Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 997 Carrera S Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 997 Carrera S Test Drive

Had my 993 in for an inspection while I waited this morning, but the power went out at the dealership for 30 minutes due to some construction. So with some time to kill I ask for a 997 test drive, my service guy threw me the keys to a guards red Carrera S with all the fixin’s. I climb inside. I tell myself, I am going to try and let my true honest feelings come forth without bias…am I going to ruin my lust for my 993?...will I want to step out on it?...we’ll see.

First impressions. Seats look nice but feel a little stiff, they are mostly manual adjust (I guess to save weight). But the cockpit feels snug, everything seems to feel a little closer. So I crank ‘er up. Hmmm…starts easy enough…but no feeling like I had just awoken something... like I feel when I start my 993…this was just a refined powerplant coming on-line. My very first sense is I don’t feel anything and barely hear it…oh well.

Shift is very short and precise…nice. Clutch is…well…a little light. I am use to the heavy and firm clutch pedal in the 993…but I could get use to what I am feeling here. But the engagement point is not easily found as I leave the parking …probably because of my usually heavy clutch foot.

So I pull out onto the street. No heavy acceleration…it is a residential area just want to get a feel for the car. Feels VERY tight. I have the Sport button depressed which engages a more spirited ECU program (I was told) and stiffens the suspension. Even then…it is not rattling my teeth or anything…but the car feels like a single unit…again, nice.

Couple of up and down shifts, getting use to the clutch, head onto the freeway. OK..let’s unwind this thing a little. Find my favorite trooper free stretch…no traffic in front, all clear and safe. Slow to about 45…put it in second...and pedal to the floor, quick shift to 3rd, winding up to 7 grand, VERY quick shift into 4th..again watching the tach turn faster than I expect…seems like about 2 nanoseconds since I launched from 2nd…I look at the speedo…HOLY CRAP 132….hit the brakes…dial it back down to about 80. Momma…this is quick. Impressions…fast, but the only time the sound becomes slightly visceral is as it winds from 6-7K..and the shift is VERY quick. Sounds like a Ferrari…I don’t know how else to describe it. High pitch at 7K with a VERY quick pitch change when you go to the higher gear. I like it...sort of…but it doesn’t sound Porsche’esk…but the other thing I am thinking is that the Turbo must be downright evil as I try one more run.

The suspension feels very tight, the car responds to my commands like it has anticipated what I want. But that is what I find myself struggling with a little. The performance is there…no question…the car has capabilities far beyond mine, I try some hard corners, some hard braking, try to see how loose the backend is with some accelerated hard turns. The car performs flawlessly. I know I am well within its envelope…but that’s just it...it feels too safe. Its like I am in a cocoon along for the ride…a very nice one mind you...but that I am an observer and not a participant.

I get a couple of looks…the red is very noticeable. I bring the car back. Give the stereo a go before I turn into the parking lot…nice…still along way to go for Porsche, but at least it is the first time I heard a stock system that got my head bopping.

So what were my final impressions? Great car. No ifs, ands, or buts. Porsche has managed to merge everyday drivability with some awesome performance. Anybody can drive this car and look good doing it. It felt powerful, tight and smooth. The steering was very responsive.

BUT (ok there is a 'but')…and this is a big BUT, it felt like it was drive-by-wire. The sound was less than impressive. The cockpit too cluttered. For those of us that drive and love 993’s, the only analogy I can think of is like moving from a P-51 Mustang to an F-18. You feel like YOU are driving a 993, the 997 felt like IT was driving, I was just giving it directions as to where to go. This is not a bad thing…just that the visceral, connected feeling I get was gone. I can honestly say, I got out of the car and while being thoroughly impressed, I realized later I had not thought…'gotta get me one of these someday'.

I immediately got back into my 993 to drive back to work. The sound, the feel, the smell…it was all back.

Was at a stop light and a guy pulls up beside me and with a big thumbs up yells...”Nice ride!!”.

I say ‘thanks’...and think…ya it is!

