Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

If you only got to keep 1 car due to buying a house, would you sell your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts
Default If you only got to keep 1 car due to buying a house, would you sell your 993?

So, we're looking at buying a house, but it's very expensive and I may have to sell one of my cars. I have my 96 C4S

and a 2001 BMW 740i Sport (here's an old picture with my wife's old car).

My wife just got a new Acura RL as most of you know, but with $3-4k a year as an approximate amount for both my cars in car repairs each year + insurance, 1 may have to go (of my cars that is). I really want to keep the 993 but it means I'd have to drive it all winter in the Rockville, MD area (snow a few times a year, sometimes alot of snow). I also really want to keep the BMW as it's obviously much more spacious and can haul more stuff and people. Can you imagine selling your 993 though? The thought of it makes me sick. I've been at this crossroads before, but this time a killer house is kind of weighing in the balance.

We may need that extra $4k a year to keep up the house. I know, $3-4k per car seems like alot for repairs but that's truly the amount it's cost to maintain both my cars each year. The BMW alone has cost $4000 already just this year and it's not yet October. Just had to part with $1730 today for brakes, rotors, and some complicated CEL fixes. Our realtor says I should sell both the cars and just get a Toyota, Honda, Acura or Lexus. She doesn't get it. I'm a car guy. I'd be bummed driving a regular car year round after having these cars. Wouldn't you? Your car guys... it's in your blood. On the other hand, I really want to get this house as does my wife.

So, I know I may be asking this question in the wrong place, but would you sell your 993 to be able to better afford your dream home? We'd be stretching more than just a bit to buy this house, and selling one of the cars would make it much easier to do it. I've read posts here over the years where some 993 owners sold their cars to get a killer home, and then maybe later they'd be able to buy another 993. In my case, I doubt that would ever happen. Once I sell it, that would pretty much be it. I doubt I'd be in a position to get another 911.

It hasn't come down to the wire yet... but the reality of me being able to keep both cars is slowly waning...

Thx in advance for your thoughts on which car you'd keep if you were in my position. I'm not expecting many of you to say "sell the 993, it's a house here, dude... the 993 is just a car". But is it the right car to keep if that's all you'd have to drive year round, every day? I'm in sales and have driven my car for a couple of months at a time once when my BMW was in the paint shop. I really liked doing it, but was glad to have my luxurious "7" back when it returned. I was able to hold all my sales stuff in the trunk without a problem. I just wasn't able to do things like buy a large garbage can, bring my card table and 2 folding chairs for the few times I needed it for work, or drive to the airport with luggage. For that we could take my wife's car, I guess... unless she's using it and I can't.

Steve R
Old 09-20-2007, 01:34 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell the Beemer and spend $2500 on an old Toyota station wagon for hauling stuff.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts

Noah... logically, that does make sense. Buying a cheap used Honda or Toyota beater does solve the problem in a way. No offense to anyone that drives one, but ... it would be hard to go from the "7" to an old Toyota wagon. I realize I wouldn't be stuff driving it much, though.

Gosh, I've been spoiled. I guess this is the kind of sacrifice the realtor was alluding to when she said "How badly do you want to get into this beautiful home?"

It would this: (Now)

to this:

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Steve R
Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow..you just really want to get rid of that 993, don't ya Steve? J/K

My advice is similar to Noah's. If the house is important enough to you and your wife that one of your cars should go, it should be the Bimmer. That is a ton of money to spend in repair bills during one year. Perhaps getting a front wheel drive Integra or Civic for $3000 that you can drive on bad days and in the snow would allow you to keep and enjoy your 993.

Food for thought. If this house is going to put such a strain on your finances that you think that $3k or $4k a year in car repair money makes the difference between being able to afford it or not, you might want to rethink whether you can really afford the house. As you know, there are an infinite number of things that can go wrong with a house, most of which cost in excess of $4k. Being "house poor" sucks.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone I know who owns a 993 also own expensive houses. I guess I don't understand your problem.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen, 993Brendan - I know the market in some areas is down, but real estate will always appreciate faster and greater than autos! Look at the Carrera GTs; they're +100K less than they were new.

I'd sell both cars to get a better home! In the end it aint what you drive.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 AM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

What's wrong with the current house.. looks pretty nice. And.. all cars work just fine. Of course your realtor says you should sell the cars .. SHE.. wants to sell you a house.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:04 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

Please post pics of the house?

Thanks.

CP
Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

740's are $$ pits compared to a 993.

why not tell the wife she needs to get rid of the TL??......

she gets the 740, you get the 993 c4s, from which I understand are incredible in the snow.....
Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

No. Sell the Beemer, keep the 993....the p-car in the garage of the new house will look better.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
...Gosh, I've been spoiled. I guess this is the kind of sacrifice the realtor was alluding to when she said "How badly do you want to get into this beautiful home?"
Ask her how much she is willing to cut her comission... In other words: How badly does she want to SELL this beautiful home? The money you save on commission could easily buy you a used Honda or Toyota for a DD to replace the Bimmer.

Last edited by 993_Pilot; 09-20-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 AM
allill
Drifting

Keep the 993 by all means, sell the 740i and rent something when you need it during the winter.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve,
Say it ain't so! DON'T sell the 993. I just bought my car to match! It would be a shame to see my twin go away.....

Scenario:
You are in your beautiful new house, wandering from room to room admiring your achievement in arriving at a place in life where you could get into a house like this. ...bedroom, yes nice and comfy, living room..large, with a great setup, kitchen is great with shiny stainless appliances. Open the garage door and there's the wife's Acura RL and a Camry.

You make the call....
Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

a good 993 is hard to find these days.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Food for thought. If this house is going to put such a strain on your finances that you think that $3k or $4k a year in car repair money makes the difference between being able to afford it or not, you might want to rethink whether you can really afford the house. As you know, there are an infinite number of things that can go wrong with a house, most of which cost in excess of $4k. Being "house poor" sucks.

I totally agree with 993 Brendan. If you are truely sweating 3 or 4K becuase of the cost of this house-I would re-consider the whole thing.

Quick Reply: If you only got to keep 1 car due to buying a house, would you sell your 993?