Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Carry a spare .... immobolizer battery ..

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Carry a spare .... immobolizer battery ..

Left my car parked in town for 1/2 hr. the other day ... the key remote would not defeat the immobolizer when I returned - no starter action, dead in the water due to a dead transmitter battery ...
Fortunately, I actually heed some of the good tips on Rennlist: tucked in the glovebox was a fresh 23A battery and a small jewelers screwdriver ( phillips head): in a minuet or so, with a fresh battery installed, the motor came to life.
Had a fresh battery not been available, it would have been a tow truck exercise - so check your glovebox stock ...

I'm learning to detest the immobolizer system ..
Old 09-23-2006, 09:16 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good tip! My spare battery is in the glove box right next to the spare DME relay.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:29 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great tip.

I change the Battry every January 1st on all my remotes. cheap insurance.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also change my battery annually. I do carry both an additional battery and DME relay in the trunk.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:50 PM
GeezC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to keep a jeweler's phillips screwdriver, as well!

Ask me how I know
Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been in that boat more than once. I carry 2 of each battery-alarm and immobilizer.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

.........I carry a battery, screwdriver, DME and the secret code (coded of course) in case I have to do the manual start without the remote.....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-24-2006, 12:42 AM
neunneundrei
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, well, all is good now - now that I know (BTW, I only had the car for a year and didn't know much about the immobilizing affect of the 993...)

A couple of weeks ago I worked my hands raw late night after late night getting my car ready for my first track time in my C4S - installed the PSS9's, replaced all CV boots in the rear (one was torn). Anyway, come Friday I played golf with a client - went back to the car, pulled out my key and the fob was broken. Tried it, didn't work. Tried the key and, yes, the alarm went, and went, until the battery died.

Called both dealers here and they both said that once the immobilizer was activated the car had to be towed in unless the key fob worked - couldn't believe it - never heard of such a thing. It was 3:30pm - dealer said they close in one hour and CAA said the flatbed would take an hour - gees! Flat bed guy calls me and says he's pretty close - so things are looking better. He arrives and we push the car back into the lane of the parking lot and, wouldn't you believe it, some other gent in Lexus decides to back up his car and rips off his driver's side mirror from the bed of the truck! At this point I just want to get outta there - we load the car, call the dealer on the way who agrees to stay open longer and fight traffic - because I HAVE to make my DE event in the morning.

Arrive at the dealer, unload the car, mechanic takes a look and - there's no battery - it must have fallen out when the fob broke apart. So the mechanic installs a new battery, tapes up my fob together, and takes me aside. He shows me the "code" (which I didn't get when I purchased the car), and told me that he defied me to try an emergency start technique outlined in my owner's manual.

So, yes guys, the lesson is to carry a spare - and perhaps become more familiar with the emergency start procedure which likely makes you feel like you're in a scene of 'Mission Impossible 993'. No, I haven't tried testing my hand at it yet...but I will.

-- Enrico
Old 09-24-2006, 01:36 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DME Relay, battery and a pocket tool set in the glove box
with my AAA card next to a bottle of Exedrine just in case!
In the trunk a small tool kit and a tire repair kit with the pump.
The tire repair kit is one of the most important things to have and know how to use. Chris
Old 09-24-2006, 02:14 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The owner's manual tells you how to open the door without triggering the alarm. It also has the procedure for disabling the immobilizer with turns
of the key and your own unique combination. It's pretty ridiculous. I'm sure
the professional thieves can defeat it in seconds while we owners struggle
for hours to start our own cars! Keep the spare battery in the glove box, and
update your keys and remote to the lighted head and separate remote!
The switchblade's remote button caves in and becomes ineffective and the
whole assembly is cheesy and feels like it will twist apart in your hand
when you start the car!

Quick Reply: Carry a spare .... immobolizer battery ..