Last edited by DaveM993; 09-23-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

I wish I did the same thing rather than buy the damn 997 S and sell it 900 kilometers after.
I didn't loose one kopek then again . . .
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Great, informative post.. I see a lot of those new 4S cars and was wondering how they were to drive.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:29 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Dave ... I enjoyed your review and share your perspective.

I just got back from France where we had rented a Fiat Punto (1.5 L Diesel). One of the things that made it easy to return to real life was the anticipation of getting into the 993 for my daily commute and, once again, appreciating the sometimes taken for granted balance of simplicity, sculpted body, performance, ergonomics and visceral nature that Porsche achieved in 1995.

Lucky :-)
Old 09-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Nice review. I guess I'm a 40-something geezer, but I prefer the classic cockpit of the 993 and later cars.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:26 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To add to your review I have to say that the 997 is better than the 996 in regards to feeling like it has a soul. A good friend of mine (whom I convinced needed a Porsche) bought a 997 C2S Convertible about 3 months ago and of course I drove it one day. Your description is very good in that it has A LOT of power and throughout the band from 2000 RPM on up. And the PASM thing I thought was a gimmick is amazing. You can feel the car sit down and get really aggresive as you turn that system on and off.

Anyway, my 993 has more soul, but the 997 isn't much behind like the 996 series is.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:43 PM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

You know, this is exactly how I felt when I was in the market shopping for cars.

I was going from an E36 M3 into an E46 M3. The E46 is a GREAT car...its awesome...really, BUT I had the same issue. The car feels like drive by wire and did not have the "UMPHH" to it. And then i drove the 993 and it reminded me of Martin Lawernce comment for Will Smiths 911 Turbo "Damn right its limited edition! The F***en thing does not even have a cup holder!" I'm hooked on to my 993. If I have the money, i'd get the RUF conversion done and kick everyone's *** on the road!!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
....…but the other thing I am thinking is that the Turbo must be downright evil as I try one more run.
Enjoyed your assessment ... my run in a 997TT was stunning, and probably would confirm the quote above ..... evil it was, but it was a very civilized evil .
Old 09-22-2006, 07:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Nice review! I understand your points. I bought a brand new 2002 996C2 3.6L (only new car I've ever owned) and it didn't excite me the way my (then current) 73S did. I promply sold it and bought my 73RS clone and 993 and haven't looked back.

The 997GT3 looks to be a great car, but I'm worried that I'd feel the same way after spending all that cash. I'm sure it's much better than a 996C2, but not sure it can deliver in the same way as the earlier cars...
Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Great write up Dave. I spent an hour at the dealer a couple weeks ago looking over all the latest models particularly the 997. I was struck by how large the car appeared to be compared to the 993. A couple days later I had the chance to park next to one and eye ball the differences. It is a wonderful car but obviously very different. Much more smoothed off and streamlined and missing those sensuos curves. I guess I like the 997 on it's own merits but it is not a replacement for me.

Now, two other cars I saw at the dealer did turn me on. One was a speed yellow 04 GT3 that was tough to walk away from. The other was a Cayman S that seemed to be more reminiscent to the 993 than the 997 was. Glad I didn't drive the GT3 as I don't think I could have explained that one when I pulled it in the garage.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:50 AM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review Dave, appreciate the insight
Old 09-23-2006, 01:21 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Nice review. I guess I'm a 40-something geezer, but I prefer the classic cockpit of the 993 and later cars.
Mark,

40-something geezer? I saw your pic in the other thread, and I thought you were in your late-20s.

First to find out you're Asian, then you look half your age. There's something wrong with the picture I was watching.

Sorry for

CP
Old 09-23-2006, 03:19 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny how we all end up thinking the same thing when we try out a generation or two later than our current ride. I got a '68 911 just after the SC's came out. Wow, how will they EVER top that? But, but, but it's so civilized! Then I had SC's when the 964's were new. Ditto. Then finally a 993 dropped in my lap right when these 997's debuted. And you summed it right up!

Hi CP!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great, tight review...
Car and Driver may come knocking on your door!

Thanks for the perspective.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

After 18 months I "replaced? my 997 with a new 993 and agree with every word. Great review.

Jack

Quick Reply: My 997 Carrera S Test Drive