and post when I have something of value to add. I'm currently giving more knowledge than I'm taking and it would be a shame to ostracize people in a similar situation.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:17 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

I joined for the sticker ...
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2006, 12:48 PM
no1fltim
Track Day

I agree that membership should be encouraged but not coerced. That said this thread prompted me to become a member this morning. Rennlist is a great site with great people and it deserves support.

Tim
Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Not everything is as it seems.
I joined in late 2003 and shortly thereafter became a member. Last year I was swamped with all sorts of other things, and rarely was on the site, maybe 2 or 3 times all year. During that time my membership expired and I forgot to get the renewal back in. So I guess I'm an ex-member? :-)

How do I go about re-instantiating my membership?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:31 PM
azcarguy
Rennlist Member

I just came across this post and as a new member I would like to say the following.

The constant "join" "be a member", or "the price of membership is cheap" is as annoying to me as a used car salesman. If I choose to do some diligence on a new forum (which rennlist was to me) I would like to poke around without being harassed and seeing the constant join our board jibber jabber.

Now on the other hand if I find the information useful and relevant and not a lot of teenage BS then I am more than happy to contribute to the community in any way that I can. But to reiterate, there is, or at least should be a diligence period in which people should be left to make their own determination as to whether or not they wish to join without any salesmanship or pressure.

I have not ever seen a "sales" post by the folks that run this site and their service and response has been excellent. It was through this site that I was able to gather the information I needed to help me make the decision to purchase my car and this site has helped me make relevant mod choices based on the experiences of others with similar equipment. So in short some things just sell themselves. My .02
Old 08-28-2006, 05:36 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i think all new users should get one month free...after that, if you like the site and want to use it: pony up the $17/year (if you drive a pcar you can surely afford the price of admission to RL).
Old 08-28-2006, 06:18 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mborkow
i think all new users should get one month free...after that, if you like the site and want to use it: pony up the $17/year (if you drive a pcar you can surely afford the price of admission to RL).
A limited time (1-3 months) free membership sounds fair enough to me. It only took me a few days to see the value and pay up, but I realize other may take longer. How much anyone makes from this site is completely irrelevant. In fact they could probably make far more by having lots of pop-up ads everywhere! For the peolpe who don't ever want to pay, you have to ask yourself what is worth to have a pop-up-ad free & virus free site that provides as much useful information as this one does. I personnally think it is well worth the money.

Quick Reply: Asking users to become members