Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Searing Images and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM
rdurff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides Rennlist and Excellence, what are other sources for realistic resale values? KBB and Edmunds fall short of market value, IMO.
I would recommend the Porsche Club publications. For the small yearly membership fee, you'll get access to Panorama and the local Seattle publication, the Spiel. The national one especially always has lots of 993s listed. You can rely on the majority of Porsche Club members, like Rennlist members, to take exceedingly good care of their cars - and ask top (fair) dollar for them. The advantage over Rennlist is that the asking prices are published in print, so you can send them to your insurance company.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:09 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Well, seems the way this is panning out is as previously stated. I file with my insurance, my insurance, St. Farm goes through subrogation to recoup their loses through the other party.

This was a choice made by me, I could have chosen to go strictly through the girls carrier, but knowing this gal's policy is being tapped by me and two other involved claimants and may exceed its limits, it really is a relief.

Another detail, as this is a fire, damage, theft incident, my uninsured motorist protection does not apply, as that is only applicable to a comprehensive claim. (Devil's in the details)

I think at this point I'll file a DV claim with both my insurer and Farmer's. I spoke with the Farmer's agent and he did mention that I should receive reimbursement for the rental.

I know some have made comments that my insurer should be doing the leg work on this. I agree, in theory, at least. But when it gets down to it, I think the greater my level of involvement, the more aware I am of how this is playing out, and the more likely I'll be able to shape its outcome.

BTW... purdy wheels!
Hey Kelly;
Still very happy with the wheels, they are holding up nicely.The front right one must have flame retardant on it as its unblemished from the inferno.

I would recommend the Porsche Club publications. For the small yearly membership fee, you'll get access to Panorama and the local Seattle publication, the Spiel. The national one especially always has lots of 993s listed. You can rely on the majority of Porsche Club members, like Rennlist members, to take exceedingly good care of their cars - and ask top (fair) dollar for them. The advantage over Rennlist is that the asking prices are published in print, so you can send them to your insurance company.
Thanks for jogging my memory Rdurff, I am a member, get Pano and Spiel, so will utilize that resource.

Will keep all posted as the saga continues.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Jeff,
Sorry to hear what had happened to your car!! That really SUCKS!
Hear is what I would do...(sorry if this is a repeat)

1)Get a lawyer-preferable with one that specialize in auto insurance/accident cases.
2)I'd sue that litlle B@#$%$(who knows, maybe she has that Sugar daddy/pimp or something?) plus her winnie insurance company.
3)Also, sue KIA for consequential damages...
Now, knowing the fact that your own insurance should cover the rest of bills. That's why we are paying extra for that uninsured/underinsured policy.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

So sorry. Amazing pictures.

At least you had the sun shade in the windshield!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by f8vr993
2)I'd sue that litlle B@#$%$(who knows, maybe she has that Sugar daddy/pimp or something?)
I don't get it...All she did wrong was own a car that caught fire while she was at work. And she obviously didn't have the means to purchase a high-limit insurance policy. Why is she the recipient of name-calling?

We all sympathize with Jeff over his predicament, but the girl who owned the Kia is also deserving of some empathy IMHO.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, it sucks that your car got damaged. Oh I feel for you, but the girl didn't intentionally do it. It was an accident. Plus, I don't know what the rules are in your state, but if she was in compliance, then what could she do?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I also agree with Matt Davies about the owner of the KIA. I doubt she does the work/repairs on that car. I really think I would check online to see if other KIAs (Killed In Action ??) are bursting into flames, and if so, it could be that a good lawyer could go after KIA for manufacturing such a car. Going after the deep pockets is common lawyer paractice I hear. BUT I'm not a lawyer, & don't know if it would be worth it. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to go to a friendly dealer or bodyshop and ask for your regional edition of the black book "Cars of Particular Interest." That will give you a good favorable number. Then take that number and search the high-end dealers -- RPM, Holt, Truspeed, -- for cars that match yours with similiar mileage -- and online listings -- cars.com, autotrader.com, Rennlist and PCA classified -- and include those listings, too. (Discard lower prices, obviously.) Make a nice little case for yourself.

When my 95 C2 with 24k miles was totalled, the insurance company used the NADA value of $29,500 for compensation. I got the Black Book CPI value, backed it up with a dozen online classifieds from the above sources, and their second offer was the Black Book value -- $41,500.

Let the insurance company duke it out with everyone else, but if they total the car, or you need a case for diminished value, that number will be your best friend.

Good luck ...
Old 06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Just to clarify, I'm not out for blood. I agree, but can't verify, that this gal's coverage is likely a reflection of her income. I'm already questioning my karma having this happen to my car as it is. Imagine if I were to sue or garnish her wages. I have this vision of a Kia self igniting in my driveway and my house burning down. Facetious, but you get the point.

Anyhow, the black book idea is excellent, hopefully my body shop guy has one of these and I can start building my case.

Thanks for the continuing comments......

Jeff
Old 06-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Jeff;
I hope it all turns out all right.
It's a small world, one of your pics was posted on an Aviation board I frequent:
http://forums.propilotworld.com/show...4028#post94028
If you are a commercial pilot cert or higher you can register and read it.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
jnor10
Instructor

It's a small world, one of your pics was posted on an Aviation board I frequent:
Great Catch; one of my flying bud's sent me the flaming pic's from that site. Still don't know who took it. Looks like $10 to find out as it appears your restricted to some posts without a full membership.

After this experience and a new paint, I'm looking for a car more suitable for the employee parking lot.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbelievable, hope it all works out. I'm glad you still have some sense of humor left.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Unbelievable, hope it all works out. I'm glad you still have some sense of humor left.
yeah, I'm healthy, my families well........Humor may even be a better medicine beer.......hmmmm, I might have to think some more about that one.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jeff,

Sorry for the unfortunate incident. I don't think the Kia owner is at fault. The court would almost look at this as an act of God type of event, as one will be hard pressed to prove that she did something to cause her own car fire.

As for letting your own insurance do the leg work. It is a 2-way sword. It get's you money/repair faster, but it will cost you your deductible up front. Should they recover from the Kia insurance, you may get some of the deductible back. My son's car got run over in a parking lot. I got the other side to admit to 90% fault, so I should get 90% of my deductible ($1k total) back. But my insurance insisted on arbitration to get the last 10%, and guess what, arbitration comes back 50-50. So I just lost $400 of my deductible. Ce la vie.

Good luck with your case.

CP

Quick Reply: Searing Images and Questions