Sponsored by: DashLynx

Took car in for misfires...mechanic's report

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took car in for misfires...mechanic's report

I was having some misfires since I received the car from the seller (my dad) in early Nov. I got one CEL code for misfires after a car wash, so I decided to take it in and have it checked out...now, I'm glad I did.

Turns out, that the wires were not only shot, but that the lower distributor was barely firing due to corrosion!! He also said the screws to remove the caps were severly rusted on...so I think that the belts haven't been checked (maybe ever).

Also had the plugs replaced while he was in there (even though they were supposedly replaced at 84,000 miles...car has 96k), and three of the plugs looked as though they hadn't been replaced in a LONG time. He said the "toughest" plug to reach, had the electrode damn near welded to the tip. This again leads me to believe that work my dad had been billed for may not have been performed.

I'll take pics and post them after I pick up the car. I am real excited to have everything sorted, the car is going to be in top shape when I get it back!!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you got to the bottom of things. You will be amazed at how well the car pulls with new plugs, caps, & rotors. I changed mine at 60K & it was a night & day difference!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

I knew there was a problem when there was a flat spot in the 2k-3.5k rpm range.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChicagoFX(993)
He said the "toughest" plug to reach, had the electrode damn near welded to the tip. This again leads me to believe that work my dad had been billed for may not have been performed.
That is, unfortunately, very common. I've heard of a lot of shops changing only 11 plugs without telling...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

On the bright side, at least now you don't have to sue your dad for misrepresentation. Many of us don't trust shops to do spark plug changes since they often lie about doing it, as you've seen. That one last plug doubles the labor time. BTW, who did your recent work? And didn't Kelly Moss do the previous work?

P.s. I noticed you post on AW too. I do under 911eric. Do I know you? My wife Shon & I instruct at ACCCCCC events.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Oxford_Hippo
Intermediate

Is it worth asking your mechanic to keep the old plugs after they change them - so you can see the condition of them,

that way easy to make sure all 12 get changed ?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it worth asking your mechanic to keep the old plugs after they change them - so you can see the condition of them, that way easy to make sure all 12 get changed
That's what I did last time, & my mechanic had no objections.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 PM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

Yeah, the shop that did all the previous work was a dealership in Madison WI. Kelly Moss does all the work on his new 997 S, and my mom's car, and my brother's Audi.

Eric, I have met Smurfette before at a Audi GTG. I haven't been to the Chicago events, but I plan to this summer w/the 993 VFC Engineering here in Chicago is doing the work now, I trust them a great deal and they are wonderful folks (they're also in the city so it is quite convenient).

And yes, they are keeping all the plugs and wires to let me take pics and show them to my dad. If I did sue my dad...he'd crush me, since he's been a lawyer since the mid 70's.

I'll keep everyone updated on this.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

Hell, I'd take it back to the Madison dealer when you find yourself in the area, show them the parts and the receipts for the work they supposedly did and ask for a refund or at least negotiate some service that they can handle, like a couple of oil changes.

-Jim
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

That's what my dad is going to do, as he was the owner at the time. AND he's bought about 6-7 cars from them (all fairly high end) so I know they'll straighten it out (or at least the head of sales will...since that's who my dad bought his cars from).

Should be interesting. I've told my dad for years to go indy instead of dealer (if he's not under warranty), he's only recently started listening.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoFX(993)
That's what my dad is going to do, as he was the owner at the time. AND he's bought about 6-7 cars from them (all fairly high end) so I know they'll straighten it out (or at least the head of sales will...since that's who my dad bought his cars from).

Should be interesting. I've told my dad for years to go indy instead of dealer (if he's not under warranty), he's only recently started listening.
There's a thread that just started on where the BEST place is to take your P-car for *reliable* service. Remember NOT to post the name of THAT dealership in THAT thread.

Gerry

Quick Reply: Took car in for misfires...mechanic's report