Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Off Topic: How to ship a pinball machine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Off Topic: How to ship a pinball machine?

I need your advice on an off topic question. I bought a used pinball machine in the North East and need to ship it to Texas. The seller offered me to ship it with fedex for about 450 USD which I considered fairly expensive. Can you advise on alternatives?

Thanks,
Erik
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't recall how much shipping was when I bought a pinball machine in 2001 as it was part of the sales cost, but that estimate doesn't sound too out of line. They need to crate and or pallet the machine with the top folded down over the glass. In addition, it will need to be shipped via a freight hauler. Some haulers will only deliver to certain pick up places, and others to your driveway.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try www.freightquote.com
Old 04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No personal experience, but a good buddy of mine went through a "pinball phase" and bought and sold a number of machines. Here's his reply:

"Sounds a little steep, check rec.games.pinball archives for more ideas
but forward air used to be the favorite for sending them in crates."

Good luck!

- Dave
Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, I have one I'm looking to get rid of and I was wondering the same. I have no idea what its worth though...

its an old Williams Brothers from the late 60's. Any ideas on value?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had a few machines shipped freight, one from Canada and another from Boston. Have to go pick it up at a freight depot. Getting the road grime out of the machine is painful... Think the cost was anywhere from $50 to $200 on those, but a number of years ago.

Williams Electronics what? Price is going to depend on a number of factors. Condition, manuals, whether or not that machine had some special features, etc.

You can try searching for the machine at Mr Pinball web site:
http://www.xmission.com/~daina/classified/index.html
Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grouchy

Williams Electronics what? Price is going to depend on a number of factors. Condition, manuals, whether or not that machine had some special features, etc.

You can try searching for the machine at Mr Pinball web site:
http://www.xmission.com/~daina/classified/index.html
Pretty rough shape, no manuals, etc. Room-mate decided it was a good idea, then moved out and its still sitting around collecting dust. Most of it works, but not all of it. Paint is pretty poor on it. I think he paid too much for it! I just want it gone!

Just looked. It's a Williams Brothers Pot-O-Gold with some fish on the side of it. Smells old
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I need your advice on an off topic question. I bought a used pinball machine in the North East and need to ship it to Texas. The seller offered me to ship it with fedex for about 450 USD which I considered fairly expensive. Can you advise on alternatives?

Thanks,
Erik
Last machine I purchased came from Texas to Boston via "Forward Air". It was strapped down to a pallet with the top folded down (piece of cardboard between it and top of game) along with some padding. I had to go to terminal in freight terminal in East Boston to pick up. cost was about $200. That was in '04. I'm guessing with fuels costs it should be a little higher.

$450 for door to door service from NE to Texas doesn't seem that out of line if it includes packaging/crating charge.

Quick Reply: Off Topic: How to ship a pinball machine?