Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it my shaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM
P7269
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my shaft

Question, I've done the search and looked at p-car. I am having an issue with my driver's side power seat. The question is, if only one seat rail is binding on my seat is it the shaft or is it likely something stuck in the rail causing the binding. I am unable to position my seat forward enough to get to the rear allen heads to remove the seat to look. Can anyone help?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
vaughan 88 911
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is it your shaft?

Actually, there might be a COIN stuck in the railing causing limited forward/bacward seat movement.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:36 PM
P7269
Advanced

Any suggestions on how to check without removing the seat would be appreciated...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a hair comb stuck in mine, popped it out, and viola', the seat started working normal again!

ZP44
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Here's a quick suggestion. Undue the clamp that keeps the cable attached to the motor on the rail that is stuck. Then use a pair of pliers to turn the cable (it has a square end). This will likely free the rail that is stuck (at least it did on mine).

Make sure the clamp fully seats around the cable hold-down when you reconnect, or the cable can pop out.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the seat now moving both forward and back under power - but with limited forward travel? Also, is the available forward movement smooth and easy .... or somewhat labored?
What sometimes happens is that the seat is 'cockeyed' within its rails ... ie., one cable is a turn or so more advanced than the other side: the trick is to detach both cables from the motor at front, and turn whichever one that 'squares' the seat within the rails. The cable ends are 4mm square ... and very easily damaged.
If you go that route, pull the cables from their sheathes to see that both ends are in good shape and well lubed: also, raise the seat bottom as high as it will go - this seems to help the fore-aft travel, and makes it far easier to twist underneath for a look at the works.
Yes ... I had a screwed up seat ... and ended up with two fubared drive cables ... more than I ever wanted to know about seat mechanisms ...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:39 AM
deltawedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Garth S
Yes ... I had a screwed up seat ... and ended up with two fubared drive cables ... more than I ever wanted to know about seat mechanisms ...

Good point. I was either lucky or good so I didn't encounter this, but it is a concern.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 AM
P7269
Advanced

Thanks for help . I will mess with it tonight when I get home. Ill keep you posted.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:22 AM
P7269
Advanced

Default Fixed it!!!!

Fixed it!!!! Deltawedge your advise payed of....When I removed the clamp the holds the cable I found that the cable would spin freely. The opposite side would not. I removed the cable and checked both ends to make certain they werent stripped or damaged. They looked fine so I reinstalled them and presto everything works as should. I think the portion that installs under the seat was out of its socket.

Garth I made sure the rails were equal on both sides to avoid the binding issue you asked about.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 09:16 AM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread topic

Anyway, Glad to see that you fixed it.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
danpugh
Advanced

Default Same mechanisms/solutions for a power passenger seat?

Not to hijack the thread (which seemed mostly done), but do these same mechanisms apply to a power passenger seat? I had my car in the shop for a while and it came back with the passenger seat unable to move forward or back -- it still goes up, down, etc... I'll check the things that were suggested here for the driver's seat, but wondered whether anything is different on the other side.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Same type mechanics on the pass side.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Originally Posted by danpugh
Not to hijack the thread (which seemed mostly done), but do these same mechanisms apply to a power passenger seat? I had my car in the shop for a while and it came back with the passenger seat unable to move forward or back -- it still goes up, down, etc... I'll check the things that were suggested here for the driver's seat, but wondered whether anything is different on the other side.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

My post was referring to the power seats.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Originally Posted by P7269
Fixed it!!!! Deltawedge your advise payed of....When I removed the clamp the holds the cable I found that the cable would spin freely. The opposite side would not. I removed the cable and checked both ends to make certain they werent stripped or damaged. They looked fine so I reinstalled them and presto everything works as should. I think the portion that installs under the seat was out of its socket.

Garth I made sure the rails were equal on both sides to avoid the binding issue you asked about.

Thanks

I'll drink to that! Isn't it great when it is the simple fix that does it?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P7269
Is it my shaft ?
Isn't that something you should be asking the wife?

Last edited by CN; 03-07-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Is it my shaft