Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Control Arms Bent

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Control Arms Bent

I got a wonderful phone call today from my Porsche dealer where I was having my H&R/Bilstein HD's installed. "When we got your car on the hoist we noticed both your rear control arms are bent, have you had it transported on a flatbed ? " I said no, perhaps it was the previous owner(s) as I just just bought my 993 last September (with 18,000 miles and it is bone stock). I went down and had a look myself and they are certainly bent. The Tech's told me it has been fairly common on 993's as unwitting flatbed driver's/owner's strap the chains to the control arms and crank them down easily bending the aluminum arms. This is one of the first things they check when a 993 is on the lift. Great way to add another $1100 to my suspension install, they are not charging me any labor fortunately.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You can source used arms to save some cash. The ball joints are fairly robust. Give a used part guy a call.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 AM
leonardjohnr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same call from my shop when I was having it corner balanced... So, I went over to see for myself, as I'm surprised it wouldn't have been caught during another servicing... When I got over there... they showed me the control arm in question... I didn't immediately see it... So I held up a strait edge to it... sure enough, it was bent (as compared to the straight edge)... and you could probably slip a sheet of paper, maybe two in the day light between the straight edge and control arm...

So, my next question was... is it a safety issue... answer: no... ah... what is the issue... answer: it won't be *perfectly* aligned for your DE weekend... I thanked them for being so thorough, and said align it as best you can...
Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I just replaced all my rear suspension. I have all the controll arms in a box. I will look them over and make sure they look good and if you pay shipping they are yours...

Give me a PM and I will check them out this weekend for you.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Any of you guys w/ rear control arms off the car. Any chance of getting the #s off the bushes?

which arm(casting # is ok) best estimate of the year of the arms and bush#s would be great.

TIA
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

When I replaced mine, I found that there were a few P/N for the arms. There was a topic on this board and it if my memory doesnt fail me, the PN changes represent different years or something. I reluctantly replaced one of my orignal arms with another P/N. I measure the replacement arm and could not find a reason why the replacement arm had a different p/n etc. They look exactly the same, ball joint looked the same, dims are the same etc. I dont remember anyone knowing for sure the difference in the arms and PNs. I installed the new arm and its been fine for 1.5 years now. I would feel comfortable putting any 993 arm on my 95 as long as dimensionally the same...
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
When I replaced mine, I found that there were a few P/N for the arms. There was a topic on this board and it if my memory doesnt fail me, the PN changes represent different years or something. I reluctantly replaced one of my orignal arms with another P/N. I measure the replacement arm and could not find a reason why the replacement arm had a different p/n etc. They look exactly the same, ball joint looked the same, dims are the same etc. I dont remember anyone knowing for sure the difference in the arms and PNs. I installed the new arm and its been fine for 1.5 years now. I would feel comfortable putting any 993 arm on my 95 as long as dimensionally the same...
You are correct that casting #s have changed w/ no apparent dimensional change, hence the conjecture that the bushes are the difference.

That's why I'm interested in identifying the bush #s associated w/ a given arm & year.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:49 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

As soon as you figure out, maybe youll be able to unlock the mysteries of women!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

AAA published a 15-page "Towing and Road Service Guide for Porsche Vehicles", a copy of which I carry in the boot of my car. It speficies "car carrier" (flatbed) only, and that the tie-down is to be made with straps through the wheels.

I tried to find this guide on the web, but no joy. The address on the publication is: Quality and Education Services, AAA Automotive, 1000 AAA Drive, Heathrow, FL 32746.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gasser
I just replaced all my rear suspension. I have all the controll arms in a box. I will look them over and make sure they look good and if you pay shipping they are yours...

Give me a PM and I will check them out this weekend for you.

Jeff
Thanks for the gesture. Unfortunately, I went ahead with the new arms yesterday and they were installed today. I just wanted my car to be done.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

No problem. Rear arms are now spoken for by another member.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2008, 01:58 AM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT
AAA published a 15-page "Towing and Road Service Guide for Porsche Vehicles", a copy of which I carry in the boot of my car. It speficies "car carrier" (flatbed) only, and that the tie-down is to be made with straps through the wheels.

I tried to find this guide on the web, but no joy. The address on the publication is: Quality and Education Services, AAA Automotive, 1000 AAA Drive, Heathrow, FL 32746.
BobbyT,
Try this: http://partner.aaa.biz/portal/site/a...82c70089fd3f8/
Old 04-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by WarpMan
Thank you very much for this, I'm printing it off now and will put it in the 993 today. I guess I should also make a copy for the Cayenne since it's AWD.

I am a AAA member and get all the life ins./medical ins./mortgage ins. and credit card offers to prove it!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:32 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

The day a AAA tow truck driver learns to tow a Porsche correctly will be the day it freezes in hell.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Tony: My point exactly. That is why I carry the guide in my car. Hopefully the tow driver will follow it, and if he doesn't, I should have a better legal position to get damages covered.

Quick Reply: Rear Control Arms Bent