Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for RHD 993 owners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question for RHD 993 owners...

How many of you have back-pains because of your 993? I know I've asked this before, but today was a bad day.

I'll explain why - I went to Southbound Trimmers today (can't recommend them highly enough), and Dave was kind enough to fit a new foam base to my seat. In my mind, this was the cause of the excrutiating pain in my lower back (and at times, shooting pains down my left leg) when driving the car. Indeed, it turned out that the support had collapsed slightly, but Dave urged caution, noting that usually, this was nothing untoward and shouldn't cause the pain.

Driving back in what is now, for all intents and purposes, a new factory comfort seat with lumbar (I had the whole lumbar unit replaced by Porsche thinking that was the culprit - for over £700), after twenty minutes the pain was back, and after thirty, I had to pull over to stretch it out.

I now think that, for whatever reason, my body just can't get on with the pedal offset, and the resulting seating position (angled, and pushed into the right-hand-side of the seat). No matter what I do - replace with Recarros, GT3s, Sports etc, this offset will always be the same. I'm guessing so will the pain.

And that means no roadtrips across Europe. No cross-continental blatts. Hell - I can't even use the car for 30 minutes without crimping in pain. And I have no back problems at all...

I love my 993 more than I thought it was possible to love a car... so please, you RHD owners, give me your own experiences and, hopefully, some solution that you found. Otherwise I might have to do something I really don't want to...

Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it, but I have driven RHD and LHD 993's, the LHD cars in my opinion are easier, not sure if that is the right word though, to drive, the steering controls and gear change all seem lighter, plus the offset on the pedals is so much less. I used to get a burning pain in my right thigh that went all the way up to my hip on a long drive in the RHD car, I don't get this in the LHD car, and they both had the same seats, (hard back sports).

I guess it all stems from that original design 40 odd years ago. See if you can get a drive in a LHD 993 TT car, try it out see what you think.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need to try the LHD or move to the newer versions....
For what it's worth, driving the LHD is no major problem although you do have to sit back a little further and be more cautious in overtaking. Oh, yeah forgot about the tolls and barriers at car parks are a pain but then I don't drive to these places .

Harry
Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Oxford_Hippo
Intermediate

Hi,

I've got a reasonably knackered back - and don't find the 993 too much of a problem ( but the pedals do seem very close together - so half the time feet virtually overlap )

My chiropracter always suggested you use a lumbar roll - basically just some thing ( jumper, rolled up bath towel etc. ) placed in the small of your back to promote good posture.

I have seen 993 seats with an inflatible cushion fitted inside the seat back, and connected to a small ballon.bellows with a valve,

you just pump up thhe cushion to the required size , and if someone else is driving - they can release the valve and empty the cushion. ( same way Audi etc put the dial on the side of the seat to change the tension and so the support the seat gives at the small of your back )

Ammatuer version of the pump-up cushion could be the foil bag from inside a wine box - they're pretty tough - but rinse out any dregs of wine thoroughly.

Easy test for your posture - sit in the drivers seat, get comfortable - then get passenger to look at your posture, and then make a conscious effort to sit up as straight as you can - see how far back your shoulders move and your gut moves forward.....

your back symptoms sounds like lumbar area - as that's what affects the nerve in your leg.

I'm not a chiropracter ( so no vested interest in the following ) but I'd suggest you see one - even if only for 1 treatment to see what they think!

Other really minor thing that can also really affect your posture in the car - do you keep your wallet in your back pocket - sounds unlikely, but Chirprater also said that can cause problems - especially if you're sat in the seat for a long time.

rolled up towel is probably a lot cheaper - and quicker way to test the solution.

there - that ends Dr Kildare's amateur surgery
Good luck!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if you can try a good aftermarket seat in your car (better... a long test drive in a car so equipped), and see how your back does with that?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Oxford Hippo: Thanks for the advice, unfortunately, apart from seeing a chyropractor, I've tried everything you've suggested. My car has the adjustable lumbar support (it's not a bubble in the 993, but a foam pad with four-direction movement), and I've also tried the old 'jumper down the back of the seat' trick. When I did, I noticed that when I left the car, it was pushed far to one side (towards the door), implying that I hadn't been sitting straight.

The thing that really shocks me is that my posture is fine, and I am generally very fit with no back issues at all. (Oh, and my wallet - usually in my back pocket fits nicely under the handbrake when driving...)

Steve: I looked at Recarros today, and was very impressed (especially as I can get it trimmed in CanCanLeather/Alcantara to match my car). If it is the angle as opposed to the seat that is the problem, an (admittedly gorgeous) new seat isn't exactly gonna help. But your idea's good.. so:

IF ANYONE IN THE LONDON AREA WITH A RECARRO EQUIPPED 993 WANTS TO LET ME TAKE THE CAR FOR AN EXTENDED TEST DRIVE (30MINS PLUS), LUNCH AND A BEER ARE ON ME!

