993 Forum 1995-1998

Factory speaker size in 993..two way...yes, I searched

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
I have placed mine in the door compartment, exactly under the door lid (handle)
Even when you open the door lid, the crossover will be hidden in the front space below the door opening handle
Bingo!!!! best place to install.

Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by allill
Mike,

do you know if 6.75" will fit in the doors of a non-hifi car? I'm also on the hunt for some new mids. also, if i get a component setup for the front, where would the crossovers go?

btw, got the trim rings in today, thanks mike!
Man a 6.75 may be tight and not work. The largest I have done is 6.50. Glad you like the trim rings. Pics please.

Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Bingo!!!! best place to install.

Mike
I had planned on mounting the crossover in the trunk right next to the amp. Since the speaker wires are terminating there anyway, I thought it would be nice and convenient-especially when you tune the tweeters.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am thinking about these mb quart components for the price, but they are 5.25. any thoughts on if i should go this route or w/ a 2 way 6.5?

link http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KeW1w4q...10&I=049RUA213
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

I am going for as much mid bass as possible considering I will not be running a sub-point being, 6.5 for me and I am going with the Infintiy Kappa perfects. Not the 'best' BUT very nice in my opinion and for my ear, just as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:53 PM
allill
Drifting

what do the kappas cost and are they coaxial or component?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought some lovely MB QUART Discus Line DSD-216 6.5" Component speakers. I had to trim the door panel slightly to make them fit perfectly, but the tweeters slip into the original housing with no problems and the MB Quart grills look almost OEM. I'm delighted with the sound and they are a million times better than the Nokia crap that Porsche saddled us with.

I also put some JBL GTO6426e 6x4 Inch speakers in the back which were so simple to install the whole process took 10 minutes. They use the OEM grills so it's nice stealth install.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by allill
what do the kappas cost and are they coaxial or component?
I bought mine from an eBay retailer for 220.00 shipped. I checked with his last buyer to see about the experience etc. Thumbs up so, I went for it. Typically, the perfects run 399.99 at most retailers.

Granted, I might have warranty issues BUT Infinity is a good brand and I have run their speakers before with good luck.

I am not going to use the stock tweeter pod anyway because of poor imaging/control so I will surface mount the Infinity tweeter which will look pretty much factory.

If you are a buyer that MUST go with an authorized retailer of the brand e.g. Crutch, etc, then you could go with their Kappa or Reference line. The difference is probably not going to be that much in this car considering the poor acoustics to start with i.e. I would not spend a lot of cash on stereo upgrades in this vehicle in the first place. I would rather save up for an RS clutch/flywheel ( :

I will report back when I get them in. I don't forsee any issues or complaints considering my past experience with them.

Polk db6500's are also very good for the price. I ran them in a series 100 Landcruiser with very good results.

IN my opinion, a car is just not a good place to try and get pristine sound. You begin at a disadvantage and end, always, at a compromise. It is not like home theater.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any decent sites that describe how these speakers will sound? I liked my old Infinity's- they were bright like Quarts are supposed to be. Focals are supposed to be more laid back sounding.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Well, I am not sure.

I can describe the sound as modern and bright-that is why I will attenuate the tweeter -4db. They say a good break in period is required but after that they warm up.

I am not a big fan of the the NEW speaker craze which is generally designed to match the crisp clear recordings that are being made via digital applications. Hell, any more, you record your tracks into a PC-you don't even get any mediums to warm up the sound.

So, I would decribe them as very clear and crisp. Allman Bros and Muddy Waters sound a bit odd but Beyonce sounds like she is in the studio.

Make sense?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
Well, I am not sure.
you record your tracks into a PC-you don't even get any mediums to warm up the sound.
+1
Old 03-01-2007, 05:46 AM
allill
Drifting

I just went and bought some coaxial speakers, nothing high end, but still WAY better than the stock crap our cars came with. I couldn't listen to the paper coned nokias in my car anymore so I went out to my local Circuit City and bought Pioneer coax's in 6.5" and 4". After looking around, I found the grille of the pioneer to be one of the better looking ones in the price range. Others look like toys, cheap toys. I wanted to get the Polk 6.5" coaxials for the sound, but they really look bad. Power comes from the PO's alpine cdm9823 which is nothing great, but the sound together is way better than it was with the stock speakers. I had no issues fitting the 6.5's in the front.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Coaxials or components???
Old 03-01-2007, 12:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the actual stock speaker is 5.5 but the grill is 6.5, its got the biggest lip I've ever seen in a car speaker. Be careful when selecting 6.5 speakers as the hole might be to small for it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
I am going for as much mid bass as possible considering I will not be running a sub-point being, 6.5 for me and I am going with the Infintiy Kappa perfects. Not the 'best' BUT very nice in my opinion and for my ear, just as well.
Be careful with the newer Inf. Kappa's and I think the Perfects, they are now 2 ohm speakers. Unless you use a sep amp designed to drive 2 ohm you can have problems, I wouldn't use 2 ohm on any head unit amp only system.

I used to run Inf. Kappas but got tired of the sound (not enough bass) and now use MB Quartz or others.

I think the original poster was looking for rear speakers for a Cab, they are std. 4" as was posted by Arena993 and the only minor issue is making sure the magnet housing in the back of the speaker isn't so big it impacts the operation of the seat belt spool. I have Polk db's in the rear and they just touch the seat belt mechanism.

When I installed the MB Q's in the front I wish I had thought of putting the crossover in the arm rest assy., it would have been much less a headache!

Quick Reply: Factory speaker size in 993..two way...yes, I searched