Need rear tire/alignment help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need rear tire/alignment help!

OK here is my situation -

I need rear tires ASAP! The RR tire is down to cords on the inner side. The LR tire is even wear and front tires are looking great with lots of tread. Definitely the camber is tweaked on the RR compared to LR tire.

Researching tires, seem to be either Michelin PS2 or rib or Bridgestone RE050 PP tires. But at $150-$200 per tire, I would hate to slap new expensive rubber on the rears without investigating this camber issue on RR.

I want to get new rear tires, get all tires balanced, and get alignment or camber adjustment. I searched on alignment and my head is about to explode with all the info. I have read about the merits of corner balancing, hunter etc. I need help.

If you were just replacing the rear tires only, what do I need to look for in alignment shop? Do I need to find a shop with kinematic toe tool? I dont want to invest in the "ultimate" alignment with old rubber up front and planned VB HD upgrade sometime in the future.

Any alignment shops that you can recommend in San Diego?

Sorry for the long post, TIA! TJ
Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 AM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TJ, Jae Lee at Mirage down in Mira Mesa is a very good bet, www.mirageintl.com. I took my 993 to him based on all the good feedback I'd received about his "993 alignment guru-ness". He did all the good stuff, including corner balance, and I count myself as a happy customer.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the tires I would buy a set of 4 Sumitomo HTR ZIIs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=HTR+Z+II

They are so cheap there is no need to buy just two

However I don't know if it would throw the alignment off that much if you do it with the tires you have now. I have heard both; people saying it really matters and people saying it doesn't matter that much. I'm gonna watch the responses on this one. It will be interesting
Old 07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

+993 for Jae at Mirage International! His expertise with the kinematic toe and alignment in general was well worth the 800+ mile road trip last month... my car handles like a scalpel now, even with the old worn out front tires on my street wheels. I can't wait for the next DE to mount up the track wheels and really check it out. Since you stated you don't necessarily want an "ultimate alignment," I would suggest contacting Jae for his input... he will probably be willing to work with you to dial the car perfectly for your needs. I don't think I would let anyone even look at the rear alignment adjusters unless they had the factory KT tools at a minimum... too many stories of weird and dangerous behavior when the KT isn't perfect.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile +++ on Jae Lee at Mirage down in Mira Mesa

When you see guys driving 800 miles each way for an alignment, etc., that has got
to tell you something.

Note: AvidTest and I are in the same class with POC, LP I instructed him for one session at the track. His car really handles well with incredible turn in. I will be battling with him this year...and for a long time. Sorry to say , I told him about getting his stock LSD rebuilt by Guard Transmission, where I was going to get mine done...he jumped right on it...I just had mine rebuilt and was recently re-installed. Now it will be even tougher to beat him. Woe is me .

I too had my car set up by Jae Lee. Jae has established a reputation for doing an outstanding job on setting up kinematic toe (rear bump steer) on lowered 993 cars...as well as all the other trick alignment stuff. Supposedly, the factory kinematic toe alignment tool will not work on a car that has been lowered below a certain level.

Take the car to Jae; your worries will be over.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

TJ - Jae Lee's the man (Mirage Intl). Right off of Miramar Rd across from Frazee Paints. When my car come back from the body shop it will go to Jae for a 4 wheel alignment. Found out my rear shock mounts are wrong and the front camber is way off a competitive alignment. Plus, I have to spend the money to find out why Shannon has that extra bit.

For street tires I'd buy those Sumo's, holy cow, can't beleive how cheep they are! (275/35/18s for a buck 50.) That's 200-300 more dollars i can put toward racing tires!! Amfab excellent find!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend had them on his Mustang (yes I actually have a friend with a Mustang) and recommended them to me. I had a blowout on my Yokos and they stopped making the 255-17s, so I had to make a quick decision on a tire, $385 mounted and balanced I figured even if they sucked I wouldn't be out that much. They aren't a phenomenal tire, but they are pretty good. From what I have heard Sumitomo owns Bridgestone and Khumo. Does anyone know this to be true?

Quick Reply: Need rear tire/alignment help!