In the aid of a good cause, of course!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
mborkow
Drifting

IF ANYONE IN THE LONDON AREA WITH A RECARRO EQUIPPED 993 WANTS TO LET ME TAKE THE CAR FOR AN EXTENDED TEST DRIVE (30MINS PLUS), LUNCH AND A BEER ARE ON ME!
you might want to sweeten the offer by letting them get a 30 minute test drive in your car; i know i'd be all over the chance to drive the TTS :-)
Old 01-23-2007, 12:19 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have RHD and LHD 993s and the offset on the RHD is much more severe...I generally find the LHD more comfortable as at least the foot area is not as cramped. The other thing to consider is that although you are sitting straight ahead, your arms and legs are constantly angled to one side, so while driving your back is twisted even when at rest. Would angling the seat slightly toward the center of the car help? You'd probably have to bolt it directly to the floor and lose fore and aft adjustability (an aftermarket seat would probably work best).
Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 AM
leosayer
Racer

On very long journeys I get a pain in my right hip...it gets so uncomfortable that I have to get out and go for a walk.

I treat it like the warning you get on many cars to stop for a rest after 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the pedal layout, not the seat...unless you were able to twist the seat to face the pedals directly. I think cruise control would be the only cure for me.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:14 AM
xrix
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oxford_Hippo
( but the pedals do seem very close together - so half the time feet virtually overlap )
That's a *good*, if you're talking about the throttle and brake :-)
Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Would angling the seat slightly toward the center of the car help?
That is what I have done because of the back ache. But I did not change no seat.
The idea, as David says, is to angle the seat to the center of the car, so that the
pedals would exactly face you.
To do this, I checked the DIY on Robins, "how to change a stripped seat shaft"
If your car is a right hand drive, remove the left (forward/backward) flexible shaft from
the servo-motor, in front of the seat.
Push the forward electric button on the seat in slight touches, to angle the seat.
If you over do it, the leather will start squealing.
Take your time and adjust as restfull as can be. If you are tall, the angle to achieve is less. You can easily do it while you sit, you will instantly feel the difference.
Replug the seat shaft and voila!
What you said concerning your body always angled to the right is the result of that.
All depends on the back rest, and calibrating the back rest is the most important for driving, and not the lower seat.
try lowering the backrest all the way back, you cannot drive the car.
After doing that, I was again able to drive the car for hours with no ache.

Last edited by geolab; 01-23-2007 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I discovered ( by accident) that both the left and right sides of the tub are different lenghts. The right side is shorter by about 4 inches/12 cms.

Accordingly, the steering wheel/seat must be different in LHD/RHD cars.

Perhaps this contributes to your problem.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by mborkow
you might want to sweeten the offer by letting them get a 30 minute test drive in your car; i know i'd be all over the chance to drive the TTS :-)
Good point so: IF ANYONE IN THE LONDON AREA WITH A RECARRO EQUIPPED 993 WANTS TO LET ME TAKE THE CAR FOR AN EXTENDED TEST DRIVE (30MINS PLUS), LUNCH AND A BEER ARE ON ME! OH, AND THEY CAN DRIVE MY CAR!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by geolab
That is what I have done because of the back ache. But I did not change no seat.
The idea, as David says, is to angle the seat to the center of the car, so that the
pedals would exactly face you.
To do this, I checked the DIY on Robins, "how to change a stripped seat shaft"
If your car is a right hand drive, remove the left (forward/backward) flexible shaft from
the servo-motor, in front of the seat.
Push the forward electric button on the seat in slight touches, to angle the seat.
If you over do it, the leather will start squealing.
Take your time and adjust as restfull as can be. If you are tall, the angle to achieve is less. You can easily do it while you sit, you will instantly feel the difference.
Replug the seat shaft and voila!
What you said concerning your body always angled to the right is the result of that.
All depends on the back rest, and calibrating the back rest is the most important for driving, and not the lower seat.
try lowering the backrest all the way back, you cannot drive the car.
After doing that, I was again able to drive the car for hours with no ache.
I thought about angling the seat, but it just didn't seem like an option (seemed a bit extreme, and our cars are so small...). If, as you say, it is that easy, I'd definitely be up for giving it a try. How difficult was it to do?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
I thought about angling the seat, but it just didn't seem like an option (seemed a bit extreme, and our cars are so small...). If, as you say, it is that easy, I'd definitely be up for giving it a try. How difficult was it to do?
On a scale of 10, 10 being the hardest, the level is zero, nill, phi
all you need is a philips (cross) screw driver, and 3 mimutes in daylight.
Check the p-car.com for how to's, because there is pictures.
the seat motor is down under front of the seat.
you unscrew the black plastic cover, and the motor is there.
two flexible cables hook to it like moustaches.
You can disconnect any one side (in fact, the tilt effect is the same once you halt one cable)
You sit and adjust the angle desired, with the forward backward switch on the side
Rehook the flexible cable you disconnected.
screw on back the plastic cover, ......shana tova

Quick Reply: Question for RHD 993 owners...