Sponsored by: DashLynx

collapsed lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:53 PM
only993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default collapsed lifters

Other then then the distinct ticking sound that a collased lifter makes what other issues can relate? Is there any performance issuses? Could engine damage result? is oil consumption increased? I guess what i am looking for is what ill effects they will have on an engine?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Our 993s even new makes a fairly loud ticking sound from the valvetrain. Just the nature of the beast. When you have a collapsed lifter the noise is so loud that you would think you had a bad crank shaft bearing.

You will definitely suffering performance decreases and should get it repaired as soon as possible. The hydraulic lifters is designed so that even if it is collapsed it will not damage the engine. But I certainly wouldn't hot rod the car when that happens.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 AM
deltawedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a note, when I replaced the exhaust lifters (both sides), they made an aweful racket for a few mintues of running (soaked them in oil overnight). Idle speed didn't fix it, so I drove around the block. Eventually they quieted down, but it is not a sound that you could miss. A colapsed lifter(s) will have the same sonic signature.

Quick Reply: collapsed lifters