Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Value of a 95 Ruf turbo with 15K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of a 95 Ruf turbo with 15K miles?

What's the ballpark value of a 95 Ruf 993 turbo (conversion - based on a C2) in excellent condition, silver on black with under $15K miles? Two owners, no stories.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Priceless.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Best bet is to call up RUF Auto centre or if the conversion was done in Germany then RUF Automobile to get a straight answer.

Maybe CP can help out on this issue as his RUF was a base '95 Carrera that slowly got the workings of a full spec BTR-2 with some RS extras all done in Germany by RUF.

What engine conversion did it get? BTR, RCT...? Was there anything else done to it or was it straight engine conversion?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:10 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

It's a single turbo so I guess that's BTR. Not sure of what else was done to the engine yet as I haven't spoken to the owner (just someone who did) and I'm not even sure if the owner knows. I'll give RUF Auto Centre a call. From the photos, it has the Ruf front bumper (with the slots), rear spoiler, badges, aluminum pedals and door sills, mats, steering wheel, roll cage, wheels, big red brakes. There are no rear seats or rear seatbelts. Does this help to figure out a value?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:29 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I guess a better question should be, at what price is the car a TOTAL no-brainer, ie, if it's in decent shape like the owner claims, what could it fetch on ebay if I absolutely HAD to sell it within a few weeks - which of course I'd hope not to have to do, but it was a ridiculously bizarre personal situation that caused me to have to sell my last 993 and anything's possible.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:04 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Monkey Boy,

This is a tough question. Right now, Ruf Dallas has a very low mileage Turbo R conversion that they are asking $145k. Does your car have Ruf wheels? Ruf suspension? Ruf instruments? Ruf seats? Is the roll cage a Ruf-integrated setup, or an aftermarket? All of these things add value. There are only a few folks that really recognize the value of a properly done Ruf car and are willing to pay for it. They are rare and their value is hard to establish. Give us more details.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:50 AM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I'll give more details as I get them. The car has Ruf wheels, not sure of the suspension, doesn't appear to have Ruf instruments, doesn't have Ruf seats, and the roll cage is not integrated.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:14 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

One way to think about this is the approx cost to duplicate the car. A nice 95 with 15K miles is what? about $40k? the Ruf conversion (depending upon the above details) might be in the $40-$55k range or so. The total cost to duplicate kind of establishes the very, absolute top value... actual selling price is probably 75% or 80% (?) or so of that number.... just tossing out thoughts. What do you think?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:29 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say between $75K and $85K would be a steal! If it has everything. Chris
Old 09-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Yes, you can calculate the cost to duplicate the car. Then figure its worth at 25-35% of that.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:39 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

MB, I wouldn't call Ruf dallas if the conversion was not done there. If it was done in the mid-late 90s, it was likely done in Germany. Call or email them for info - ie: is it really one of their conversions, etc.

I like Ruf cars, and know a bit about Rufus (a great car), so I would have to tell you to take a good, hard look at it. If it is the real deal and you can figure out a price you are comfortable with, then get it. Do all the usual stuff, PPI, comp/leakdown, etc, of course.

The BTR conversion - last I checked - was about 35k euros. depending on the exchange rate while I was looking that could be under 30k USD or now over 40k USD. So as for price, take the 35-40k for the 993 and add some for the mods. Most mods don't hold or add much value, generally speaking, but the RUF stuff should (though the interested crowd is probably small), so I wouldn't expect to get the car for what a 993 with some "local" mods would go for. But as it is not a RUF VIN car, it shouldn't command an obscene premium, either. It probably should cost at the low end of what a tt costs. Somewhere in that range. And though it is far rarer, it also probably can't be as easily modded for MORE power on top of what its got (though I defer to people who actually know this), without losing chunks of its value - then it wouldn't be a RUF, right? And if RUF did more mods... well, you're better off with a high miles tt and sending it to RUF for the turboR treatment. So if power is what you are after, a tt and mods will probably get you more. If rarity is what you want, you probably won't see another Ruf BTR on the street during the majority of your drives. It's 2wd, and a narrow body, and that appeals to some people (me included).

Best of luck!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

It turns out that the price I was given wasn't the right price - it's $8K more but probably still a good deal. Someone here actually made me an offer to broker the deal and let him have it. Decisions.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:48 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Sory I did not catch this thread sooner.

It's a 95, so barrig an tt engine transplant this is a BTR. The fact that it is not an integrated roll cage means it is not RUF vin. The conversion could have been done in Phaffenhausen, and or Weissach in Vancouver BC. It is certainly NOT done in Dallas. When the Dallas shop opened, RUF had already discontinued the BTR kit. One should know also if this is a U.S. spec car (like mine) or a federalized Euro import. Could make a difference.

Now as to value of the car, as many had said, it is such a rare animal there are no sales data to set 'market' value. It is basically what a willing buyer will pay for it. If the seller had set a price then that's at least one reference point. That fact that it is very low miles will certainly add value to a 'collector', not a driver. Also, where the car is located could affect it. In glamorous markets like LA and NY there may be very deep-pocket guys (Steinfeld, Leno come to mind) that will well pay big bucks just for the novalty. If the car is in Green Bay say, it may be harder to find such buyers.

If you want to drive this car (like I do), then be aware that could erode re-sale value. I'd say at this point, $85k minimum. I know both Steve and I paid less than that, but we have cars over 100k miles. But if you add in what we spent on our Rufs, then $85k looks REAL reasonable.

Please keep us posted on the out-come. I'm very interested.

CP
Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Hey CP I'm from Green Bay and almost bought the BTR before you finally got a hold of it! So that is one buyer Also If that $$$ range is considered a deal than I kick myself many many many times that I let that RUF slip through my hands and into yours CP!!! You lucky man you...

As always keep enjoying your RUF and keep up the awesome picture posts and write ups of your travels with the beast.

MonkeyBoy, Get the VIN of the car and call up RUF Automobile in Germany as they have a pretty expansive data base as far as cars they have converted and my have some info on the car? If not well at least you tried?!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I didn't know you wre from Green Bay? I thought you were from the Green Beret!

It is definitely true that I am a very lucky guys to have nabbed Chuck's baby before someone else grabbed it. But even then, the buyer pool for such cars remains very small, compared to regular Carrera buyers.

CP

Quick Reply: Value of a 95 Ruf turbo with 15K miles?