993 Forum 1995-1998

New ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
At the end of the day we are all gearheads.
+1. Exactly. Stop being f-ing snobs. Car guys need to pull together, not try to draw lines and decide who's better. At the average cocktail party, you're lucky if you find one real car guy to talk to. Do you really care if he doesn't know anything about P-cars?

And yes, most of us are blessed with some mechanical aptitude, and you are to pull over and help everyone you can, even if they drive a Boxster or Corvette. I may only waive to air-cooled P-cars, but I'll try to help anybody.

Finally, yes, I'd love a standard C6 Corvette, in yellow probably. I think used ones are already under $30K. Would I trade my 993 for it? No, but not because of some superiority complex. That's wasted effort.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one used love corvettes. 70's curve lines were my thingy, then 80's & 90's shape threw me off.
When it came time for me to get a sportscar, I've looked at C5 corvette first but after that first ride I knew it wasn't for me...
Later, 996, NSX(someday!), then 993. I have found my dream car.
Some consider ZR1 as collector's item and me thinks that's kinda hilarious...
Old 12-27-2007, 02:35 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1. Exactly. Stop being f-ing snobs. Car guys need to pull together, not try to draw lines and decide who's better. At the average cocktail party, you're lucky if you find one real car guy to talk to. Do you really care if he doesn't know anything about P-cars?
You are right! I think it's wrong for to people to disagree about anything. From now on I hope this board lives you your words of wisdom and starts just to love one another and everyone just keep your opposite options to yourself.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Marco69
Advanced

To each its own, but this is a Porsche 993 forum, so the bias towards a p-car is going to be obvious. Actually, most 993 guys don't even like other “newer” Porsches

IMO, HP, TQ and G figures do not make the car; they help, but do not make the car. The Corvette may have all the HP in the world, but it lacks that “indescribable feel” when driven; which I call character. Honestly, I never had a better driving experience than when I drove a 1968 Dino. I wasn’t fast, it didn’t generate any Gs and it certainly didn’t out-brake anything north of 1990; however, the way the car drove, felt and sounded is something that I will never forget – once again, tons of character!

I also don’t have any respect for a car that still uses leaf springs in the suspension and pushrods in the engine. Anyone can make tons of HP with monstrous displacement, but where is the technology and efficiency?

This is just my opinion – don’t expect anyone to agree, but isn’t that the beauty of different points of view!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by NOH20
The difference is the Porsche uses "REAL" leather. The Corvette uses crap leather.
Do those "crap leather" driver's seat bolsters wear out after 40K miles?
Do Corvettes need a $10K top end rebuild at 70K miles?

All I'm saying is that every car has its weak points, and there are always trade-offs. No, I'm still in no danger of buying a Corvette.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:19 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 839 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by 96C4S
What do you guys think about the new corvette and would you trade your 993 for one.
i think it's made by a domestic manufacturer that makes NOTHING i'd buy.

No, thank you, no trades for me.

if i wanted to buy a 2008 super performance car................ i'd probably wait to buy the new GT-R.

cheers

Craig
Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

New ZR1, New Skyline GTR (0-60 in 3.3 fellas!), New "Whatever"....I'd still rather have, and show up at any social function in the 911.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:09 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

To me "real" car guys just love cars, regardless of what they are. The issue is we love some cars more than others. The kid around the block may have a nitrous blown honda that I would never own but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't still love to get a peek at the engine and watch it run the quarter mile. Corvettes are, and always have been, kinda cool cars IMHO. Not sure I want to own one but it sure would be fun to wring one out for a few hours. To me the same goes for a 996/997. Just because I'm not interested in owning one doesn't mean it isn't still a cool car in it's own way and fun to check out when I see one on the street. I'll still stop dead in my tracks at a car show to watch a Ford Skyliner retract it's top. Do I want to own one? Nope. Is it still kinda cool? I think so. If I had a massive garage and more money than good sense I'd own a huge list of cars, many of which would make little sense to other car guys. Since most of us have neither the unlimited funds and/or space we need to choose. Our choice(s), such as they are, are merely a reflection of our personal/technical priorities, not the relative merits of car A vs. car B. Forums like this (and car clubs for that matter) exist not because 993s are the best cars but because those who have the same car priorities tend gravitate toward one another. Personally, I give thanks for the guys whose priorities are different than mine because that's why I get the opportunity to see cool stuff that I'd never own but still get a kick out of seeing. IMHO the snob factor for which Porsche and Ferrari enthusiasts are frequently labeled is sometimes justified, but only because some owners care more about their self image than the machinery. Most people wouldn't be similarly confused about the motives of owners of an old TR6 or Amphicar. For all the other hopeless car nuts out there, regardless of your car choices - vive la difference!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

The new ZR1 looks and is bad-***, and I'm sure is a thrill to drive. If I had unlimited funds for a super stable of cool cars, I seriously doubt I'd choose the ZR1 over a dream list of, say, a McLaren F1, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 275 GTB/4, Porsche 906, Porsche 904, Porsche 993 GT1 (or 996 GT1), Porsche 993 GT2, Ferrari 288 GTO, Ford 427SC Cobra . . . you get the point.

So, the answer is, no, I would not trade my 993 under any circumstances for a Corvette ZR1.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
lowblow
Racer

I must say, I do like alot of things about the C6 in general, let alone the ZR-1. Would I pay the money, no. If I had the money I wouldn't look twice at the Vette. The new Audi R8 has my attention right now. Beautiful styling, outstanding performance and from what I've read extremely comfortable and capable in ANY situation. Audi has really come on strong in recent years. Sorry for the departure but I like to think myself as an admirer of all cars. Like I tell my wife, "just give me a 1,000 sf house with a 10 car garage for my cars and bikes!"

mike
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tmc says... get both!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 AM
vee12
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd rather spend that kind of money on a fast AND unique chevy powered vehicle...Ultima GTR for me thanks!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 AM
c4consult
Racer

never ever
Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 PM
h-bo
Instructor

I had the c6 z06 for a few months and absolutely loved it. i took it to the track on the same day as my 993 gt2 and was really impressed by the composure and speed. The z06 handles extremely well and the power is so easy to use. The ZR1 should be even more fun. I am waiting for a 997 gt2 in January, but may very well sell it to try the ZR1 or new skyline when they become available.
I love all cars that have been engineered with a specific purpose in mind. I would be miserable if I could only chose from Porsche!
Happy new year!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Tom Malone
Intermediate

Default New 2009 ZR-1

The new Corvette ZR-1 is not scheduled for release for approximately nine months. I currently own a Porsche 993 and a Corvette 2006 Z06. They are both great automobiles. They share the same excitement for the driver, who loves automobiles. It's like a woman, they are all beautiful, but there is just one that makes your day. Please enjoy the experience of life, and the freedom of choice. They are both great automobiles, just pick what fits you.

Quick Reply: New ZR1