Searing Images and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 AM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searing Images and Questions

Greetings,

I wanted to share my saga and hopefully get some input on my car and the resulting quagmire that I'm currently dealing with. Long story, so here goes.

About two weeks ago my car, which was carefully parked in a secure, but large employee parking lot was damaged when an other car parked in proximity to mine. I 've always accounted for door ding potential, park accordingly, etc. The only thing I didn't take into consideration was the potential of a car self combusting. Well, thats what happened.
Some gal in her Kia parks next to my car, leaves for her place of employment, and somehow, her car self ignites, right next to my 993.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/jnor10/
hope the link works, flame throwing photos at bottom.

Anyhow, no info on the car owner, I'm dealing with the Port Authority who has Police and Fire jurisdiction and until the Police report is finalized, they can't tell me anything about the owner.

I get the ball rolling with my Ins Agent, as he states that fire and theft will not effect my rates. I file with my agent, "they pay for the damages and recoup money from the other party". Sounds good so far.

I have my car flat bedded to a good shop that does Porsche restoration work. Yesterday, I received the gal's insurance info, call her agent (get this, he kind laughs and says "oh, so your the guy with the Porsche". WTF is that about? And then, next thing he says is, well, my client has a Limited Policy, as in, the claims from my car, and the two other vehicles that were charred by her car, will excced the value of her policy. "I've only worked for "Farmers" for 6 months, so I don't know how they will split up the claims, maybe ratios or something".

So, my insurance, I suspect will have to eat whatever doller amount comes short of my claim, but I'm still out, as I'll have the body resprayed due to its age, etc. I was hoping to claim diminished value, which my insurer "says" they will not payout for. So do I have to go after this gal in small claims court to recover any other loses? Additionally, I want to recoup the difference on my rental car as my policy is $16/day, $400 total, which does not quite cover the POS Kia I'm currently renting (ironically)

Well, thats it, thanks for reading and I really do appreciate any helpful tips offered.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2007, 01:26 AM
jhale
Pro

I don't even know what to say about such an occurrence.... I am so sorry to hear about this event. This is something you couldn't even make up! I wish I could offer you guidance or advice on the insurance issue but I'm not familiar with insurance claims. I believe you can go after her beyond her insurance coverage to get the difference... isn't this one of the reasons for having an umbrella policy?

I am sorry about the loss and good luck with the insurance battle. Good thing the car didn't explode!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:52 AM
jnor10
Instructor

thanks for your thoughts.

I guess my primary challenge is sorting through the maze that the insurance companies set up to frustrate you to the point of giving up, in order to avoid paying for a claim.

I also can go after this gal in small claims court, but I wonder how fruitful that would be? I can't say for a fact, but have the impression (including the agents statement that she has a limited policy, (or is that a smoke screen on behalf of her insuranance company)) that she is of limited financial means?

Jeff
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jeff...Sorry for your loss, Holy Cow! A little more information for you as Washington is one state which has a law on the books that supports diminished value claims. The insurance company's do not want you to know this but it is written...hard to find, but I went through this and won. Your insurer is bound by state law I would imagine as you are insured in Washington. I would be glad to share the info if you are going for a DV claim. Best of luck.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:03 AM
jnor10
Instructor

Hi Randy,

Thanks for chiming in. I was talking to Mark today (Eurotech, he's doing the work) and he mentioned your success with your claim. Thats the issue I'm dealing with. As soon as I mentioned DV to my Ins Co, they were quick to state that they did not acknowledge DV and would not pay on such a claim. My next move was to collect from the other insurance company, but with mention of this "limited policy" of the holder, I don't know where that leaves me.

I'd appreciate anything info you can share, if you don't mind, could you PM your contact info?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing pictures. I cannot imagine standing there watching this happen right next to my car.
Sorry to see it man. Good luck with the claim. The whole DM issue is a mess, but it sounds like you may have a better course of action than those of us in other states. I gave up my persuit of DM and am just settling to get the car back and repaired properly.

Good luck and keep us posted, I'm interested to see what happens with the DM for you
Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Good luck, Jeff. Those photos are amazing. Talk to your insurance company and/or get in touch with your state's insurance commission. If you can't find any satisfactory resolution, consult an attorney.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your uninsured / underinsured policy would take up the slack for the womans "limited" policy. Then your insurer would likely sue the other insurance company.

Seeing this makes me want to go get a fire extinguisher. Best of luck.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait a minute. The fact that she has some sort of "limited" policy--whatever that means--is her problem not yours. Her insurance insures her, not you. You don't have to give them the time of day, and the last thing you should do is start negotiating yourself with HER insurance company. Don't start giving in and planning for what you aren't going to get already. Get a lawyer now!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Hey Jeff,

I don't have anything to add other than to wish you luck in getting your car fix and in dealing with her insurance. I'm sure you'll get some good words from the group...

This is really bizzare... Sorry again.

Last edited by Air Kuul TT; 06-08-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 PM
jnor10
Instructor

I'll have to contact my insurance co. to get an answer on the "Limited Policy" statement.

Besides Rennlist and Excellence, what are other sources for realistic resale values? KBB and Edmunds fall short of market value, IMO.

I guess the up side is, after a top end rebuild (with some tasteful mods thrown in), a rebuilt transmission (I should have my son explain that one) and now a respray, my car will be like new. Down side is I'll want an airport beater car after this experience.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a nightmare! I hope you can recover the costs...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM
creator8
Instructor

This is quite easy. If you have at least vaguely decent comprehensive insurance, your insurance company takes care of everything--including the rental car unless your policy specifically excludes it as some do.. They will then decide how to deal with the other party. It doesn't matter that she has a "limited" policy. There's plenty of people running around with only the minimum state required liability insurance (I believe only $35k in California). Thats why you have "uninsured motorist" as part of your policy. All you need to do is make sure their adjuster is dealing with your body shop and approving the work.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Limited policy means just that. My sister lost her husband to a dui driver and the driver only had $50k policy and that was all she got. Small claims court can decide in your favor but can not force payment unless children support is involved or if you want to pay a lawyer to garnish wages. If she is out of state, forget it. The advice about having your insurance company pay the difference and let them go after the other party is the best advice. Sounds like you have a very good car to stick with after fixing up. Don't forget, you can write off any loss differences on your tax return. Good luck
Old 06-08-2007, 02:24 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I do believe the amount over the damage that her policy is limited to will come out of her pocket/assets. Your insurance company should be handling all dealings with both here insurance and her to recover the total needed to make you whole, even if that means your insurance company has to take her to court to do so. You as a customer of your insurance company should not have to initiate anything... that's their job. Get your agent off his behind.

Good luck... hope the car comes out even better than before the inferno.

BTW... purdy wheels!

Last edited by kkim; 06-08-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Searing Images and Questions