993 Forum 1995-1998

PCA 993 Registry

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by il pirata
Okay I sent off a message to National….as mentioned above there is currently a vacancy for the National Chair for Registrars so it may take a bit of time to get a response. Will advise once I get a response.
Originally Posted by uscarrera
Bob if I can be of any help let me know I found having helpers really made Registry work easier.
Rich
OK I'm game. Just retired and have some time. Let me know where this goes. PM or email at plohmeyer@woh.rr.com (preferred).
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Dan, if you get the go-ahead, I heartily agree with uscarrera. Enlist reliable assistance to make the job enjoyable and afford, as we said in the military, "dual channel for reliability". Some 27 years ago, I founded The M Register for "grey market" M635CSi and M5. Then, we expanded to include the U.S. equivalents which raised the workload significantly...All this before the age of the Internet and e-mail. Composing newsletters on a word-processor, printing and sending via snail-mail, registrations to process, dues notices to send, even the distribution of double-valve spring kits for the affected grey market cars. Although I gave it up years ago, I have file drawers full of records and still get calls for history on specific cars. Let me know if I can offer assistance or advice gleaned from my previous experience.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
OK I'm game. Just retired and have some time. Let me know where this goes. PM or email at plohmeyer@woh.rr.com (preferred).
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Dan, if you get the go-ahead, I heartily agree with uscarrera. Enlist reliable assistance to make the job enjoyable and afford, as we said in the military, "dual channel for reliability". Some 27 years ago, I founded The M Register for "grey market" M635CSi and M5. Then, we expanded to include the U.S. equivalents which raised the workload significantly...All this before the age of the Internet and e-mail. Composing newsletters on a word-processor, printing and sending via snail-mail, registrations to process, dues notices to send, even the distribution of double-valve spring kits for the affected grey market cars. Although I gave it up years ago, I have file drawers full of records and still get calls for history on specific cars. Let me know if I can offer assistance or advice gleaned from my previous experience.
Thanks for the suggestions and support.We can discuss further once PCA agrees to move forward. I am hoping to get something rolling by Parade time…will be in Monterey so I can meet with any of the leaders if required. If any of you who are interested in helping are going to be in Monterey let me know…we should meet.

Dan email sent.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Martin S.
volunteer to do the 993 site for PCA. I contacted the guy in charge (John Straub, San Diego PCA) and as I recall, he said I needed to have my own web site to be considered. Not certain why (Can't remember as this was about 10 years ago).

If you are selected, this may be a time consuming project.
PCA offers free hosting to Registry's and Regions but we will need to develop the content. And yes the start will consume a fair amount of time.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
il pirata
Banned

Default Update

Sean Reardon who is the PCA National Secretary has advised they would like to wait until a new coordinator for the registries is in place before working on establishing another one. I have asked if one will be in place before Parade. I will post any updated info from PCA.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
il pirata
Banned

Default More Info

I will be posting more info for everyone to review as I gather it.

One point that should be mentioned is that it appears you will have to be a PCA member IF the registry WEB site is hosted by PCA and you want to join the registry. Also it appears that IF we want to have PCA liability protection for events etc these have to coordinated with the region where the event will held and you will also have to be a PCA member. I have no issues with this but also realize some number of 993 owners are not PCA members and may not want to join. Of course there are a number of 993 owners not that active on Rennlist and PCA members who will be interested in a 993 registry.

Specific to the WEB site PCA offers a widely used content management system (DotNetNuke Community Edition CMS) which I believe is at no cost along with the servers/memory etc. This will greatly reduce the start-up and ongoing cost for the 993 registry site.

One of the major benefits of a 993 registry will be a way of organizing events with 993 owners, either on our own or as part of bigger Porsche meetings. Doing this through the PCA system will provide liability protection for everyone involved.

I am not trying to sell anyone on PCA membership. I do feel that doing it under the PCA umbrella will greatly reduce the cost and offer a number of other benefits.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Bob, thank you for looking into this. I will be at Parade for a couple of days and would be happy to meet. I assist the club in another fashion and have seen first hand how beneficial to us being part of PCA can be on MANY levels - from gathering information from official sources about our cars, to organizing events, etc. PCA has been looking for a group coordinator for some time and I hope the right person answers the call and soon: http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/pc...escription.pdf
Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

If it helps reduce costs then going under the PCA umbrella would make real sense to me. Then again I am a PCA member so I might be biased.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pirahna
If it helps reduce costs then going under the PCA umbrella would make real sense to me. Then again I am a PCA member so I might be biased.
+1 Bob, again, contact me if you need help.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by ilko
Bob, thank you for looking into this. I will be at Parade for a couple of days and would be happy to meet. I assist the club in another fashion and have seen first hand how beneficial to us being part of PCA can be on MANY levels - from gathering information from official sources about our cars, to organizing events, etc. PCA has been looking for a group coordinator for some time and I hope the right person answers the call and soon: http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/pc...escription.pdf
Thanks ilko. We should try to meet along with any other 993 owners that would like to discuss the registry. I will be in town the whole week. Right now Wed. morning look like a good time for me. Let me know what your schedule is like.

Originally Posted by DanL993
+1 Bob, again, contact me if you need help.
Dan I will post some more details here about the WEB hosting and also what a registry does (PCA definition). Please look it over and see what areas are of interest to you to help on. I have not yet looked at breaking tasks down into areas that could be handed off to others.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 PM
il pirata
Banned

Default WEB Hosting

For those of you with a more technical interest here is the link to the PCA page on WEB hosting.

http://www.pca.org/Regions/WebsiteHosting.aspx

Last edited by il pirata; 04-23-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Default PCA Register Groups

Here is the link to the PCA WEB page that talks about Special Interest Groups. I am willing to sign up as the Advocate but there is a lot of work that can be done by others.

Please give some thought to what you would like to see the group focus on. Do not really need this yet…but be ready to offer suggestions hopefully not too far in the future.

http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegisterGroups.aspx
Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 PM
il pirata
Banned

Default PCA Register Links

Here are a couple of links to Special Interest Groups (SIG) that do not show up on the PCA site that I previously posted. These both look like they are fairly up to date and active. I have signed up for one so I can navigate through the details…any PCA member can do the same.

http://boxsterregister.org/index.php

http://www.caymanregister.org

If you are interested in helping out down the road (even if it is just suggestions on what you would like to see) check out the other SIG sites as well. At some point we will want to develop some requirements for the 993 SIG site and will ask for suggestions (and help!).
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd definitely like to see an active 993 registry through the PCA. I'm not quite sure what assistance I can provide at the moment, but I'd be willing to help the effort.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Being a member, I can certainly understand the myriad benefits of being under the PCA "umbrella". OTOH, it excludes ROW owners' involvement, especially with our neighbors to the North. Wish there were some way to offer an "associate" status. As posted before, glad to offer assistance in development of the Registry.

Quick Reply: PCA 993 Registry