Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 195 Posts

Well,

We are paying around $1.60 - $1.70 per litre or $6.08 and $6.46 per gallon RIGHT NOW!!

Since the Australian dollar is almost worth as much as the US peso (!!!) - it is almost dollar for dollar - and yesterday whilst at the track my car was showing 47l per 100klms....

You guys have had it lucky for a long time now.....

Simon
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read today that it takes 450 bushels of corn to fill one SUV fuel tank with ethanol. Probably calculated on 25 gallons. Ethanol also has less BTU's than gasoline, so mileage will drop.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:03 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Here's an idea...sell you 993, put the money in oil and gas, take your profits in a few months and buy a GT3.

Seriously though, I just bought a DD and decided on an Audi A4 2.0T. Love the looks, love the interior appointments and I get a fun 250HP and 300TQ (with a chip) that sipps 25MPG city and 35MPG hwy. I took it to PCAs AutoX this past Saturday and got better times than some Boxsters and the only other 993.

And like Zack said, we've been paying well over $5/gal here in Canada for some time now so don't complain. We're lucky we're not in Europe.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:53 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm used to high gas prices as I used to live in the UK. In live in Hong Kong now and the gas prices are also high. Tax on fuel is very high in Europe and places like HK. The motorist is an easy target for the government.
In my experience, despite paying stupid prices for gas, if you love your car they will never price you out of the driving seat.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 993 gas expense is minimal. It's a weekend car, so it gets a fill-up every 2 months or so. Bottom line...I'll never get rid of the 993. If push comes to shove, I'll just park it and not drive it until things smooth out...like I did when I first bought it. I was in NO position to spend $60K on a 2nd car when I got it. I figured out a way to get it in the garage, let it sit for a while...driven VERY little, and waited until my finances "caught up". Now it's paid for, and it's never leaving. I have a new '08 535i daily driver (6-speed ) for my 100 miles/day commute. After 11K miles, it is averaging 24.2 mpg. All things considered, I think that is pretty good...I'm kinda in the middle of the mpg thing...not 40mpg, but not 15mpg either.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen
My 993 gas expense is minimal. It's a weekend car, so it gets a fill-up every 2 months or so. Bottom line...I'll never get rid of the 993. If push comes to shove, I'll just park it and not drive it until things smooth out...like I did when I first bought it. I was in NO position to spend $60K on a 2nd car when I got it. I figured out a way to get it in the garage, let it sit for a while...driven VERY little, and waited until my finances "caught up". Now it's paid for, and it's never leaving. I have a new '08 535i daily driver (6-speed ) for my 100 miles/day commute. After 11K miles, it is averaging 24.2 mpg. All things considered, I think that is pretty good...I'm kinda in the middle of the mpg thing...not 40mpg, but not 15mpg either.
If you are only filling up every 2 months, you may have some bad gas in your car when you go to drive it. Gas starts to loose octane after a couple weeks. I try to drive mine at least once a week, however sometimes I dont get to drive it for 2 weeks at a time, or even longer in the winter.
I have been keeping a little fuel in the car at all times, at least a 1/4 tank...then when it is time to drive I will put in what I am going to burn, 6 gal or more. This way I know I always have some fresh gas in the car.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Well,

We are paying around $1.60 - $1.70 per litre or $6.08 and $6.46 per gallon RIGHT NOW!!

Since the Australian dollar is almost worth as much as the US peso (!!!) - it is almost dollar for dollar - and yesterday whilst at the track my car was showing 47l per 100klms....

You guys have had it lucky for a long time now.....

Simon
Unfortunately our economy may not be able to adjust to 7 a gallon gas. We have been on cheap gas for a long time. Even though we are still almost half of what you pay we are starting to feal the pinch, as a whole. Of course, there are many in this country that can afford fuel no matter what the price.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen
... I'll just park it and not drive it until things smooth out...like I did when I first bought it. I was in NO position to spend $60K on a 2nd car when I got it. I figured out a way to get it in the garage, let it sit for a while...driven VERY little, and waited until my finances "caught up". ...
Allen,
What did you use for a daily driver when you first got the 993 since you couldn't afford a second vehicle?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WarpMan
Allen,
What did you use for a daily driver when you first got the 993 since you couldn't afford a second vehicle?
I had a '95 525i and my wife had an Accord. She made me a deal...I could get the 993, only if she started driving the 525i and I started driving the Accord. I thought about it for about .0001 picoseconds and then I said ok... About two years later, she had seen enough of my misery...and said she wanted her Accord back and I could have the 525i back...she really could care less about cars...as long as it runs, she's happy. Did I mention I have a fantastic wife...

Quick Reply: They're predicting gas at $7 gal next yr (oil at $200 barrel).Still keeping your 993?