Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: Alonso splits with McLaren

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Evidence that temper tantrums do work. Please don't tell my kids.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a good move for Alonso and McLaren. It allows McLaren to make Lewis Hamilton their No. 1 driver and it allows Alonso to go to a place where he can be a number 1. I hope he ends up at Williams.

Look for Timo Glock or another 'young' driver to take the 2nd spot at McLaren.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat7
I think this is a good move for Alonso and McLaren. It allows McLaren to make Lewis Hamilton their No. 1 driver and it allows Alonso to go to a place where he can be a number 1. I hope he ends up at Williams.

Look for Timo Glock or another 'young' driver to take the 2nd spot at McLaren.
I agree... Don't be shocked if Alonso is "Traded" for Nico Rosberg though. Williams needs the sponsorship money and Alonso would bring in far more than Nico. I don't think Alonso will be a good fit for Frank Williams though. Franks is a no nonsense, no BS, it is what it is kind of guy. I mean geez, after he was paralyzed his response about it was "tough ****, things happen". I think Freddy (in my best David Hobbs voice) might be a bit too sensitive ole Frankie.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

According to the bbc website, his preferred destniation is Red Bull??? I would have thought his preferred destination would be either Williams or more likely Renault.

I cant see Williams letting Rosberg go anytime soon but in the mad mad world of F1; who knows??

Does anyone know if Ross Brawn is coming back to Ferrari?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee, I was hoping he'd just go race Nascar or Trucks with Montoya and Villnueve. I never liked Alonso for some reason and when he got caught up in the allegations regarding the Ferrari technical data it didn't surprise me. So happy Kimi won the driver's title. In the interest of competitive racing hopefully Alonso will wind up with a team that has the car to run with McLaren and Ferrari so the championship goes down to the wire just like this past season.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 PM
srm_993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Briatore has said he would welcome Alonso back, Fernando has said the opposite.

Ferrari (Jean Todt) has also said "...there is absolutely no chance. Zero." in response to the possibility of FA driving for Maranello.

BMW would appear well set with Heidfeld and Kubica.

Could Williams or Toyota or Red Bull offer FA a competitive machine?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet Toyota could compete at the top if they have the right driver. I imagine that they have the budget. There are alot of experts that suggest its the driver's ability to communicate with the engineers to get the most out of the cars being built. Thats probably why you didn't see Renault drivers on the podium as often this year. I figure Alonso is one of those drivers that knows how to communicate well for results. Give him any decent ride with good engineers and he'll be competitive.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:59 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Wherever FA goes, He should demand #1 driver position... Even if that means going to Rosso Toro!
Just looking back, if only he would have demanded #1 status to Ron, he would have probably gotten it and
he would surely be WC 2007 and we would all say who's LH?
But because rookie was so much better than FA ever imagined and faster than he was, as they say rest is history...
Good luck Alonso, for you DID beat MS twice. Now who can proudly say that!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:05 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

According to one UK newspaper, he was dismissed without any compensation!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I do not see Alonso at Toyota. They have a huge budget, but no one that knows hot to develop a car. If he goes to Toyota it will be at least a year before they can give him a competitive car, which means he would probably run mid pack in 2008 which he would not do. He is a good driver, I'm not willing to say great yet... Yes he is a double WC, but the Renault was a stellar car and Michelin's favorite team so they got some advantages that go along with that.

I see FA at Williams or Red Bull next year. With Adrian Newey designing the cars for Red Bull, they will just continue to get better and better. There was an interesting article on crash.net about a possible Williams move and it would make sense for both Williams and Toyota to try and get him there.

It will be an interesting off season... Where will FA go? Who will partner with Hamilton? How well will Bourdais adjust to the rigors of an F1 testing season? Will someone (Williams, Toyota, Honda) land the next rookie sensation?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
ste993
Pro

Bye bye Fernando... and don't let the door **** hit you.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Originally Posted by srm_993

Ferrari (Jean Todt) has also said "...there is absolutely no chance. Zero." in response to the possibility of FA driving for Maranello.

Well that answers that. Adios Massa!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

FA is currently with out a contract!! Who cares?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a report two weeks ago that Toyota offered him $57 million to drive for one season and he turned them down...............................Like David Ray said "Who cares?"

ZP44

Quick Reply: OT: Alonso splits with McLaren