Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo options advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo options advise needed

u guys are usually very helpfull so I will run this by you before I make a decision. I want to upgrade me stereo. I dont want to set off the alarms, or compete. I want it to look as stock as possible and I dont want to cut anything up.

I passed my an audio shop for a quote. This guy has a goos rep. and has done many pcars, so I feel comfortable letting him do the install.

Here is what he recommends:

Alpine CDA-9883 head unit:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9883

Alpine MRP F-250 Amp:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=MRP-F250

Rear: Clarion Pro SRC4696 4x6:
http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/product...0603365318.htm

Front: Clarion Pro SRS 1686 6":
http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/product...603365283.html

origoanlly he wanted to use JL Audios, but they dont make a 4x6 for the rear, and he doesnt wanna butcher my rear deck.

what do you guys thin, will this give me quality sound without breaking the bank?

TIAA
sam
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, even the Alpine looks too bling in the 993. I stuck w/ the Becker CDR-210 and am very happy.

If you want more info do a search, there have been several VERY informative threads on them. (search Becker CDR)
Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree Alpine is pretty bling for the interior if you want to be conservative. Nakamichi makes a clean looking deck and so does Pioneer on the mid range models. For speakers I am now a huge FOCAL fan.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Nakamichi. Very clean/stock looking.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get those speakers tell us how they sound. My bro had Clarions in his car and was never very happy with them, but maybe his were cheap. I get a bad vibe just reading their website schlock - I've never seen a speaker manufacturer boast of frequency response to 120kHz. I think you could open an AM radio station at that frequency! Bats will be bouncing off of your car.

There are some other nice 4x6s out there. Boston Acoustics makes at least one. Pioneer makes at least a couple - their TS-P462 is very nice, sounds good for a 4x6 - but I wonder how long they last because I think they use foam surrounds instead of butyl or some other hardy substance. Lots of rays coming through that back window.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

I'd be very interested to see what you choose and how the install goes.
I have an older Alpine unit that needs replacing to something ipod compatible.

Cheers

Phil
'95 993 Coupe
(Stock)
Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Both Polk and Infinity make some very nice (and reasonable) 4x6 plate speakers. Check out Crutchfield. I have Polks, but I know several on the forum who have gone with Infinity. Plug & play, no cutting required, can use the factory speaker grilles.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 AM
PG993
Instructor

Sam.

It looks like you're after a stock appearance so I would reconsider the head unit. Alpine units are nice but I find them to be a tad flashy sitting in the dash. I think something like a nakamichi is a better match visually for the 993 dash, if you're going for a stock look. I personally chose a Clarion DRZ 9255 which is also a very simple looking unit with excellent performance.

I also don't recomend rear fill speakers at all. I dont think they add anything to the audio experience for a middle of the raod setup and probably make things worse for sound staging. A simple 2 way speaker system set up as you chose is very nice. I dont know much about the clarion speakers but the 6.5 polykevlar focals work really nice in this car.

The amp is probably the most important item to consider. I would suggest 50% of your budget on the amp. You would be surpised how nice even the garbage stock nokia speakers (with hifi option) sound with a clean Audisson amp.

If you travel to TO you're welcome to come by for a listen.

Paul
Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

You would be so glad if you went with nakamichi . I know went I shop for a head unit I just couldn`t pull the trigger every time I saw one that was nice because it just wouldn`t of look right in the dash until I came across the Nakamichi . I bought it right on the spot . It looks so OEM and the sound n quality is second to none . I am a very happy camper with it .

Cheers Guy
Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

breifescape, what Nak did you buy? Do you use an amp and what kind of speakers do you have?

thanks.
Dave
Old 04-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

A couple of things: everyone's bank is a bit different. so it is difficult for someone else to comment on what will or won't break your bank. Realistically though, set your budget and talk to a couple of different stereo shops, a good shop will give you advice on what your options are. They will have their favorites as well. Some shops will carry different brands also.

for Headunits, it is difficult to beat Alpine, they have great quality and good functions, although you will pay a little more on average for an Alpine unit versus say a Sony. Personally, I look for features that I want in a Headunit. An Ipod interface is important to me, and right now, I think Alpine has the best Ipod interface.

Speakers are purely an individual choice, some people like brighter highs, more bass, more mid range etc... your choice of speakers will depend on what sounds good TO YOU, and what kind of music you listen to. Furthermore, speakers will sound different in the store than they will in your car. Hopefully a good shop can set up the system to your car, headunit and amplifier configuration so it sounds better than it would have in the store display.

I had some Clarion Pro Audio speakers in the rear of my last 911, with Boston Acoustic Pro speakers in the doors. I honestly had no problem with the Clarions, though as rear speakers, mostly they were just for fill. I loved my BA Pros up front though. I had them powered by a PPI 4x50 watt amp. with a JL audio 8 inch sub.

Focal makes very nice speakers, and a lot of Rennlister have them. For the same or slightly less $$$, I like the Hertz speakers, nice punchy tight mid bass, and smooth highs. Not to many shops carry them, although Rod Birch, Caraudioinnovations.com carries them, as well as does LOTS of Porsche installs. He does favor the Focals as well.

