Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help With Sound of Fabspeed Catbypass vs X-Pipe and Other

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:26 PM
all623
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Sound of Fabspeed Catbypass vs X-Pipe and Other

Recently purchased another Porsche; a 98 993 C2S. I am looking to remove the cats (simply for more noise) and replace them with something like Fabspeed, FVD or the Dach "X-pipes." In either scenario, I plan to retain the Motorsound mufflers for a while. I need help determining the differences in "pitch" and if the difference is attributed to choice of catbypases. It seems all catbypases would sound the same and that what changes the pitch is the type of mufflers on the car?? I have heard the Fabspeeds and they sound fabulous; low note at idle, and loud HIGH pitch/raspy/snarl when you are on the throttle. That's what I want. In contrast, I heard a video (I know, not in person) of the Dach x-pipes with Motorsound mufflers that was posted. It seemed to have too much of a V-8, low pitch, hot rod sound compared to the Fabspeeds. However, I do like that the x-pipes are not visible below the bumper. Again, what I am looking for is what will produce a higher snarly pitch of the choices available. Any help or clarification in the sound differences to guide my decision are appreciated.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here's another question, and YES I've done a search...

HOW MUCH $$ ARE THE DACH X-PIPES???
Old 09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
all623
Instructor

Good question. I need that answer as well.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

As I remember about $700
Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Seems like a lot of cash for what you get, basically a straight pipe with some nice welds. I'd probably pay in the $400 range.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

I have used Fabspeed cat bypass pipes w/ RSR and stock mufflers. Both sound good, but the RSR combo is quite loud(not LRP legal), w/ far more rasp and snarl than w/ stock. W/ stock the sound is still great but far more subdued(LRP legal) w/o the hard edges.

The Dach will definitely not sound the same due to the mixing and resultant interference pattern set up by the 2 banks.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say that much, if not most, of the pitch of the exhaust comes from the mufflers, vs. the cat bypasses. Incidentally I wouldn't consider the Fabspeeds X-pipes, because they are two separate pipes, no cross-over. I have the Fabspeed cat bypasses and with my Cargraphic mufflers, which sounded pretty deep to begin with, sound even more so now. When I first start up the car and it's at cold idle it sounds like a V8 power-boat.

edit re: straight pipe aspect, Bill beat me to it...
Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
...The Dach will definitely not sound the same due to the mixing and resultant interference pattern set up by the 2 banks.
Ditto that.

While I haven't heard Dach pipes it will definitely (just from the above explained reson) sound different.
With exhaust gasses mixed, the pitch usually is higher and in principle, mixing exhaust gasses is a good thing, powerwise.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't consider the Fabspeeds X-pipes, because they are two separate pipes, no cross-over.
An even fire engine does not benefit from a x-over pipe. Look at factory race headers and tail pipes, they are separate for a reason.

Do not confuse the merge design where the 2 banks are sometimes brought together in the same way that the 3 cylinders on a single bank are merged. These are what are called 180 degree headers and the pipes are cut to specific lengths and carefully merged. The resulting pipes smear out the torque curve, peak power is slightly reduced but the wider power band can be very desireable, akin to the way v-ram broadens the power band.

A x-over is only usefull on an odd firing engine such as US 90 degree V-8, they are useful there because there are always 2 cylinders on one bank that fire consecutively into the same collector. The x-over allows for smaller banks while relieveing the extra pressure on the one side.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
all623
Instructor

So the Fabspeed bypasses (which are not the "x" style) sound like the best configuration and sound for the 993 if I understand correctly. I was hoping to get the raspy pitch from the Motorsound/Catbypass like you get from the RSRs/Catbypass configuration. Looks like I will eventually be adding the RSRs. I have heard a 993 with this set up, although loud as you say, it is such a sweet sound. I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else out there that sounds/performs better before I pull the trigger. Thanks for everyone's help on this. Any additional information or sound clips, if available, is certainly welcomed.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

here is a short clip of RSR and Fabspeed

I need to do one of the stock/fabspeed

for the heck of it here is my 3.8RS/headers/Flowmaster, I tried to do one at full tilt but technical issues prevented it.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 PM
all623
Instructor

Thanks! Fabspeed/RSR sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I would like to here the same with stock if you ever get an opportunity to record and post it.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

all623, you have pm, I have fspeed cat bypass pipes, really clean, available.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:28 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Seems like a lot of cash for what you get, basically a straight pipe with some nice welds. I'd probably pay in the $400 range.
We like to say......don't have DACH, you don't have D**K I could give you the X for that......but the attached ends you'd have to fab and weld on for yourself
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by all623
Recently purchased another Porsche; a 98 993 C2S. I am looking to remove the cats (simply for more noise) and replace them with something like Fabspeed, FVD or the Dach "X-pipes." In either scenario, I plan to retain the Motorsound mufflers for a while. I need help determining the differences in "pitch" and if the difference is attributed to choice of catbypases. It seems all catbypases would sound the same and that what changes the pitch is the type of mufflers on the car?? I have heard the Fabspeeds and they sound fabulous; low note at idle, and loud HIGH pitch/raspy/snarl when you are on the throttle. That's what I want. In contrast, I heard a video (I know, not in person) of the Dach x-pipes with Motorsound mufflers that was posted. It seemed to have too much of a V-8, low pitch, hot rod sound compared to the Fabspeeds. However, I do like that the x-pipes are not visible below the bumper. Again, what I am looking for is what will produce a higher snarly pitch of the choices available. Any help or clarification in the sound differences to guide my decision are appreciated.
I think my site has been altered (and not by me). All those clips sound the same all of a sudden. I really need to redo those clips.
Eccentially my pipes will accentuate sound, they are tame for cruising around town, but once you get the revs up over 4K......look out
Also, these have been described as auto art, not just a cheap bolt on. They are all hand made by a friend of mine and I and we try to make every effort to put out the best quality we possibly can. Its sort of similar to you can go buy a pair of shoes at any local shoe store or you can get a bespoke pair......and the price will be different.

Quick Reply: Help With Sound of Fabspeed Catbypass vs X-Pipe and Other