Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: Who has an MBA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:40 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have considered the networking implications, which can be significant. As an analyst I think it would help quite a bit and I can see actual, quatifiable benefits to my day to day job function. I'm planning to attend a informational meeting next month to get a few more details.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 AM
T Rip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get your MBA because you wanted to work for a large company?

Here's what I was told by the former Dean of the MBA program at the Carlson School of Mgmt, Univ. of Minn. When I asked about entering the MBA program after getting my undergrad in business, he asked, "What do you want to do?" I said run my own company or someone else's by the time I'm 30. He said, "Forget the MBA. If you work for a big company, an MBA will open doors. As an entrepreneur, find the best manager you can in a small business and pay attention to how everyone does their job. You won't get that exposure in a big company. An MBA would be very valuable if you didn't already have a Bachelors in business." That's pretty honest advice considering he ran the MBA program!

In hindsight, he was right. I made my goal and have since sold 2 businesses. Today, I work as a management consultant and CEO Coach. IMHO, there's no substitute for playing with real bullets.

What do MBA's working for big companies think? Did you really need the MBA? If you had an undergrad in biz, did the MBA add that much more?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:46 AM
deltawedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MBA from Paul Merage School at University of California, Irvine. I got my MBA because I wanted to learn more and it seemed like it would help open doors in the business world (BSME undergrad). It delivered on both counts.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by T Rip
Did you get your MBA because you wanted to work for a large company?

Here's what I was told by the former Dean of the MBA program at the Carlson School of Mgmt, Univ. of Minn. When I asked about entering the MBA program after getting my undergrad in business, he asked, "What do you want to do?" I said run my own company or someone else's by the time I'm 30. He said, "Forget the MBA. If you work for a big company, an MBA will open doors. As an entrepreneur, find the best manager you can in a small business and pay attention to how everyone does their job. You won't get that exposure in a big company. An MBA would be very valuable if you didn't already have a Bachelors in business." That's pretty honest advice considering he ran the MBA program!

In hindsight, he was right. I made my goal and have since sold 2 businesses. Today, I work as a management consultant and CEO Coach. IMHO, there's no substitute for playing with real bullets.

What do MBA's working for big companies think? Did you really need the MBA? If you had an undergrad in biz, did the MBA add that much more?

I think it depends very highly on the industry.

From what I've seen in the Financial services industry in NYC, an MBA from a very top school opens a lot of doors through alumni and access to internships and such. An MBA from a lower tier school probably won't help much if you already have an undergrad business degree. However, some jobs just require the MBA, no matter where you got it.

Thats all I can really speak to, I don't have much experience in other industries.

Quick Reply: OT: Who has an MBA?