Sponsored by: DashLynx

PORSCHE RS Spyders beat big Audis again

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking PORSCHE RS Spyders beat big Audis again

The RS Spyders beat the Bid Audis in a soaking wet but fun Road America race.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick--change the rules!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooray for Rs Spyders... But too bad GT2 was another disappointment for Porsche.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
obchuck
Racer

Would have DOMINATED if I was driving!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

+1!

I think Lizard need to change their wimpy drivers... Where was Patrick LONG!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i missed it, had to work. Rolex DP ran too evidently.

dont fear, i am sure somebody is whining already about the Spyders. the gt's in the Rolex series were forced to add weight just not long ago after being mildly dominant.

Last edited by faster; 08-14-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
1998C2S
Advanced

+1 too!!! I say that, but I am a bit torn about another P-win. Working at Champion Audi (Audi Sport N.A.) I can tell you that there is a lot of concern for the future of Audi on the top of the podium, but as a racing fan, I'm OK with it.

The rules did change enough to where the big P1 cars are really at a disadvantage, but the Porsche success is probably better for the sport in the long run (short run too). It is not a bad thing seeing someone else win, having had Audi dominate for so many years. It was fun while it lasted - we're just relieved no one watches sports car racing, so it will have no effect whatsoever on sales

PS, if you need an Audi, let me know...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998C2S
+1 too!!! I say that, but I am a bit torn about another P-win. Working at Champion Audi (Audi Sport N.A.) I can tell you that there is a lot of concern for the future of Audi on the top of the podium, but as a racing fan, I'm OK with it.

The rules did change enough to where the big P1 cars are really at a disadvantage, but the Porsche success is probably better for the sport in the long run (short run too). It is not a bad thing seeing someone else win, having had Audi dominate for so many years. It was fun while it lasted - we're just relieved no one watches sports car racing, so it will have no effect whatsoever on sales

PS, if you need an Audi, let me know...
P2 cars won't be beating P1 cars (= Audis & Peugeots, or any diesels for that matter) for long, at least in Le Mans & European series. Smaller restrictor & additional 50 kg weight will make sure of that.

I understan the Diesel issue but IMO the advantage thew diesel cars have is too big. Privateers have no chance in Le Mans with the current rules.

Although in future, P1 cars would be the factory cars and P2 class will be for privateers. Question is how long will Audi stay in? My quess is if Peugeot (and/or some other big manufacturer) comes up with real competition and Audi starts losing, they pull out.

Hey, when do YOU guys (Champion) get a car to race? I want to see J.J. there again!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
1998C2S
Advanced

We are racing the cars. The thing is we are no longer doing it offically as Champion Racing. In the off season, we became a factory Audi operation, so now we are Audi Sport. Down side is that we race under their factory colors. Up side is that we get to see the cool tech stuff well before any normal customer team normally would. We have the same old guys (Audi added a few dozen - ha ha), but out of the same old facility. Unfortunately not the same old results like the last few years.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Yep, Audi will whine and threaten to pull the plug on ALMS unless the P2s are handicapped to not possibly be able to win overall, just like at LeMans. Whatever happened to innovation, careful interpretation of the rulebook and a big checkbook? This trend of turning everything into "spec racing" although fine for the amateur ranks is getting really annoying at th pro level. Even F1 is killing anything but aero innovation, and even that is pretty restricted anymore.

Bryan, being factory has its upside and downside. I agree completely that you get to see the new stuff first, but sometimes that new stuff isn't quite as reliable as the old factory boys would have you believe when they first push it out. Cost us a couple of races a year being "factory." Overall though it is a great advantage because when there is a problem you do get the best support available and, it did get us Porsche factory Junior drivers which was a tremendous advantage over a lot of the "gentleman" racers we used to rent seats to in IMSA.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:49 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the little porsche car that could stories......makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.....LOL

Why does it always seem that when one team busts it's *** setting up their car/car's better than the other guy, the other guy whines to get a rule change or penalty added to the smart hard working team so the other guy can be competitive? Is it for fairness? I think not!

ZP44
Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...sounds like the 'American Way' is spreading around the world...

...if somebody is better, sue 'em (or something like that)
Old 08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998C2S
We are racing the cars. The thing is we are no longer doing it offically as Champion Racing. In the off season, we became a factory Audi operation, so now we are Audi Sport. Down side is that we race under their factory colors. Up side is that we get to see the cool tech stuff well before any normal customer team normally would. We have the same old guys (Audi added a few dozen - ha ha), but out of the same old facility. Unfortunately not the same old results like the last few years.
Thanks for the info, didn't know that.

Originally Posted by srf506
Yep, Audi will whine and threaten to pull the plug on ALMS unless the P2s are handicapped to not possibly be able to win overall, just like at LeMans. Whatever happened to innovation, careful interpretation of the rulebook and a big checkbook? This trend of turning everything into "spec racing" although fine for the amateur ranks is getting really annoying at th pro level. Even F1 is killing anything but aero innovation, and even that is pretty restricted anymore...
Big friggin' +1

In Rolex etc. it's ridiculous since they adjust immediately when someone is little ahead of someone else and all that lobbying you have to listen.

Pontiac builds a tube chassis car, Cadillac gets to move the engine etc. etc.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

The Audi's didn't lose the race because they are at a disadvantage. The rain leveled the playing field for all the cars. I mean look at the time sheets for the weekend, the Audis pretty much dominated the entire event. When the rain came out the Penske boys made some great strategy decisions and that's what put them on track ahead of the Audis.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:52 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Wombat, I agree rain helped equalize things somewhat, but most of that race was run in the dry. Why the Audi P1s didn't have a two or three lap lead by that point is beyond me. Even after things started drying out again the Audi's just never seemed to be able to match the Porsche's performance.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE RS Spyders beat big Audis again