Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sebring GT2 ... What a finish!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sebring GT2 ... What a finish!

The F430 made it look a little like NASCAR but I can't say that any of us would have done any different given the circumstances ...
Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Yep...As we say down here in the Deep South, "Gud hard racin'..." One of the most exciting finishes I've seen in years in any type of racing.

And hey, you've got to hand it to Acura. Six months from "We're goin' racin' " to P2 Class win. Pretty remarkable.

I'll always root for Porsche, but this type of competition is great for the series. Let's hope the remainder of the season is just as exciting.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:56 PM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 glad I tivo'd it.just like nascar!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:38 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see this sort of competition between the SF and the P. One of the most exciting finishes ever.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Brave Heart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99three
Good to see this sort of competition between the SF and the P. One of the most exciting finishes ever.
+1 Exciting !! -- Great images at sunset also !
Old 03-18-2007, 01:30 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
The F430 made it look a little like NASCAR but I can't say that any of us would have done any different given the circumstances ...
I don't know about that...running a guy into the wall doesn't seem too sporting but that was the most exciting last lap in endurance racing I've ever seen. Too bad the Porsche driver couldn't hold on after an incredible pass on the last lap.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

That was a fantastic finish and I've got to hand it to the Ferrari driver. After that pass by the Porsche, maybe the P-car driver should have been a little more aggressive. Hell, if I didn't have to pay for the body work, I wouldn't care about roughing him up.
I'm going to watch F1 now that I tivo-ed last night.

I've got a question for you track drivers, that I've never heard addressed on TV in all the years I've been watching. Since racing is usually the birthplace of passenger car technology, and I assume ABS brakes came from racing originally, why don't race cars use it if it's superior?

Last edited by l.stroup; 03-18-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Berg got robbed! My competitive side would have probably punted the F-car back after being bumped into the crap up against the wall! If Berg hadn't gotten into the trash, he would have gotten squirrelly and may have stayed out front. That little "lift" lost it for him.

Oh well, great ending
Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at a big party and it took two of us an hour of prodding to get the homeowner to change from the basketball game. The rest of the guests weren't happy. Caught the last two minutes!

I can't find it on Youtube yet - somebody post if you see it out there. It's worth watching again.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

What an amazing ending. One of the best race endings in the last decade. Too bad the ferrari didn't do it more cleanly; it was a win, but a really dirty one.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:15 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

That was a cheap move by Melo. Earlier in the lap he put Jorg into the wall and then did it again after he messed up going into the last corner. Nothing but a cheap cheap move by Melo.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:51 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey

Absolutely I would have done it differently...hard to be around fellow drivers when they drive like that. It is a club and Melo might not be in that club any longer.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:37 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok. I intentially avoided this topic until I got a chance to watch the finish since I didn't get to watch it last night. Holy CRAP! My heart was pumping and my hands were shaking - and I'm just an observer. What a freakin' finish!

IMO, Bergmeister was robbed. He outraced the Melo the entire last lap and made his pass cleanly when he could've done the same thing to Melo numerous times. For Melo to come at him on the last few corners that hard was just unsportsmanlike and in the interviews after the race you could tell the whole Ferrari team knew it, too.

Exciting? Hell yeah, it is. But it was exciting even without the rubbing - and I hate to see the guy who deserve the win not get it, regardless of my admitted Porsche bias.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

l.stroup,

Reference your question regarding anti-lock brakes and racing. I believe that the first application of anti-lock brakes in road racing was at Daytona and/or Sebring in 1974. Hurley Heywood and Peter Gregg ran a BMW 3.0 CSL that year an it was touted as the latest and greatest with anti-lock brake technology.

If I remember correctly, neither Gregg nor Heywood liked the brakes because (1) the lack of feel was "unnerving" and (2) they couldn't lock the rear brakes and slide the car. There was also the issue of reliability, or the lack thereof.

I may be wrong but I think that anti-lock brakes in racing were finally written out by the rule makers when there was so much concern about technology, and not human beings, controlling the cars.

Okay...That's my take from 35 years ago. Corrections are invited and welcomed.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

GT2 finish was incredible! The Ferrari looked very strong, I must admit, it will be a great season. Our beloved company did not have a very good showing for the start of 2007 with no wins in the category. The RS Spyder did not win LMP2 and the GT3 lost in GT2. We need our guys to pull it together!

Quick Reply: Sebring GT2 ... What a finish!