Interior Color: Blue
VIN: WP0CA2990WS340432
Engine: 6 Cylinders
Transmission: Manual

Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 5:38 PM
To: Fred
Subject: RE: Cars.com used car lead for Byron Mora #35178533

Hello,

We will make this deal trough eBay Motors because I am away with my job here in Canada and before leaving I had prearranged shipping with eBay and DAS so my presence isn't necessary. The car is in a warehouse of DAS, ready for delivery. In exchange I will offer a 5 days period of testing the car from the moment you receive it from the shipping company. If you want to make this deal I will need the following details from you:

full name and address
shipping address
phone #

After I will have all this details I will forward them to eBay and I will proceed the order. eBay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them. I wait your email with the requested details.

Thank you,

Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 9:40 PM
To: byron mora
Subject: RE: Cars.com used car lead for Byron Mora #35178533

Can you send me a copy of the title with VIN#

Can I come and see it? What is you address?

Fred
Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Something definitely fishy there...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
tony soprano
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There must be a scammer's handbook with fill-in-the-blank form letters to perpetrate fraud. I have a friend that responded to a Craigslist ad and received a virtually identical email.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on! The guy is just trying to make a buck. Life is hard for a pimp for crying out loud. What must it be like for a scam artist?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Send him some bogus info and lets see his wooden nose grow!! If anything, it will waste his time on you and keep his attention off ones that will get duped!!

(BTW, you know its a scam, cause look at the ebay customer service! Ive never been able to get a human at fleabay let alone have them arrange sell of a car!!)
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default This one is a scam too...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Ask me how I know!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Ask me how I know! [/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll bite. How do you know?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:19 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Not that I doubt there's something weird here, but...

He asked for a name, address and phone number???

Isn't that public information?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiesan
Say, that's a nice looking car. You should go down and check it out in person.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:12 PM
fredcalero
Racer

Default cars.com Consumer Support

Greetings,

Using the information you provided we were able to locate the ad. It was previously determined not to be a legitimate listing and removed as fraudulent. While we are very sorry that you encountered this unfortunate situation, we are grateful that you have taken the time to bring it to our attention.

If you see any other suspicious advertisements or have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for using cars.com.

Christopher Almodovar
cars.com Consumer Support
Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
Ask me how I know!
Ok, I'll bite. How do you know?[/QUOTE]

95FL993CAB... it's all your fault! You posted this a couple weeks back:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/426260-1996-blue-coupe-for-sale-in-dallas-27k-47k-miles.html

Nice looking '96 993 C2 for $27k. I thought so too! I called the guy, this Thomas Kaiser in Dallas, once per day starting the day I saw your thread. Got his voice mail every day, and his voice mail was full, for a freaking week. How irritating!

8am my time (Seattle) on Monday the 5th my phone rang, it was Mr. Kaiser. He got my number from his caller ID and must of assumed I was calling about his car. He was facing a lawsuit and needed to sell his car like right now. He said people were beating him up on the price, and he had relisted the car with pics now for $29k, but $27k would do it. This car was mine!

It took a few calls and looking at the pics to see it was a ROW car. Strange he never mentioned that. Also strange was that he claimed to have bought the car from a guy in Florida he knew for 20 years. When I asked to talk to that guy about the story, there was a lot of stammering and stuttering if you know what I mean.

Didn't matter! I wanted this thing, the ROW part was a plus for me. I Paypalled him $500 and got on a plane to arrive Wednesday night the 7th with a cashier's check for $28,500.00 so he got a total of $29k.

When I got off the plane he went dark on me again. Only after I called him the next morning Thursday the 8th from a Holiday Inn courtesy phone 5 minutes from his house did he answer the phone. The bastard had entered in to a contract to sell the car to a Nebaska dealer the next day (the 9th) for less money!

Meanwhile there I was 2200 miles from home with payment in full for his car expecting to drive it home. The 'EFFING SOB would not even show me the car so that I could determine if I wanted to pay a premium for it from the dealer. He told me he would ask the dealer how much they needed not to buy the car from him and for me to call back in 15 minutes. He stopped answering my calls at that point and I never heard from him again. COWARD!!!

WTF!!!

In retropsect, I was premature in flying down there. However, it is now pretty apparant that there was something fishy with the story, otherwise why would he have balked? The dealer he sold it to didn't ask any questions. I've been on the phone with them and the salesperson did not even know it was a ROW car.

I feel better now
Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
tony soprano
Advanced

Originally Posted by kiesan
In retropsect, I was premature in flying down there. However, it is now pretty apparant that there was something fishy with the story, otherwise why would he have balked? The dealer he sold it to didn't ask any questions. I've been on the phone with them and the salesperson did not even know it was a ROW car.
You've talked to the dealer that ended up purchasing the car? If so, it doesn't sound like it was really a scam per se. More a case of a seller with lousy ethics. Have you had any problems getting back the $500 deposit you sent via Paypal?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tony soprano
You've talked to the dealer that ended up purchasing the car? If so, it doesn't sound like it was really a scam per se. More a case of a seller with lousy ethics. Have you had any problems getting back the $500 deposit you sent via Paypal?
It was not a scam per se, no. There is a car, and it was a helluva deal (I'm guessing) for anything below $30k, which the dealer got it for and I should have but did not.

I do think there is something fishy about the car's past that the owner did not feel comfortable discussing with me. Otherwise, why not take the extra grand I had to give him a day before the dealer was there to buy it?

I was there and back so fast I was able to cancel the Paypal deposit before it went through.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:25 AM
KeithR3
Pro

Hey! That's from my cousin, he's from Nigeria...
Old 05-14-2008, 03:05 AM
gr8nine93
Instructor

Kiesan: I live in ORegon and stick to the West coast. I have always found the car I wanted within two hours by air. WHat happened to you is the kind of thing that makes one want to send Guido over to the sellers place!

Quick Reply: SCAM on cars.com