Sponsored by: DashLynx

Concerns buying a 150k mileage 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:31 AM
ayw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerns buying a 150k mileage 993

I'm a hopeful first time Porsche owner, eager to partake in the history and legacy of these cars, but also hoping to avoid exorbitant repair costs.

This 993 is within my price range. It's being sold by a consignment dealer that is a bit difficult with PPI's and with revealing the paperwork, but my main concern is with the high mileage - if the PPI fully checks out, should I be able to avoid multi-thousand dollar repair costs in the near future? It will be my daily driver and only car. Thanks in advance for all your help!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/car/479157262.html

Oh, anyone know of a very thorough mechanic that can do a PPI for me in Half Moon Bay, CA (Hwy 1 @ Hwy 92). The consignment dealer is not willing to release the car to Palo Alto / Mountain View where I can have known mechanics look at it for me. Thanks!

Cheers,
allen
Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Allen:

Some thoughts,......

1) High mileage 993's always need some things regardless of what a thorough PPI reveals and IMHO, you need to realistically budget for that and thats critical for a DD.

2) That thorough PPI is the bellweather for this and any seller who is nervous about revealing paperwork or allowing this to be performed by one's own shop makes me VERY wary.

If you cannot take it to your shop and see all the record up front, personally speaking, I would find another car.

JMHO, so YMMV.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

This car is on another thread opened recently! With 150,000 miles on the odo, something must be about to wear out or break - tis the law of nature. That said, they are superbly built and can take the work but even abused ones clean up well and expensive repairs may have been put off. Only a decent PPI will detect this.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Look for a much lower milage car.... Or expect to do major rebuild, engine/trans/clutch/suspension, etc... if $$ allow. With all that done, you will have a most likely trouble free car for many years.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

My 95 is at 172,000 miles on the clock. There are several others here with even more and they continue to run strong. While nothing is "wrong" with my car, I do have the feeling that it is just getting close on a lot of minor items and the nickel and dime game is gonna get me. A couple electric heat control servos need replacing, I worry about my fuel pump and alternator, I've already replaced my starter and shocks (although that is a good excuse to lower yourself), and I'm sure countless other non-"wear" items are due for service or retirement like the compressor, alternator, wheel bearings, cv's, motor and tranny mounts, etc. All that doesn't even talk about the engine itself.

I think high mileage 993's are a great value, but I wouldn't buy one if I didn't want to throw maybe another $1 or $2 thousand a year into it. Doesn't mean you WILL have to spend that, but you very easily might. Mine had been my daily driver for years, but I recently retired it to casual duty in order to extend the life on my (original) clutch and those other items.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:26 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey, this sounds familiar!
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/392018-150k-mile-993-a.html
Old 11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
ayw
Track Day

Hey everyone, thanks for weighing in. Looks like vitaminC and I are in the same boat (964 or 993) and with the same car.

vitaminC - Thanks for the link, interesting read in that thread. I sent you a PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ayw
Hey everyone, thanks for weighing in. Looks like vitaminC and I are in the same boat (964 or 993) and with the same car.

vitaminC - Thanks for the link, interesting read in that thread. I sent you a PM.
It's not easy finding the right car, and patience is hard to come by when you've finally decided on the car you want.

My 2 cents:
Wait and don't compromise. This was from the advice of a guy I met while browsing a Bay Area get together.
These are special cars, and we're buying out of a passion for them. Decide which model you want, the color scheme you want, and what's important to you.... i.e. low mileage, perfect aesthetics, modifications, or all of the above. Then just spend the time looking.
It will come. Mine did, and I couldn't be happier
Even though it took me 6 months of looking multiple times daily
There are plenty of threads on where to look.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

BS911...I can't believe you are still on a stock clutch and then others go at 20,000 miles! Crazy ****! One guy with a 96-98 will get the dreaded SAI/CEL at 30,000 but the next won't ever.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my 993 with 150,000 miles about two years and 25,000 miles ago. I have not had anything major go wrong with it except the alternator just went out and that’s the first time it ever quite on me. And even that is only a $300 fix if you can turn a wrench.

My cost of ownership is way less than if I had spent over $30,000 on a garage queen.

Buy it planning on investing a couple grand into it the first six months of ownership and never look back.

You should go into this knowing that it will be somewhat difficult to sell this car because it will take a very educated buyer to understand the value of a higher milage Porsche when you want to sell it.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i personally don't buy a car for $10k without doing a PPI, unless it is under a factory warranty. I consider myself a good judge on body condition (i.e. repaints, accidents....) so that is the only time i'm willing to buy a car without a PPI!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:26 AM
gr8nine93
Instructor

My 95 had 99k on it but every record was in the file. And was that car spendy in the last few years. Upwards of ten grand I would say. I waited 35 years to arrive at the pinnacle of Porsche. If it were me I would find a nice 87-89 Carrera and discover the joys of driving a Porsche. In a few years when you are bored with it, and have saved some cash get the car you really want. ANd besides since when do we get exactly what we want right out of the chute? : - )
I waited a long time : - ( but I really appreciate what I have despite of some telling me I need a twin turbo.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

ANother thought beyond what I PMd you. WHy would you buy from a "stealer" when you are a mouse click away from any 993 in the US?. I bought mine 1000mi from home and it was great. PPI, checked out. Agreed on price. FLew down. Drove it. Car was as described. Cruised up I -5 at 85 mph and 26 mpg fromLA to portland. DId the same thing with a benz. NOt quite same result. Shop did not catch tie rod $500 and 8 dings on hood and roof. Total out above expected $800. Car was very low miles so I took it anyway. Just my opinion. Also set up a friend with a C class benz one owner on CL. PPI checked out. SHe is happy camper.

Quick Reply: Concerns buying a 150k mileage 993