Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with Suspension Choices on 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 PM
breeves_02
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Suspension Choices on 993

"H&R Street Performance Coil Overs" or "Bilstein PSS9 Suspension".

Automotion has a great 20% off offer on orders over $400.

That means this: http://www.automotion.com/productpag...&vehicle=26346 can be had for $1839 or the H&R set up, this: http://www.automotion.com/productpag...&vehicle=26346 for around $1404.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback that you all can give. Car is used for 1 track day a year and is driven moderately hard on the street the rest of time.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

IMO, the Bilstein HD's with the threaded shock bodies to faciliate lowering are a better choice for your usage.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:06 PM
breeves_02
AutoX

Thanks Mark. When you get a moment, I'd love to hear why the PSS9 is a better solution.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hey,

The PSS-9's are not the same thing as the HD's. The latter cannot be adjsuted but are fine for occasional track use. The former is adjustable (can't recall if it's for rebound or compression or both) but is overkill for a 99.9% street car. The PSS-9's can be a bit more unreliable, too, than the tried-and-true HD's.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Hey,

The PSS-9's are not the same thing as the HD's. The latter cannot be adjsuted but are fine for occasional track use. The former is adjustable (can't recall if it's for rebound or compression or both) but is overkill for a 99.9% street car. The PSS-9's can be a bit more unreliable, too, than the tried-and-true HD's.
Listen to Sage Mark...he knows of what he speaks!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:13 AM
breeves_02
AutoX

Thanks Mark & Martin. Where would you recommend I source the kit. I'm assuming that the shocks are sold with springs, am I right about this?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Cool Where to get the gear...

I always buy from Rennlist sponsors, if at all possible. If you decide on PSS9s, then check with:

Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland, OR as well as Viper Bob (Bob Brooks). You can find Rennsport on the web. You'll need to call Bob on his cell. PM me and I give you his cell. They can also fix you up with the Bilstein HD shocks/struts.

I am certain that Steve and or Bob can provide the extra locking collars as well.

The drop links I like are available from Tarett Engineering. They are so well constructed, you may want to wear them as manly jewelry. I bought a set and they are are on the car now. Ira from Tarett is very helpful and he is a Porsche racer too. http://www.tarett.com/

Steve and Bob can advise you on sway bars. I would stay away from any sway bar that lacks welded collars to prevent the bar from moving side to side under side loads. Sway bars secured with screwed collars, for the average guy, are just another maintenance item. You need to check the allen screws from time to time. Mine got loose, the bar moved to the left resulting in a mis alignment of the drop links to something less than vertical...the drop link and the mounting bracket were broken as a result.

However, let me advise you that if you want a suspension that fits, doesn't break, needs no adjustment or monitoring and is designed by Porsche for the 993..I would do the M030 (RoW) package (Springs, shocks, struts and sway bars). I used this package on the street and the track...I added the 21mm 993 TT rear sway bar for added stiffness to dial out any possible under steer. What troubles did I have? 0, none, nada!!! The package will include drop links. I would recommend the Tarett drop links, but note, these are heim joint, not rubber seated. They will transmit noise to the cabin...you may not want that. For a 99% street car, I'd go with the drop links in the M030 (RoW) package. Note this package will make the car ride a little stiff...but solid.

Some people may scoff at my M030 (RoW) recommendation...but I know first hand that it works, and works well. For me, my M030 (RoW) 80% track, 20% street. I only changed to the PSS9 set up when I got a "used" package that included front and rear ERP monoballs, for cheap. And being cheap, I didn't want to spend 2X money for the 993RS sway bars, I "saved" money by going to after market bars.... about $300, what a dummy

Viper Bob and or Steve Weiner may be able to help you secure the M030 (RoW) package. If they can't PM me and I'll give you a source.

In conclusion, I have had loads of grief with my current suspension...after I switched out the M030 (RoW) for PSS9s, after market sway bars, 993RS drop links rear and stock drop links up front. Gouged rear lower control arm and bent kinematic toe control arm, had to rebuild the PSS9 front struts, 4 broken 993RS rear drop links, one (1) sway bar mount destroyed..make that two.

I would be thousands of dollars ahead had I only stuck with the M030 (RoW) suspension...silly me. Like I said, you may get cons from fellow Rennlisters on my recommendation...but that is to be expected...after all, this is a public BBS.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:53 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the Bilstein HD's separately, or as a set with M030 Springs. Gert Carnewal has them with extra threading on the shock body to give you more adjustment. I think Viper Bob may have them like that too.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 AM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein Setup

Martin hit the nail on the head. I just spent $2k on a Bilstein HD setup and after driving 300 miles, am already facing a broken rear sway bar drop link. If I would have purchased factory parts designed for the 993, would not be facing having the shocks reinstalled with additional locking collars, a new drop link and then the cost of realignment. Hindsight is 20 20 but guys experience who have been there done that and already experienced the problems, that is invaluable. So is this forum.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Is Martin suggesting that by installing just the coilovers (either the PSS9's or JIC's) and no other parts, that all kind of other parts are going to break?

The price at Automotion is hard to resist for the PSS9's but .........
Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ssarchi
Is Martin suggesting that by installing just the coilovers (either the PSS9's or JIC's) and no other parts, that all kind of other parts are going to break?
Martin's not saying that at all. There is a reliable simplicity in a non-adjustable shock. M030's and Bilstein HD's utilize the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) philosophy, unlike the PSS-9's/JIC's/Motons with adjustablility. It's like having twenty power-everything motors in a car versus manual feature or no features at all. In the case of the adjustable PSS-9's or JIC's with *****, it would make sense that the component that has the feature may be less reliable than the component that lacks the feature. If it's not there to break, how can it break?

Also, Martin is referring to sway bars with bolt-on collars like the TRG bars that can suffer from loosening collars, although in over three years of use, I have not had any issues with my TRG bars.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The HD/MO30 springs, bars, & links gets another vote here: it is all I want for a street car that can easily attack country lanes ....
Old 10-20-2007, 05:01 PM
993Dude
Advanced

I have heard that for a street car the M033's offer a less stiff ride than the M030's with the same reliability. Is this true?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:13 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

That appears to be true- but I can't find anyone who puts a full kit together with that spring.....
Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 PM
993 Azul
Rennlist Member

I recently installed the MO33 springs w/Bilsteins extra thread and MO30 sway bars from Gert(Carnewal)
and although it is stiffer tha before, as it should be,it is very controlled and compliant and corners flat,gone is the floatiness of the standard suspension.It is exactly what I was looking for.
Although I never rode on a MO30 car before, I'm very pleased and would strongly recommend this set-up.I'm street use only.height is set at ROW sport,I only wish I hadn't waited so long.Hope this helps.

Joseph

Quick Reply: Help with Suspension Choices on 993