Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nakamishi vs Alpine vs CDR220 vs others

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nakamishi vs Alpine vs CDR220 vs others

well I actually went to listen to a Nak cd400 today and frankly found it too flat for my taste. The alpine sounded a lot more alive. Not better or worse, just suited my tatse more....however the problem of estetic bling is still there.....does anyone know how the cdr220 sounds in comparison to the nak and the alpine, and others with all things the same.....4 good speakers, an amp, and maybe a sub?

I guess the type of music one listens to will effect the choice. I for one listen to a lot of hip hop, rap, etc....I know its not as sophisticated as jazz, but at least I havent installed hydrolics on the pcar YET
Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering the same head units as you. Had a CDR-220, but found the iPod interface too basic. I went with an Alpine head, which has a fantastic iPod interface and much cleaner sound than my CDR-220. I put a set of Focal K2's in the door. Sounds fantastic.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:19 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Alpine head ... audobon amp ... Focal K2s and tweeters ... a bit bling but worth it for the sound :-)
Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 AM
BrokenE
Instructor

I have never heard or even seen a Becker head installed, but I'm sure some RL has.

I have an alpine head unit and although I do like the sound, the brightness you refer to is most likely artifically built in. In other words, you may be able to achive the same "more alive" sound with an equalizer like this http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16342. If you're gonna install an amp and sub, then should be too much problem to mount the EQ somewhere near the amp. Something to consider.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:42 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

From previous posts I think the general consensus is that Beckers (CDR210, CDR220 or TrafficPro) would not be the first choice if you are looking for best quality sound. They are probably the best choice if you are looking for an OEM look or for decent value since you can get them easily used (CDR210/220) or a good price when on sale (TP)
Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ambient noise in a 993 is such that it will be difficult to appreciate the finer points of a high end system, except when the car is in the garage and not running. IMO the most important upgrade is amp and speakers. As far as head units, the new Alpine units have a good IPOD interface, bluetooth capabilities, and extra aux inputs available. I have the Alpine 9856 w/IPOD cable, KCA 100BT (Bluetooth), and KCA 410C (aux input adaptor). I still have the OEM front speakers (hi fi option), 2 Pioneer amps (1-speakers, 1-subs), 2 subs in the back seats. I have had various 4" speakers in the back side panels (I have a cab) and have yet to find any that make a difference. If you do go Alpine, make sure that you get a 2007 model (988x). If you want to add bluetooth, the '07 unit is the 300BT. The advantages in the '07 units are: Better IPOD search function, better bluetooth interface - caller id etc now appears on the headunit display. If you want to research the Alpine units and available accessories, Crutchfield (Crutchfield.com) has better and more complete information available than the Alpine website.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

You can't go wrong with an Eclipse head unit. Looks nice and has a lot of features for the price and performance.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sometimes listen to rap and hip hop. Usually just 'til the light turns green.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:08 PM
uncle buck
Instructor

The P/O of my car had installed an Alpine and I do not care for the bling but it sounds pretty good with the stock hifi sound. The ipod interface and remote are pretty nice as well..
Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just had an Alpine iDA-X001 and new speakers installed. It looks great, the iPod interface is the nearly as good as the iPod itself, and the bluetooth works great (it automatically downloads the addressbook from the phone!). The iPod and bluetooth integration is much better than a past Alpine 98xx unit. The head unit is also a lot less bling than the 98xx style units and the blue keys blend well with the blue interior of the car.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

I put the Nak in my car and thought the sound really did not improve over the becker. I didnt replace speakers or add a amp. The subdued look was why I chose it. There is a guy in CA that specializes in 911's, I think his name is Rod Birch and he said if mine was hooked up correctly it should make a noticeable difference. I think he may be right because my installer has screwed up my Lexus so bad that I would trust my 7 year old to do a better job. I have had the truck back to shop over 10 times The sad part is the guy who owns the shop tracks a 911.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default nak 400 or 500 cd

the nakamichi is a good quality unit. but to appreciate it you need an amp to compliment its detail playback. mcintosh or an older a/d/s amp and some focal speakers and you will hear and feel the music. if you have the extra money go for the mcintosh, and if not a used old school a/d/s of ebay will do nicely. either way you cannot go wrong
Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Weissach
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom W
I just had an Alpine iDA-X001 and new speakers installed. It looks great, the iPod interface is the nearly as good as the iPod itself, and the bluetooth works great (it automatically downloads the addressbook from the phone!). The iPod and bluetooth integration is much better than a past Alpine 98xx unit. The head unit is also a lot less bling than the 98xx style units and the blue keys blend well with the blue interior of the car.
Is that the new Alpine with USB?? Any pics??
Old 04-21-2007, 12:01 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using a fifth gen. IPOD? Mine is 4th gen (I think). I'm considering the IDA now since I read your post. The new bluetooth interface (300BT) will work with any of the 988x units as well as the IDA. The IPOD interface on my 9856 is tedious with a 20 gig IPOD. I can search from the beginning or the end, slowly. The 988x units do have better search capabilities for the IPOD, but the IDA looks like the best IPOD interface. I'm wondering if my 4th gen IPOD will be able to fully take advantage of the capabilities of the IDA.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:37 AM
993Dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by Weissach
Is that the new Alpine with USB?? Any pics??

Quick Reply: Nakamishi vs Alpine vs CDR220 vs others