Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rennlist Spirit/Ruf BTR Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:02 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prototech Stage 1 C2 = $51K....not.

The spirit of Rennlist = Helping a fellow Rennlister not get screwed...priceless
Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 PM
simpateko
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob S.
Thanks for posting the findings of your research.
You have saved many of us a lot of time and trouble.
What was once a great car is now a big project.

In Monkeyboy's defense,
Profit, It's not a dirty word, It's what makes the world go round.
Always amusing to hear people criticize others for trying to make a profit when each and every one of us is trying to do the same thing in what ever business we happen to be in.
If we are not making profit, we are not buying Porsches.

This is America, make money when you can, loose it when you must, but don't be afraid to try!

Just my $64 worth.

jeff
Old 09-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i still think this might be a nice car for somebody. Im sure it is in great astethic condition and it can be a 400hp + 2wd 993 coupe. But, after sorting out the programming/ecu, you have a prototech cleanup of a Ruf conversion (not a Ruf cleanup). I think this car only works for someone who would keep it for a long time and just have fun with it. There is little "ruf premium" or prestine premium. In short, its a bit of a frankenstein and there is nothing worse than having a turbo with 'issues' b/c its really hard to know when the car is correctly done. I think recurring issues are very probable.

lastly, i support making profit in all ways. But, in general, 'it takes money, to make money' , so if you find a 993gt2 sitting in a barn, then buy the car and sell it. I think selling the location of the barn is a less kind to the RL community. Afterall, even dealers like RPM, or Premier, offer cash upfront to buy their cars before charging a large premium
Old 09-09-2006, 06:46 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

all those points are reasonable

let's just not screw each other.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 PM
simpateko
Pro

Rob
One of the most commonly sold commodities is information.
Not everyone can buy a $50,000 car but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to profit by putting together a deal on it.
Realtors don't buy the houses they sell.

I am just glad that now we know the details about the car and no one got ripped off, so far anyway.

Respectfully,
jeff
Old 09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
simpateko
Pro

stedge
i hope we all can agree to that!
jeff
Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by simpateko
Rob S.
Thanks for posting the findings of your research.
You have saved many of us a lot of time and trouble.
What was once a great car is now a big project.

In Monkeyboy's defense,
Profit, It's not a dirty word, It's what makes the world go round.
Always amusing to hear people criticize others for trying to make a profit when each and every one of us is trying to do the same thing in what ever business we happen to be in.
If we are not making profit, we are not buying Porsches.

This is America, make money when you can, loose it when you must, but don't be afraid to try!

Just my $64 worth.

jeff
The problem is he comes here and dangles his carrot hoping for money. He says he cant buy it but put down a deposit. Do you think if he cant find a buyer he will honor his deposit and buy it? Nope, he'll cry to get his money back. If you want to dabble in the business be a man and buy the car and resell it.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:20 PM
simpateko
Pro

john
but what if he is a woman?
are you sure he put a deposit on it?
good chance he will loose his deposit.
that is the risk he took to buy his position.
i dont know him and i dont care about this car after learning it's history.
lets go find a real ruf now.
get to work monkeyboy!
jeff
Old 09-09-2006, 07:26 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by simpateko
john
but what if he is a woman?
are you sure he put a deposit on it?
good chance he will loose his deposit.
that is the risk he took to buy his position.
i dont know him and i dont care about this car after learning it's history.
lets go find a real ruf now.
get to work monkeyboy!
jeff
moneyboy could be a woman. maybe the name threw me. In the other thread he said he would be "revealing the info to a member for a finder's fee". Then another member posted a link to the car on autotrader to which monkeyboy/girl immediately responded "yep that's it I put a deposit on it". I agree losing a deposit is the risk one takes. My guess is he will b!tch and moan to get it back.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:32 PM
simpateko
Pro

you are probably right.
a lesson learned!
i am just glad that i didnt put a deposit on it.
jeff
Old 09-09-2006, 07:39 PM
RutgersU
Racer

I'm all for making money but reward usually follows some sort of risk. Unlike Mana/No mercy's Ponzi scheme. If true, his reward will be followed by jail time.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Would anyone care to complete this maxim:

"When something appears too good to be true, it probably.............."
Old 09-09-2006, 09:02 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by john-'96 993 cab
The problem is he comes here and dangles his carrot hoping for money. He says he cant buy it but put down a deposit. Do you think if he cant find a buyer he will honor his deposit and buy it? Nope, he'll cry to get his money back. If you want to dabble in the business be a man and buy the car and resell it.
I was really hoping to be able to buy this car - I didn't come here looking to make a profit. Without going into too much personal detail, I was forced to sell my last 993 to cover a family medical situation. I've since been going through a divorce that has run up well into the six figures due to the complexity of the child custody situation, and I had been looking for much less expensive cars.

This one jumped out at me on cars.com a week or two ago because I recognized the front bumper as being the same one I saw in a Ruf story online. So I called and tried to get some history and everything I was told I relayed in the other thread. I asked the question about it's worth and I was instantly barraged by private messages asking if I'd consider brokering the car. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work myself financially as it seemed like a very rare deal. I have the money, but because my divorce could cost several hundred grand more, I decided that dropping that kind of coin on a car wouldn't be responsible and could even affect a custody decision.

I was contacted by several brokers who were interested and decided I wasn't going to go that route and spoke with two rennlisters directly about me brokering the deal. I've never done this before so I whipped up a quick contract that was really a headhunter's contract I had on my PC and it stipulated that no money would change hands unless the car passed a PPI and the purchase went through. I even included a clause that said I'd refund finder's fee if the buyer returned the car to the seller. I wasn't trying to screw over anyone but I was definitely being a little opportunistic.

The person who I had a verbal agreement with this morning was traveling and wasn't able to get the agreement back to me. I left my credit card with the dealer to hold the car for him but it turns out that someone had beaten me to it with a different sales rep earlier in the day. I had previously offered to drive the car several thousand miles and that was of as much interest to me as the small finder's fee that we had agreed on. The amount that was agreed on, btw, was one that left us both with a good feeling - it was a fair deal for both of us.

I respect your opinions about the rennlist spirit. I saw it no differently as the way people like Luxury Auto Network or whatever they're called broker cars on consignment. If I've offended, I apologize, but I don't feel that I've done anything wrong.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Same car on eBay?
Old 09-09-2006, 09:33 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Monkeyboy, you sound like a respectable guy. I never saw a post that read "I'll sell the information to the highest bidder", it sounds more like people approached you with the idea of a finders fee and its a coin toss whether you take the offer or not.

There have been a couple of posts -on other situations- when people were quick to judge but the reality came out eventually....dont sweat it.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Spirit/Ruf BTR Turbo