Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Ultimate Compliment, “Is it new?”

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Unless you count that %^#$%$@ of a shopping cart boy. But he's dead now...

Did the body fit into the boot ok?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:00 PM
ignomini
Advanced

I bought my '97 TT back in May and am still explaining to friends it's not an '06. Amazing.

Now, to come clean on the hate side, back in the days when all I could afford was a beat up $100 truck, I used to antogonize expensive cars. The circumstances were as follows, if I saw an expensive car taking TWO parking spots, I would make a point of parking as close as humanly possible up against their driver's door. If they only took one spot I left them alone. Come to think of it, that two spot thing still pisses me off. Welthy people are often despised not because of their money, but because of how it makes them act.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:59 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have had the good and bad owning the 993. The good is getting play from young girls; even in front of the wife. She thinks it is very funny.

The bad is some moron commenting on the car like ZP's experience. I have had this happen a couple of times and my comment is to say that it is to compensate for my lack of manhood, in crude terms . It made the girls who were with the loon get real embarassed and uncomfortable until I point out that if I was compensating then I would not be talking about it. So far it has been like the Jedi mind trick with the guys.

On the other hand, I have a temporary health issue that has given me a handicap placard for 6 months. The looks I get using the P-Car and parking in the handicap space is, not fun.

People are rude and jealous of any sucess and that sucks.

Oh, and Chucks car does look brand new.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:39 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

Can't say that I've ever had any negative comments or distressing situations towards the car - although as someone else posted, I am very careful not to appear snobby on the roads...but then again I don't actually look out the window and see all the raised fingers at me either

Probably the most frustrating thing is hearing people talk about the ownership as if it fell into my lap - and they have NO idea what it took in my life to achieve one of my goals. Mind you, not sure I should really care...
Old 10-25-2006, 01:46 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get "attitude" from the Riced out Econobox drivers with the 4" exhaust tips. They are either telling their friends how their Civic, WRX or whatever can leave me in the dust while standing there slobbering on my car, not realizing I'm walking up... or they rev their motors at the stoplights in an effort to goad me in to a race. When someone stops me to say something to my face intentionally, it is usually compliments from a car enthusiast who appreciates seeing a nice car, whether they can afford it or not.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:06 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
onlycafe,
I hope you never need to experience any of the bad stuff that 993's or any nice car causes sometimes due to jealousy. I'll probably be banned by the moderator for the backlash this will incite but oh well, what the heck: It almost makes owning the 993 not worth the hassle.
Note the word "almost".....

wow!... My car spent four or five years of its life in santa barbara. I never once had any problems with people........well, One time, I did have the policia....stop, and measure my ride height............my old car was LOW>>>>>>>>>>>>really LOW

I do always get a kick out of these type of stories.....what is that joke?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil,
I've only had two incidents, the one where some dumb *** decided it would be funny to see just how close he could park to my car never ever having seen me. Again, the driver never saw me. I was parked there before he showed up. He then moved even closer after I moved it a foot away to give some more room because 1 inch is too close. (party at a private residence parked at the end of a cul-de-sac in goleta). Second and most recent situation was in front of the Albertsons on the Mesa. The guy pretending to kick my car didn't ever see me until I said something. He was just attracted to the $1800 shiny new hood and bumper cover paint job and thought it would be funny to pretend to kick a nice looking car. What a dumbass. I'm embarassed at just how many idiots there are out there. I'd never have done something like that even if I was 8 years old. Ah yes, our wonderful society! Its pathetic.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

someone asked me recently if i had the 997 facelifted version on my car..

wan't sure to laugh or cry
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
i live in southamerica .. you know .. 3rd world .. we are not yet domesticated .. so i say "if you scratch my car i kill you ... "

works wonderfully well .......
Old 10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

So here is one...

My friend has a new white 997., A bunch of us are walking to our cars at the end of work. My one co-worker says. " I like the red one better, Not only because it's Red but because the new ones just look so much better. "
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

I love speeding up to see a nice ride when im in the work van just to give a thumbs up to the owner.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck,

That still happens to me all the time, as well!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

It's unfortunate that some people in the world have concluded that the Porsche is a mere status symbol. This is not a good thing for Porsche at all. In fact, in Europe, the Porsche has become so associated with being overpriced, impractical and just anti-social that outside of a 10 km ring of Zuffenhausen you rarely see them much anymore.

As a result, so many Porsche owners have to cling to the Porsche club for a similar understanding of our appreciation for fine engineering. I can't wait until my Porsche is a bit older and its appreciated for its staying young looking and not seen as an expensive toy for some middle aged loser.

With all the nasty things I read about in SoCal I will be careful not to park in Goleta or up on the Mesa.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:25 AM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even like driving the 993 to work because of coworkers and others giving you the "it must be nice to have the money to afford a Porsche." Then I look around the lot to see Mercedes, BMWs, Lexi, expensive new pickups, Infinitis, and more. Makes me frustrated. Even if I say yeah, but it's a 10 year old used car, I get the look. Maybe it'd be better if it was dirty and unkept instead of shining like a new car.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:39 PM
JChiles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
. In fact, in Europe, the Porsche has become so associated with being overpriced, impractical and just anti-social that outside of a 10 km ring of Zuffenhausen you rarely see them much anymore.
Don't know where you're getting this from. Europe is pretty big .. In Sweden you rarely get sour comments about a Porsche..Never heard of anyone getting into trouble at the parking lot for having a P either. In Germany people certainly are used to seeing luxury cars everywhere.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Compliment, “Is it new?”