Listen to different speakers and see what you like. Bring your favorite CD or Ipod to the shop and listen to different combinations, you will start to hear differences and identify speakers that you prefer over others.

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

I have a Nakamichi but was just about to buy the Alpine 9883 you are considering. I wanted to have Sirius Satellite radio and am totally sick of our stinko FM radio in the Wash DC area. I contacted an audio place, set up an appt, drove my car all day the other day, and decided at the end of the day that I don't need satellite radio and the $600 some cost it required. I realized that I mostly listen to talk radio in my 993 and talk on my cell phone for work, so decided to leave the Nakamichi in there and just put the Satellite radio in my BMW, our road trip car, instead.

Good luck. The Nak is mostly black and looks great in dash. If I had the dough though, I would get the Macintosh in a heartbeat instead. To me, this is pure bliss:

MX406
AM/FM/CD Control Center

Changer Control Center

Dual 20-Bit Digital-to-Analog Converters

Rotary Volume Control

Analog Bass and Treble Controls

Fiber Optic Input for CD Changer

4-Volt Line Level Output (4-Channels)

2-Channel RCA Aux Input

Blue Display w/Traditional McIntosh Glass Styling

Quick Facts
Sporting the classic glass faceplate so familiar to McIntosh lovers, the MX406 brings a new standard of performance to the car audio arena. The MX406 is a reference control center, providing the traditional volume and balance functions, as well as full changer controls and a large Blue Fluorescent Information Panel. Mounted in a car's dashboard, the MX406 brings the instant look of class, as well as familiar touches like the rotary volume control and analog bass and treble controls.

Behind the familiar faceplate lies something unfamiliar, a stand-alone Digital Converter, featuring Dual 20-bit D/As. A fiber-optic digital input feeds these marvelous converters the data as it streams from any connected McIntosh CD changer mechanisms. The fiber optic path is completely impervious to the magnetic fields and electrical currents that float around your car and its chassis. There's also an auxiliary RCA analog input, for signal from more conventional sources.

Once the powerful D/A section has done its work, the newly converted output is sent to your amplifiers. The MX406 has 4 line-level outputs, each using a powerful 4-volt carrier to preserve the musical nuances and to provide superior resistance to RF interference and other environmental evils.

The McIntosh MX406 has it all.. The beautiful face provides a highly readable display with the convenience and familiarity of rotary controls. The on-board digital section has superior conversion, can be fed by an optical connection to a changer, and delivers its 4 outputs to the amps on a 4-volt carrier. Step up to McIntosh and let the MX406 class up your dash and class up your music.

Steve R
Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
A couple of things: everyone's bank is a bit different. so it is difficult for someone else to comment on what will or won't break your bank. Realistically though, set your budget and talk to a couple of different stereo shops, a good shop will give you advice on what your options are. They will have their favorites as well. Some shops will carry different brands also.

for Headunits, it is difficult to beat Alpine, they have great quality and good functions, although you will pay a little more on average for an Alpine unit versus say a Sony. Personally, I look for features that I want in a Headunit. An Ipod interface is important to me, and right now, I think Alpine has the best Ipod interface.

Speakers are purely an individual choice, some people like brighter highs, more bass, more mid range etc... your choice of speakers will depend on what sounds good TO YOU, and what kind of music you listen to. Furthermore, speakers will sound different in the store than they will in your car. Hopefully a good shop can set up the system to your car, headunit and amplifier configuration so it sounds better than it would have in the store display.

I had some Clarion Pro Audio speakers in the rear of my last 911, with Boston Acoustic Pro speakers in the doors. I honestly had no problem with the Clarions, though as rear speakers, mostly they were just for fill. I loved my BA Pros up front though. I had them powered by a PPI 4x50 watt amp. with a JL audio 8 inch sub.

Focal makes very nice speakers, and a lot of Rennlister have them. For the same or slightly less $$$, I like the Hertz speakers, nice punchy tight mid bass, and smooth highs. Not to many shops carry them, although Rod Birch, Caraudioinnovations.com carries them, as well as does LOTS of Porsche installs. He does favor the Focals as well.

Listen to different speakers and see what you like. Bring your favorite CD or Ipod to the shop and listen to different combinations, you will start to hear differences and identify speakers that you prefer over others.

Cheers!
Totally agree with you. Nakamichi is nice but expensive. Do they have good ipod interfaces?

Focals are nice too but also very expensive. What are some good, next step down type speakes? I know the obvious choices like polk and boston acoustic. Are there any others? I am thinking of switching to Alpine as well. I agree, they are a bit blingy but are good bang for the buck and have great ipod interface. As for flashy/blingy, that is totally up to you to decide. At the end of the day, I don't want to spend big bucks on a cab with big wind noise and a loud exhaust. Just decent sound and ipod capabilities.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:21 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black ice
breifescape, what Nak did you buy? Do you use an amp and what kind of speakers do you have?

thanks.
Dave
have 700 Nak . And the rest is stock for now till I finish the rest of the interior .
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

The Alpine 9883 has a great IPOD interface. It also has bluetooth if you get the KCA 300BT interface. The ambient noise in a 993 is such that you can't appreciate the finer points of a high end setup. I don't find the Alpine units at all flashy. The stock setup lasted in my car about 1 week.

Quick Reply: Stereo options advise needed