Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drive Block : Self locking with car running and doors closed! WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drive Block : Self locking with car running and doors closed! WTF!

After nearly one year of owership, I had the the Drive Block system bite me in the *** today.
I decided to take a spirited 85 mile drive to the Grand Canyon from here before Easter dinner.
The weather was perfect, Canyon views magnificant as usual and the long walk refreshing.
After arriving there and leaving at noon, I decided to stop the the Flintstone's Travel Park on the way back to snap a couple of colorful Porschep Pics.
Since I was only going to be there for a few minutes, I left the car running and closed the door while I stepped out to take the photos. To my utter supervise and dismay, the DAMN car locked itself while running and me outside of it!
Cell phone, wallet,etc,etc are locked in the car!

NOW WHAT? After a conversation with the gas station people and finally the DPS (State Police) who said he wasn't going to damage my car breaking in. NOW it is nearly 1:00pm.

Hum..... what about AAA that I belong to? 1.5 hours later he shows up and can't open it either. Since the hand brake is on he won't drag it onto his wreaker running or not. He offers to take me back to my Flagstaff home.

I jump into the wreakers front seat and drive away hearing my almost new car idling up against the wall. I was the talk of the trailer park the entire the time. Thanks to a good local, we drove my other vehicle back to the Trailer Park with the spare key. The car was still idling well within the comfort temperture range. It required an Italian tuneup for the 85 mile drive back home. It was purring like a kitten when put back in its garage.
The whole episode ended in the Flagstaff backyard with a couple of shared beers at 5:30pm.

Fluke event or crazy german security design?

Moral of the story: Carry a spare set of keys in your pocket or turn the car off.

What a day.
Attached Images     
Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Personally, I can't see much upside in leaving an idling car alone, especially a nice Porsche anyway. Too many chances for someone to easily take it, or any other number of bad things. The lesson you got today just ensures you won't make a bad habit a regular one. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Personally, I can't see much upside in leaving an idling car alone, especially a nice Porsche anyway. Too many chances for someone to easily take it, or any other number of bad things. The lesson you got today just ensures you won't make a bad habit a regular one. Good luck!
Stepping out of your idling car for a minute to snap a photo of it, and it locking itself is out of the ordinary don't you think? My Land Crusier and SL55 don't have that problem.
If this is the way the Drive Block system works, then I suppose I won't develop the "bad habit" you mentioned.
I should have mentioned, I left my other half there (not real happy) to sun herself and keep an eye on the car.

I really want to hear from someone that knows the quirks of this Drive Block system.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I hear what you're saying. A car locking itself is out of the ordinary. Then again, here in Los Angeles where I live it's equally out of the ordinary for me to see an idling car left unattended, even for a moment, because most folks here realize doing so has no upside and lots of bad sides, like the one you discovered today. Another major downside could be opportunistic theft. There are thousands of stories of those who lost their cars because they just left them running unattended "for a second". I have no idea if this is even applicable to your situation today; just saying.

Not trying to preach here, just pointing out the upside vs. downside. I've never experienced any quirks with my Drive Block system. But then again, I don't leave my car running unattended either.

I have a feeling after today, perhaps you won't either. That can't be a bad thing.

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 03-24-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously:
I have heard of things like this before with the drive block. I will not ever leave the keys in my car if the top is not open or the windows are down, whether it is running or not.

Not so seriously:
Even in my old Targa I had to be careful. Once I locked my keys in it and I couldnt 'get in.

I was frantic because it looked like rain and the top was off.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Black993
Drifting

I have yet to do this, but it may be because I NEVER leave the keys in it unless the windows or sunroof are open. I'm paranoid about it!

Glad it worked out and you got some cool pictures.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad everything worked out OK, sure miss the Canyon.
Phil
Old 03-24-2008, 12:59 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Been there, done that! Had it happen once except that the car was off. I went into the cleaners to pick up and deliver. Left the keys in the car. (crime is illegal in rural Virginia) Came out and the doors had locked. It's done that a few times in the garage also. I think that if you hit the lock button and open the door, the door locks again. Now if the keys are in the car, the window is down.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Just reading a post such as yours make RL worth the price of admission. I live in a rural community, auto theft is rare, and routinely leave the car running while purchasing something at the local convenience store. I won't be doing that again. Glad to hear all is OK.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Only had it happen once, engine off and pumping gas. Then click. Such a relief to reach in my pocket and feel the key. Can't understand what happened in your case.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 AM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.
Needless to say, I will never the keys in the car enigne running or not unless a windwo is down.
Damnest thing that ever happened to me with this car!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Only had it happen once, engine off and pumping gas. Then click. Such a relief to reach in my pocket and feel the key. Can't understand what happened in your case.

I never let the doors close with the keys inside - even when pumping gas. I only have the one key, so I'm especially paranoid.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you need to leave the keys in the car at least leave the door closed enough that the catch mechanism doesn't latch, providing the drive block system a fault signal.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boy, this sounds familiar....

Check your door pin switch that makes the interior light go on/off when you open/close the door. If it has rusted and is not working properly, the drive block signal uses it to determine if the door has been opened or not. In your case, you unlocked the door with the engine running, the drive block may not have gotten a signal that the door had opened with the engine still running and automatically relocked the door after 20-30 seconds.

I had this same problem of the door mysteriously locking on occasion and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. I was paranoid of being locked out of the car before I found the problem and even after, though it never did, once I fixed the door pin switch.

Hope this helps with your problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...oor+pin+switch
Old 03-24-2008, 05:12 AM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by richardew
Been there, done that! Had it happen once except that the car was off. I went into the cleaners to pick up and deliver. Left the keys in the car. (crime is illegal in rural Virginia) Came out and the doors had locked. It's done that a few times in the garage also. I think that if you hit the lock button and open the door, the door locks again. Now if the keys are in the car, the window is down.
+1

Quick Reply: Drive Block : Self locking with car running and doors closed! WTF!