Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need A/C Mech. Guru

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 PM
BobE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need A/C Mech. Guru

Does anyone know of an a/c mechanic that is "the best" anywhere within 800mi of Savannah, Ga.?

It's hot as BJesus here and my 993 is my daily driver. I've read all the threads on a/c but am not very mechanically inclined. The temp guage when stuck in the vent with the a/c top button pushed and the engine at around 3500rpm is never better than 68degrees.

It seems to me that there ought to be more air flow from the system as well. The left center vent blows like hell but the one right next to it is barely a trickle. The driver side vent is better but not enough to really feel. I keep the passenger vent closed to try to eek as much out of the system as I can.

Also, is the center vent really designed so poorly that you can't actually aim the vent directly at your face?

My mechanic has looked at the freon levels, adjusted them up and down and can't seem to get the air to do any better.

Any help with finding the right guy to diagnose and fix this (god I hope it's fixable) would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:56 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Bob. No help here on locating a guru, but wanted to give a couple notes.

Your comments on air flow are pretty much the norm. Most of the air comes through the center/driver side vent. If either side vents are getting extremely low air flow, then you could look under the hood to see if you are missing a piece of ducting. My car was actually for some reason. Under the hood, simply pull up that black plastic trim piece about 4" wide closest to the windshield. (No tools required, just lift.) Now, directly next to the hood support strut lower connection is where the elbow directs air into the cabin. Make sure (if the air is on high) you don't have a missing piece or feel air cooling your trunk.

On the A/C temps... if 68 vent temp is reached in Savannah HOT weather, then that really isn't TOO bad. One thing that will hurt things is a non-functioning condensor fan and you can check this very easily. With the car and a/c running, feel and listen right in front of the drivers' side front wheel. Under the fender are vents blowing down in front of the wheel where you should feel plenty of hot air exiting. You should also hear that electric fan blowing inside there. If not, then you most likely have a ballast resistor blown. Not a good DIY to start on if you don't do that kind of stuff, but at least may be something else to point your wrench at.

Hope this helps.
Brian
Old 08-18-2007, 12:32 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Don't forget to check the cabin air filters, they could be clogged and preventing air flow. I think p-car.com has a write up on how to replace them.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM
BobE
Intermediate

Thanks a mil for the input guys. I have checked my air filters and they are clean. White compared with James'. Brian, I will check on the ducting andfans and let you guys know how my progress goes.

Quick Reply: Need A/C Mech. Guru