Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Heat with headers

Hi guys,

do you know of any way to redirect heat inside the cabin when you have headers on which mean no heat exchangers?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build a cuff around the header, add a cold air intake with a manually actuated closing flapper valve, a small fan in a cooler area to draw air in and pipe it through the existing ducting.

Install a carbon monoxide monitor!!!

Good luck with the concept
Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Build a cuff around the header, add a cold air intake with a manually actuated closing flapper valve, a small fan in a cooler area to draw air in and pipe it through the existing ducting.

Install a carbon monoxide monitor!!!

Good luck with the concept
Kind of like a heat muff used on airplanes? i was thinking about that but the carbon monoxide issue I think its a bit much! LOL... Unless you weld short of a heater box around one pipe it and use the normal heater blower creating a closed circuit just like stock? I attach a pic from an aircraft heat muff which is what I'm thinking.

I also remember reading somewhere and i just dont seem to find it anywhere now, that someone used the heat from the oil cooler! Not very efficient for sure, but its a race car and I'm just looking to kind of take the edge out of cold mornings up here.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Getting heat from the oil cooler wouldn't do much good until the oil cooler switched open, which isn't until the car is totally warmed up.

Seems the best solution would be to build a box around your headers, just like the factory did. You already have the ducts and everything for that arrangement, so why not use it.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cargraphic do a heater version of their headers, but they ain't cheap ..

cheers, Maurice
Old 04-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
Kind of like a heat muff used on airplanes? i was thinking about that but the carbon monoxide issue I think its a bit much! LOL... Unless you weld short of a heater box around one pipe it and use the normal heater blower creating a closed circuit just like stock? I attach a pic from an aircraft heat muff which is what I'm thinking.

I also remember reading somewhere and i just dont seem to find it anywhere now, that someone used the heat from the oil cooler! Not very efficient for sure, but its a race car and I'm just looking to kind of take the edge out of cold mornings up here.
I am a pilot and this is what I was thinking about... if the work is done correctly, you have little to fear from CO. I would enclose the full headers to ensure even cooling of each pipe. FWIW of course
Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Moonshine will take the edge out of the cold mountain mornings...

Quick Reply: Heat with headers