Tip owners with OBC Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip owners with OBC Tachometer

I recently asked the service manager at my local dealership to tell me the options for repairing my tach when the light behind the OBC quit working. He quoted me $1,500 installed for a new tech telling me that the tach is not user-serviceable. First thing I did was a Rennlist search and found lots of evidence that he (service manager) needs some education about servicing tachometers.

It cost $4.75 for a new bulb from Pelican, and a relatively easy DIY to replace the bulb.

Thanks Rennlist!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:24 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the display completely blank of just not lit up? Just curious, I have a spare which dosen't work after having bought one from a breaker because mine had stopped working!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

The OBC was working; in some light, you could see that it was operating albeitly very faint. If the OBC isn't working at all, I'd say the bulb route isn't for you.

Cheers!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 PM
jbotx
5th Gear

Was the light bulb housing amber or green? Did you have to open the back of the tach to replace the bulb?

Also, how did you get the tach out of the dash, did you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel to gain access to the tach? Or is there a shortcut?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 AM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simon,

I had a similar fault but the bulb would sometimes go on, off or dim. Changed the bulb no difference. Changed the transistor that controls it, blow again after 3 days. Decided to make minor internal changes to the tach to bypass the controlling hardware. Now the bulb switches on when I turn on the ignition via a resistor to keep it a little dimmer. Although not as good as a new unit it does what I want.

BR, Mark.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbotx
Was the light bulb housing amber or green? Did you have to open the back of the tach to replace the bulb?

Also, how did you get the tach out of the dash, did you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel to gain access to the tach? Or is there a shortcut?

Thanks!
The OBC light bulb base is a light green/blue. Yes, you open the back of the tach by removing two small screws - very simple.

The OBC version tach is much deeper than it's non-OBC cousin and therefore the only way to get the tach out is to a) disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes before removing the airbag, b) remove the airbag (very easy as long as you have torx wrenches), c) remove the steering wheel, and d) remove the 4 screws that secure the column switch housing. Then you need to remember how to put it all back together again in reverse order!

There are some helpful DIY's; search Rennlist, and at P-Car.com.

Quick Reply: Tip owners with OBC Tachometer