Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering feel...not real happy

Hi all.

1995 993 c4. 34k miles. Cab

Well, in the last couple months, the 993 has gotten new Bils, new Euro M030's, new alignment, new rear spoiler wall, detail and new Nittos.

I was taking it out yesterday for some, um fun, and I was just not impressed at all....which really surprises/worries me.

The car's steering just feels loose-I mean I am uncomfortable going over 65/70 on the backroads/S curves. For reference, I would hit these roads with my M3 at 80 with 0 feelings of insecurity.

This car has been driven by two other people, had a PPI and no issues were reported. I find it hard to believe a Porsche should act in this manner AND I don't recall my last one doing this.

So, my question: I am VERY used to driving my M3 at limit. Am I just too used to the newer technology/chassis design of the M3 OR is there something wrong?

I know it is hard to understand what I am saying BUT it is analogous to driving or feeling like you are driving a sport's car WITH a Cadillac Deville steering rack-if that makes sense at all ( : I NEED a tight feel and require it for my driving. I drive REALLY fast and agressive so, do you think I am just pushing limits?

I am going to let Mike in Louisville drive this again for another opinion BUT something just seems wrong.

What does YOUR car feel like?

To put a finer point on it, I about listed it for sale last night after that drive...that is how bad/dissapointed I felt.

Oh, and for the history, this car felt this way PRIOR to the tires/alignment. I assumed the issue would have been resolved.

Thanks all.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Front toe settings can really help the steering feel, or hurt it for that matter. Could you post your alignment settings?
Adding a strut brace on cabs can also help with steering feel.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Well, the alignment was done at the dealer so I can get them I guess.

Here is a better of saying what I mean:

the front end feels like it will not hold its line. It is NOT bump steer and it is NOT over/under steer. All of that is dead on. When i commit to a corner, and the forces act accordingly on the susopension/steering, the car feels great. It is going straight, turning in and turing out that feels odd and loose.

For example, I can be tracking down a straight away on a good road, the front end just wants to move left and right at the slightest road change. Feels like I am in an FJ40 with 35" mudders going down the freeway-if that is an analogy anyone can appreciate ( :

Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I wonder if the alignment is off. Another thing to consider is whether the inner tie rods are simply worn from age. My understanding is that these actually have rubber dampeners inside. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

I can appreciate the FJ40 analogy. But in an old FJ, that feeling is perfectly fine.

Andreas
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My understanding is that these actually have rubber dampeners inside. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
They do, and should be welded solid asap
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

I wonder if the alignment is off. Another thing to consider is whether the inner tie rods are simply worn from age. My understanding is that these actually have rubber dampeners inside. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

I can appreciate the FJ40 analogy. But in an old FJ, that feeling is perfectly fine.

Andreas
Worn bushings/tie rods would be the PERFECT answer. THAT kind of feel is what I am experiencing.

Yes, an FJ40 tracking that way is, um, challenging fun LOL!!! Good thing they max out at 65 ( :
Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

OK, just read about 100 posts about the tie rods and their correlated failures. Seems to be EXACTLY what I am feeling.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Is the solution simply to replace with factory parts, or is there a more robust replacement?

Here is the potential culprit:

Andreas
Old 03-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
Hi all.

1995 993 c4. 34k miles. Cab

Well, in the last couple months, the 993 has gotten new Bils, new Euro M030's, new alignment, new rear spoiler wall, detail and new Nittos.

I was taking it out yesterday for some, um fun, and I was just not impressed at all....which really surprises/worries me.

The car's steering just feels loose-I mean I am uncomfortable going over 65/70 on the backroads/S curves. For reference, I would hit these roads with my M3 at 80 with 0 feelings of insecurity.

This car has been driven by two other people, had a PPI and no issues were reported. I find it hard to believe a Porsche should act in this manner AND I don't recall my last one doing this.

So, my question: I am VERY used to driving my M3 at limit. Am I just too used to the newer technology/chassis design of the M3 OR is there something wrong?

I know it is hard to understand what I am saying BUT it is analogous to driving or feeling like you are driving a sport's car WITH a Cadillac Deville steering rack-if that makes sense at all ( : I NEED a tight feel and require it for my driving. I drive REALLY fast and agressive so, do you think I am just pushing limits?

I am going to let Mike in Louisville drive this again for another opinion BUT something just seems wrong.

What does YOUR car feel like?

To put a finer point on it, I about listed it for sale last night after that drive...that is how bad/dissapointed I felt.

Oh, and for the history, this car felt this way PRIOR to the tires/alignment. I assumed the issue would have been resolved.

Thanks all.
Is your car in town? If so give me a buzz and we can compare 993's. I bet it is an alignment issue.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM
rkass
Racer

in addition to above, make sure power steering fluid level ok
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Hi Greg. I will have it tomorrow.

Here is the spec sheet:

Front Camber -2.0
Front Caster 4.8
Front Toe .04

Rear Camber -1.6
Rear Toe .17
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Toe settings look within range. Tie rods sound like a place to check out. RS ones would be a nice upgrade if you need to switch them out.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Andreas
LOL. Having had an FJ40 myself, that feeling is part of it's *character*. In a 993 that would be far less than idea. Sadly I know of which you speak. My 993 feels much the same way and I don't know why. I do know that it really became noticable when I installed the 19" wheels. I'm about to do the shocks/struts and install that steering brace, then get it cornerweighted. I'm sure that will help but I sense that I have some worn parts in the steering.

Is it easy to check the inner tie-rods for wear while doing the rest of the work or is it something you just have to replace if you think it might be them (i.e. testing end-play is not feasible in a DIY situation).
Old 03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

ALL, according to the dealer spc sheet, show to be in range.

Want to switch tomorrow? We could meet for breakfast and then meet up for lunch. Issue is that we would both have to drive our cars pretty hard-I am OK with that. Harrodsburg RD toward Shaker Village would be ideal for a short run.

What do you think?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tires pressures are you running??

Quick Reply: Steering feel...not real happy