Sponsored by: DashLynx

Value of a 95 Ruf turbo with 15K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:08 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Monkey Boy,

Is your avatar from Faster Pussycat Kill Kill ?

B
Old 09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, Green Bay as for Green Beret no that is Army i am Air Force.

True about the buyer pool for such cars compared to base Porsche models. Comparing three years ago to now I think people know now when there is a RUF for sale not to pass it up as long as it is in good working order and not outrageously priced. I know when I first came across the car I wasn't fully sure what a RUF was until I did my research and watched a video or two about something called the "Yellowbird" at the Nuerburgring.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
True about the buyer pool for such cars compared to base Porsche models. Comparing three years ago to now I think people know now when there is a RUF for sale not to pass it up as long as it is in good working order and not outrageously priced. I know when I first came across the car I wasn't fully sure what a RUF was until I did my research and watched a video or two about something called the "Yellowbird" at the Nuerburgring.
Harry,

That is very unfortunate. I went the opposite route. I read like crazy (mostly on Falt6 site) about Rufs, before I played with Google. That's why when I saw Chuck's ad, I jumped, with both feet.

CP
Old 09-01-2006, 07:06 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I spoke with a guy who knew a little more about the car. Each person I speak with seems to know a few more pieces of info but also seems to have some big misconceptions as well. The car was brought to the US and converted to Ruf when new in 1995. It was ordered from Porsche with sunroof delete and rear seat delete options. He thought the conversion was done in Florida and he also said that it was featured in one of the popular magazines in the mid 90's. He said the conversion cost about $45K at the time and he verified that the suspension was done by Ruf as well.

But he also said that it started life as a turbo, not a C2 (but it's clearly narrowbody). Also strange is that the 10th digit of the VIN is S which I thought indicates a 1997 model year. I didn't realize this until after I spoke with him. Regardless, he verified that the 15K miles on the odometer are accurate.

Despite the fact that it's very rare and appears to be a total steal, I'm passing on it as I just can't afford to tie up my money right now.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
CP
Race Director

Care to share how much they were asking?

CP
Old 09-01-2006, 07:15 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by CP
Care to share how much they were asking?

CP
$53K... and I was offered $7K by one among us to pass and let him buy it. If I do, I'll buy 10 rennlist memberships as mine recently expired.

[edit - actually I just saw that they put a price on their site - they're asking $52K]
Old 09-01-2006, 07:23 PM
CP
Race Director

$53k is a steal IMHO. Based on your post, there is a chance that this is an Euro imported car. If work was done in Florida, then it could be legitimate as Lou Foubare owned the Ruf Performance Haus in Florida, an early RUF shop in the States.

Care to share a link to the car after you help our lucky RLister buy it?

CP
Old 09-01-2006, 07:42 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I think that was the place - it definitely had the word "Performance" in the name and I was told it was the first RUF shop in the states. I'm passing on it even though it's a steal - in the midst of a divorce that has already cost me way more than this car new in legal fees and I just can't do it. I just got an email from the Rennlister who was interested and he's passing as his client wants black (he's an auto broker - I didn't realize it). I'm going to call all of my Porsche friends tonight as I'd hate to let such a rare low mileage car slip, but if anyone's interested it may very well be available.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:15 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Link or dealership name avialalbe?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:04 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Well since on the subject of RUFs did anyone ever come across this when it was for sale?!

Talk about an insane deal...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=175174
Old 09-04-2006, 11:48 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Well since on the subject of RUFs did anyone ever come across this when it was for sale?!

Talk about an insane deal...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=175174
Never saw it but it sold in 2004. Regardless, $59k is an astonishing price for a piece of history like that and especially one that brings that level of performance.

MC
Old 09-04-2006, 02:51 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Rich, you got PM
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Stan_Gosfriend
Track Day

Monkeyboy - check your PM, I offered you a significant finder's fee and was surprised to not hear back from you/ Stan
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Still trying to figure out how to make this work financially before I bite on a finder's fee. I learned some more about this while speaking with the actual owner.

The car was purchased as a rear seat delete sunroof delete C2 in 1995 by the shop that did the conversion. I was told that the shop was Gulf Perfomance Center in Pompano Beach Florida where it received the country's first 993 BTR conversion (this is what I was told but he dropped enough names and phone numbers to verify that I believe it could be right). The car was featured in 95 or so as the cover story in Road and Track. The 420 HP wasn't enough for the owner so he had the Ruf turbo further modified or and tuned by Prototech which brought it up above 500HP at 1 bar. Again, what I was told.

The current owner added some of the Ruf trim - floormats, door sills, steering wheel (which he didn't attach because he never bothered ordering the adapter from Ruf). He also told me he's willing to take $50K for it as his final price, which I know is a phenomenal deal, just trying to figure out how to make it happen. Not sure if the fact that Prototech modified the BTR increases or decreases the value.

He also said that there's a 1 inch scratch on the hood that he'd have to point out for me to see and he had one of doors repainted because it had a scratch when he bought it (possible keying).
Old 09-07-2006, 06:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I sure hope some lucky Rennlister lands this car, best would be a west coaster! I would guess that the additional mods have as much negative as postive influence on the resale price, and therefore add/detract almost nothing. Sunroof and rear seat delete is a definite positive on the value... I think.

Quick Reply: Value of a 95 Ruf turbo with 15K miles?