Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Have you ever been tempted to sell your 993 and your older daily driver for .........

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a great deal on one here in San Diego (AMG 2004 S55). A guy that works for me has had it three years and it's been in the shop 304 days!!! Oh, he bought it new off the show room! You think you have problems with your 993 ,oh brother.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ray
You can get a great deal on one here in San Diego (AMG 2004 S55). A guy that works for me has had it three years and it's been in the shop 304 days!!! Oh, he bought it new off the show room! You think you have problems with your 993 ,oh brother.
You gotta be kidding me... they're that bad? Crap... I don't think an S55 is going to be a great replacement for these 2 cars then!

Back to the drawing board...

Steve R
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's amazing what kind of response this thread has received. I guess it hits pretty close to home for many of us.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:30 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

The car just went off warranty, hence he's returning it to the dealership. I can't even list all the stuff that has gone wrong (because I've had to listen to the heartache), but, at least he's smiling again.

Oh, and from an AMG S55 to Prius.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Look at swapalease.com or leasetrader.com, sell your 01 740, get a nice E class or 5 series BMW with a $800 a month payment (funded with the money you get from the 740 and get the 993 fixed correctly.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Assuming the 740i has a clean title, and she's got a brand new RL....I'd sell the Bimmer, take the proceeds and head down the slope on the 993.

Read a write up (911 & Porsche World) a few years back on a UK member who was thinking of getting rid of his, but like a home buyer who can't find exactly what he wanted, he decided to keep what he has and just upgrade it.

And how can you get rid of her after that herculean effort with the shifter and boot??? Best wishes.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
And how can you get rid of her after that herculean effort with the shifter and boot???
I think Steve and I worked on that damn thing three times, trying all sorts of tricks to eliminate the noise. My final thought was that the heavier MY02 shifter allowed existing driveline vibrations to amplify worn bushings, etc. in the shifter linkage. So the noise may not have come from the shifter-handle contact after all.

It's still a nice shifter, regardless...

Andreas
Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve how come when there is a 17 page thread on which car to buy your'e involved (see Cayenne board) Where is Larry? Ltc?

Just kidding-I just bought a 335i twin turbo and already we have fuel pump issues and need an aux oil cooler.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 AM
993Dude
Advanced

I would go for the MB only if you get it covered with a warranty. Forget rust, etc, the issue is that it the newer model MS's are packed with electronics that can fail and are extremely expensive to fix. Having said that, my 1993 MB is an amazing vehicle and quite frankly blows away from 993 on a number of fronts including comfort, versatility, power, etc. Don't get me wrong - I love my 993, but I've been an MB driver for over a decade and a 993 driver for less than a year. Old habits die hard. Bottom line - go with your gut.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:21 AM
DTP993
AutoX

Definitely keep the 993, sell the BMW. The depreciation of the S55 will outpace most repairs on the 993 during the same period of time. My DD is a 01 Saab Viggen...cheap, very fast, and way more fun than the 3,5, and 7 series BMR's I was always trying to keep up with on the electrical/cooling maladies. My 97 NB coupe has more character than any newer MB or BMW will every have.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound like a man whose ready to change a few cars around. I've done that many times in my life, probably will continue to, too.

You'll always miss having a porsche...I've learned. These cars ARE life-long passions/(addictions?), but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy change. The Benz is an itch, scratch it.

You will have another Porsche sometime...count on it.
You will miss your 993...count on it.

None of this means you shouldn't do it. (997's maybe very affordable by the time you have to have another Porsche?...and you will) Or another 993!

Good luck...
Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by max911
i just used the "search" function; entering your user name and "wife" as the keyword.
150 hits - (which i think may be a pre set limit)

just jerking your chain. LOL

(and I know you must have a chain!)
Having been reading these posts for four years or so, that's funny.

Steve, I don't know if you remember me, but I drove you back to your hotel the night before you picked up your C4S. (Eric picked you up at O'Hare, a bunch of us Chicago Rennlisters met for dinner with you at a local racer bar and grill)

On that ride to your hotel you were talking about your wife not being sure about your purchase.

Steve, I'm beginning to think she is a negative influence in your life.

(BTW one of my friends, a Rennlister, had one of those Benzes. Sold it a year or so after he got it. Said it was boring once you got used to the hp)

Last edited by Mike in Chi; 06-03-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:55 AM
deep_purple
Instructor

Looks like some decisions are bound to come back, one way or another : )

Is there 1 car that combines a 911 with a 740i BMW?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:41 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_purple
Looks like some decisions are bound to come back, one way or another : )

Is there 1 car that combines a 911 with a 740i BMW?

His post was 5 years ago and people were telling him to get rid of the wife back then too.

Sorry dude....PARTNERS work things out together. By your own words she is TELLING you what to do. That type of info will illicit specific responses here. Please take no offense and understand why that is. We are obvious loyal to you and not to the woman messing with your cars. Good luck with that.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:45 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Steve- I think most everyone else has give you some good advice, but I'll throw mine in as well.

First of all, I couldn't imagine this board without you on it. You have been a Rennlister for as long as I have owned my car (three and a half years) and have been a wonderful contributor to this board. Your wife has also been busting your ***** about your 993 since before I even bought my car! Thanks to her, I have been setting aside about $300/mo. in what I like to call the "Porsche Repair Fund" since the day I bought the car so I can keep the peace at home. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it and have a lot of money in there at the moment, but know I'm just a major repair away from losing it all. That doesn't worry me at all as it is the only way for both me and my wife to have peace of mind about the car.

I think in the end, you would have major regrets once you sold your 993. While some of us here just post occassionally (like myself), others such as yourself really help make this place a true community. I think selling your car will result in a loss for you much deeper than an empty slot in the driveway.

That said, I think others have given you the best advice. Sell the BMW and get something like a Civic to drive every day. You'll save in gas, insurance and repairs, and the car will continue to be super reliable even with 100K on the clock. It may not have the same status as the BMW, but it will give both you and the wife financial peace of mind.

Otherwise, you can always sell your Rolex and use it to fund future 993 repairs! That is probably not an option, but might be a good way to free up some money.

In the end, I think the Benz would be a bad idea. As others have pointed out, that car will soon be old and subject to the same repairs you are facing now. Worse, that car has tons of incredibly complex systems that other don't that will only add to the repair costs.

Best of luck with your decision...just wanted to throw in my $.02.

Quick Reply: Have you ever been tempted to sell your 993 and your older daily driver for .........